can't open an .idml file in either 5.5 or 6

Kathleen

Jan 3, 2013, 11:26:13 AM1/3/13
to indesign-talk@googlegroups.com talk
I can't open an .idml file in either 5.5 or 6.

"Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

What to do please?

Kat

Thomas Olbrich

Jan 3, 2013, 11:30:46 AM1/3/13
to InDesign Talk - Google
may be renaming into .inx and open with CS4?

or, if you like, email it to me, I'll give it a try.

- thomas

Am 03.01.13 17:26 schrieb "Kathleen" unter <kat...@mindspring.com>:

Kathleen

Jan 3, 2013, 1:00:37 PM1/3/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Thomas,

I'll send you a dropbox link. IDDs are cs5.5 files. The idd file is stalling, but not crashing, after I save the IDML file. When I force quit it leaves the idlk file, and I think that creates a problem open the idd file.

Kat
McGraphics Design, Inc.
(626) 799-2195
http://www.mcgraphics.us

Kathleen

Jan 3, 2013, 1:37:14 PM1/3/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I tried turning off the preflight then exporting. Now can't close IDD. Same issue.
Kat
McGraphics Design, Inc.
(626) 799-2195
http://www.mcgraphics.us

Bret Perry

Jan 3, 2013, 2:01:10 PM1/3/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 1/3/13 10:37 AM, "Kathleen" <kat...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I tried turning off the preflight then exporting. Now can't close IDD.
>Same issue.
>Kat
>McGraphics Design, Inc.
>(626) 799-2195
>http://www.mcgraphics.us

Try making a book, turning OFF auto-page-numbering in the book, then
import your doc to the book and export IDML from book panel.
Exporting via "Book" panel does not use the background processor, so yoou
may be able to get it to work if background processing is the issue (as it
often is).

Bret Perry
Studio IT Manager/Production Artist
ph 626-463-9365
fax 626-449-2201
bpe...@russreid.com

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by calling the Help Desk at 866-682-8852.

Kathleen

Jan 3, 2013, 2:22:03 PM1/3/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
No cs5.5 options to export as and Idml file.

Kat
McGraphics Design, Inc.
(626) 799-2195
http://www.mcgraphics.us

William Adams

May 30, 2013, 11:03:14 AM5/30/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On May 30, 2013, at 10:42 AM, egrah...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am having the same problem! HELP! I dont want to lose this work.... I can't open an .idml file in either 5.5 or 6.
>
> "Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

Did you check to see if the .idml file is compleat?

Hard to check now that it's a .zip archive though.... did you try duplicating the file, changing the suffix to .zip and unzipping?

If you'd like to send it to me off-list, I can check to see if it's caused by some corruption on your local copies of InDesign (I don't think this is likely --- try standard trouble-shooting, reboot, clear caches, &c.).

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

Kathleen

May 30, 2013, 11:34:33 AM5/30/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Just curious. You mean changing .idml to .zip without compressing or doing anything else?

Kat
McGraphics Design, Inc.
(626) 799-2195
http://www.mcgraphics.us

William Adams

May 30, 2013, 1:16:54 PM5/30/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On May 30, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Kathleen wrote:

> Just curious. You mean changing .idml to .zip without compressing or doing anything else?

Yes, a .idml file is actually a .zip archive / bundle structure.

If you change the extension to .zip, then it can be unzipped w/ normal tools and examined.

If it doesn't unzip, then one knows that the .zip archive structure is corrupt.

Lauren Werkiser

Mar 30, 2015, 8:09:47 PM3/30/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I'm having this same issue.  There are two idml files I was just in a couple days ago, and now they will not open in CS6 with the same error message....  Was anyone able to find a resolution?

katmcg

Apr 7, 2015, 9:06:34 PM4/7/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Did you make sure that your CS6 has all the latest updates. I was having that problem until I updated.