Macintosh malware

Michael Brady

Mar 7, 2016, 10:50:19 AM3/7/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Alert to Mac users:

First-ever reported Macintosh-specific malware detected. It’s “ransomeware,” meaning it encrypts your HD and won’t decrypt it until you pay a ransom. Here’s the Yahoo news story:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/apple-users-targeted-first-known-mac-ransomware-campaign-183308953--finance.html

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

Caleb Clauset

Mar 7, 2016, 12:48:15 PM3/7/16
to InDesign talk
It's news in that it's the first observed and functioning Mac-specific malware, but it's much ado about nothing unless you downloaded and installed the infected version of the Transmission BitTorrent client within the last 7 days and had previously a) disabled PowerNap (System Preferences → Energy Saver → Enable Power Nap); or b) disabled GateKeeper (System Preferences → Security & Privacy → General → Allow apps downloaded from anywhere); or c) launched Transmission and left it open because you were actively torrenting. In other words, the potential number of people affected is quite small and even if you got your hands on the infected version unless you match the above criteria (disabled PowerNap, disabled GateKeeper, or were actively torrenting before Apple revoked the certificate) you wouldn't get infected. But, it's news because it concerns Apple and the media… well, they do what they do.

Isaiah Sheppard

Mar 7, 2016, 8:41:38 PM3/7/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the warning.

Isaiah

Emily L. Ferguson

Mar 7, 2016, 9:06:50 PM3/7/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 7, 2016, at 8:41 PM, Isaiah Sheppard <isaiah.jr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

Isaiah

Presumably you have followed the rest of the thread?

_________________

Emily L. Ferguson

Rick Gordon

Mar 7, 2016, 10:39:48 PM3/7/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
More details:

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/03/08/ransomware-arrives-on-the-mac-osxkeranger-a-what-you-need-to-know/

---------------------
On 3/7/16, 9:48 AM, Caleb Clauset wrote:
> It's news in that it's the first observed and functioning Mac-specific
> malware, but it's much ado about nothing _unless_ you downloaded and
> installed the infected version of the Transmission BitTorrent client
> within the last 7 days _and_ had previously a) disabled PowerNap
> (/System Preferences → Energy Saver → Enable Power Nap)/; or
> b) disabled GateKeeper (/System Preferences → Security & Privacy →
> General → Allow apps downloaded from/ *anywhere*); or c) launched
> Transmission and left it open because you were actively torrenting. In
> other words, the potential number of people affected is quite small
> and even if you got your hands on the infected version unless you
> match the above criteria (disabled PowerNap, disabled GateKeeper, or
> were actively torrenting before Apple revoked the certificate) you
> wouldn't get infected. But, it's news because it concerns Apple and
> the media… well, they do what they do.

> RICK GORDON
> EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING
> WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com

Isaiah Sheppard

Mar 8, 2016, 7:04:06 AM3/8/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I didn't see Rick's info; saw the others.

Robert Wexler

May 23, 2016, 8:54:05 AM5/23/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to print some spreads using Badia page frame, ID CS3 on a Mac, and it's crashing. Anyone ever try this? I'm using CS3 because that's what I used to do the book.

I'm now on CS6, so I can try with that, but there's a problem I never solved with images from a master page appearing on pages based on that master even though they've been deleted. I asked about that problem a while ago and no one was able to help.

Robert

google

May 24, 2016, 8:34:34 AM5/24/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I found the auto-page-frame scripts/add-ons problematic so only used one a few times.

Just for my own information, I did a test with four masters: A, B based on A, C based on B, and D. I put a page outline on D, based A on D, and all the masters picked up the page frame. When I deleted that master, the page outline was removed from all the masters and all the pages.

However, because CS3 is not behaving well with master-page items, you could add a layer called something obvious like “OUTLINES! REMOVE!” to hold a page outline. You could have a three-sided box with no stroke on the inside for facing pages so there would not be a line down the middle of a spread when you export a pdf as spreads.

Rebecca Evans
Senior Designer/Compositor
University of North Carolina Press