Re: [ID] Digest for indesign-talk@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Olav Martin Kvern

Aug 10, 2017, 5:41:25 PM8/10/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Isaiah Sheppard wrote: "Can you make your images correctly sized before importing them via Data
Merge? I'm not seeing any info so far that says you can resize the image to
fit once you run the data merge."

Images placed via Data Merge will behave like images imported via any other method. Data Merge simply copies the original arrangement and properties of the template the user set up, then populates each copy with the text and graphics specified in the data source file. The original poster said that the images were resizing after they'd been placed by Data Merge and then adjusted manually.

It's not really a Data Merge question, I don't think. The real question is: why are the images changing? It's a bit of a puzzler.

My guess is that it has to do with either the object style and/or the frame fitting options applied to the original image frame in the data template. Take a look at those. My further guess is that there's a lag as InDesign recomposes the story (due to lots of records or a complex template setup?) that makes the graphic revert to the original scaling/cropping.

Again, just guessing here. But there's nothing magic or different about elements created/placed by Data Merge. They're just normal page items.

Thanks,

Ole