“clean” the gunk out of my decade old IDds

katmcg

May 16, 2016, 8:55:53 PM5/16/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Is there a script which will allow me to “clean” the gunk out of my decade old ID, currently cs6, files?

Kat

Dick Margulis

May 16, 2016, 9:06:31 PM5/16/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Would saving them as IDML and then back to INDD do the job? (I'm not
sure, just asking. But it seems like it might.)

Michael Brady

May 16, 2016, 9:43:06 PM5/16/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Dick

> Would saving them as IDML and then back to INDD do the job? (I'm not sure, just asking. But it seems like it might.)

Save as to a new file will do the same trick.

I think.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

frame....@fastwebnet.it

May 16, 2016, 9:58:10 PM5/16/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
>> Would saving them as IDML and then back to INDD do the job? (I'm not sure, ju
st asking. But it seems like it might.)

>Save as to a new file will do the same trick.

AFAIK, not really.

I always thought that "Save as" INDD files would remove any "bloat" or spurious
stuff from them.
But recently I had a file growing into absurd size (from 50 to 250 MB), just bec
ause I copy/pasted many pictures from other files, and "Save as" had been useles
s.
Sensing that something wrong was going on, I exported as IDML (or INX) and impor
ted back into ID...
Bam!!! The file size went from 250 back to 60-70 MB.
Another file that had been worked over again and again, it too went from 150 MB
to 70 MB.

This happened on ID CS3, but I suspect that behavior (bug?) is still in modern I
D.
It's worth a shot to try exporting and see what happens.

I'm curious to hear opinions and experience from other users about this...