Changing size of book

Sharon Villines

Aug 1, 2017, 12:02:59 PM8/1/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
With stunning foresight, I have sized a book at 55.6p instead of 55.5. And the copy editor is recommending that move the sidebar quotes farther from the body.

All the pages (375) are 1p too large but only 200 or so have sidebars.

If I change the dimensions on the master, what kind of trouble am I getting my self into?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities." Walt Kelly

C F Majors

Aug 1, 2017, 4:46:34 PM8/1/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I would crop the PDF that you send to the printer if you find it wonky to resize the pages.

And it may work just fine to redo the setup size. It depends on where the windows touch the margins, as to how they move in resizing (IIRC).

Carol Majors / Raleigh NC
Sent from my iPhone

katmcg

Aug 25, 2017, 12:26:55 PM8/25/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
What did you end up doing? I like Carol’s suggestion.
Similar problem 8.25" to 8.5. I’ve been using liquid layout and even tried the page tool holing down option to make resizing stick.
Kat

Sharon Villines

Aug 25, 2017, 12:37:33 PM8/25/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

> On Aug 25, 2017, at 12:26 PM, katmcg <kat...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> What did you end up doing? I like Carol’s suggestion.
> Similar problem 8.25" to 8.5. I’ve been using liquid layout and even tried the page tool holing down option to make resizing stick.

I ended up resizing the book. It’s a print version and I was afraid of the sidebars and illustrations would be messed up. It wasn’t a huge problem because I had to do a run through to check placement of illustrations anyway.

I was just hoping there was some kind of command that would work on a book.

The problem now is that ePub is still reading some documents as having different size pages, reading something as links that aren’t, and inserted the wrong illustrations. Fortunately it produces a detailed list of errors. I just exported the file so haven’t checked them yet.

When personal computers became common, I asked the treasurer of non-profit organization if the computer makes things faster. Yes, he said, but then you just raise your expectations because you can do even more.

Still true. A PDF used to be enough.

Sharon
------
Sharon Villines, Washington, DC
"As long as you have two or fewer, your ducks are always in a row." The Covert Comic

katmcg

Aug 26, 2017, 10:33:00 PM8/26/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I resized a file and it left in different sizes for MPs though everything show the same size.
No idea why, grump.

> When personal computers became common, I asked the treasurer of non-profit organization if the computer makes things faster. Yes, he said, but then you just raise your expectations because you can do even more.

that’s great. I’m doing a book, directory and redoing lots of ID tutorials on tables, paragraph styles, layout, resizing. And just come up with more and more I think I should do.

I think I preferred doing layouts on a napkin then storyboarding them on real paper.

Kat