InDesign CS6 cannot display PDF form

Valter Viglietti - Frame Studio

Oct 30, 2017, 8:03:54 AM10/30/17
to InDesign Talk
I met a strange behaviour with a PDF form.

I compiled the form within Adobe Reader X, but I couldn't add my signature
importing a scanned handwritten signature.
So I thought "No problem, I can import the PDF form in InDesign, put the
signature file on top of it, and export it as a PDF".

Problem is, my InDesign CS6 cannot handle that PDF: it shows a blank page
with this message:
"Please wait...
If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the
document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.
You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or
Linux® by visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download ..."

And it's not just display: when I try to export that page, I get a PDF blank
page with the same message.

I'm on Mac OSX 10.9.
In the PDF Properties, it says:
- PDF Producer: Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2
- PDF Version: 1.7, Adobe Extension Level 3 (Acrobat 9.x)

I wonder why ID cannot handle such PDF...

If anybody want to check it, here's the PDF:
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/meta617ukjfzepu/mod_rta-OK-TEST.pdf?dl=1>

TIA,
Valter

David Creamer

Oct 30, 2017, 5:41:13 PM10/30/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
A LiveCycle form is based on XML, so it is not a "normal" PDF. Most programs can understand that type of PDF.
The best you could do is try to save the out as an image, such as TIFF, from Acrobat Pro.

David Creamer
IDEAS Training
http://www.ideastraining.com

Adobe Authorized Instructor & Certified Expert since 1995
Authorized QuarkXPress Instructor and Certified Expert since 1988
Authorized FileMaker Instructor
Back to top
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/indesign-talk/join.

Valter Viglietti - Frame Studio

Oct 30, 2017, 9:30:27 PM10/30/17
to InDesign Talk
> The best you could do is try to save the out as an image, such as TIFF, from
> Acrobat Pro.

That's a possibility, but I wanted to keep the text as real text (not
rasterizing it).

So I found a hint online, and that was "printing" the PDF using Adobe PDF
Printer (or PDFWriter). I did it and I got a "normal" PDF, that I was able
to modify with Acrobat Pro.

Ann_Camilla

Oct 31, 2017, 6:15:07 AM10/31/17
to InDesign talk
I too use CS6 on Mac OS X 10.9 and have no problem seeing the PDF you uploaded. Can I help?

Valter Viglietti - Frame Studio

Oct 31, 2017, 9:12:04 AM10/31/17
to InDesign Talk
Il giorno 31/10/17 11:15, "Ann_Camilla" ha scritto:

> I too use CS6 on Mac OS X 10.9 and have no problem seeing the PDF you
> uploaded. Can I help?

Thank you, but I already solved my problem "printing" (to file) the PDF
using PDFWriter.

Perhaps you have also installed Acrobat (part of CS6, I only have ID), and
maybe that's why your system is able to handle such kind of PDF.

Thank you anyway,
Valter