Follow up on exporting from ID to ePub.

Sharon Villines

Sep 6, 2017, 4:15:44 PM9/6/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
When we last talked I was having trouble exporting from ID to ePub without almost 2,000 errors. I tracked it down to the indexing but was unable to delete the index — even when I delted all teh markers in the text and ran a script from Olav to delete all the index topics.

I successfully cut and pasted the main text, without sidebars and illustrations to Apple Pages and had no errors. I had to re place the illustrations changing them to jpeg and reducing them to 72 dpi. Not all made that transition. I put in a link to the website and said look for them there.

BUT THEN the Pages file of 1.4 MB was 11.4 MB in ePub— too large for the validator and for some vendors. I resized all the photos again and removed a lot of page breaks. Did everything else I could think of. No change.

Cruising the forums I saw a message from a person who deleted embedded fonts in the books he buys so they will not take up so much room on his devices. I thought fonts had to be embedded, but I didn’t know why since readers can just choose their own anyway. (Have not a clue how he deletes embedded fonts from protected files.)

When I created an ePub file without the fonts embedded, it was 4MB. I can’t imagine how fonts would add 7+ MB but they did. I used Warnock Pro with italics and bold added as character styles. Nothing fancy. Not even background highlighting.

I had not found this mentioned in any of the user support sites.

So the print version is in printing and the digital version is validated and publicized. I’m not sure when digital books go into “print."

It odes help be working with ones self instead of a client. I was able to move the sidebar quotes and asides to inline quotes and drop many of them without consulting.

Thank you for all your help,
Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Sociocracy: A Deeper Democracy
http://www.sociocracy.info

Paul Marriner

Sep 7, 2017, 3:36:45 PM9/7/17
to indesign-talk
Thanks Sharon. I'll be sure to check font embedding the next time I run into oversize epubs.

Paul