Packaging mishaps

Bret Perry

Apr 3, 2015, 1:25:12 PM4/3/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

Mac OSX 10.9.5 and 10.10.2

InDesign CS6 and CC2014.1 - Packaging a file or book - Asian fonts are NOT all packaged. -- I have to package Asian fonts by hand.

Some are /Library/Fonts installed by Apple (part of OS) so that I understand (but don't like it).

Others, such as DFHeiHK W12.otf are purchased commercial fonts - why don't they package?

Error NOT shown in summary dialog which shows "all" errors before/while packaging.

Error will be reported only when done IF you select and read the error report text-document.

InDesign CC2014: Packaging a Book with files and links on Windows server and “Update links in Package” selected causes source InDesign files as well as the packaged InDesign files in the to be updated with packaged folder’s links - breaking all the links to the server in original files. CS6 is OK. I hear this is more or a Windows issue, but Windows server on Mac too for me.

Anybody else have these issues?

Bret Perry
Studio IT Manager/Production Artist

ph 626-463-9365
fax 626-449-2201
bpe...@russreid.com

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by calling the Help Desk at 855-486-5519.

William Adams

Apr 3, 2015, 1:36:11 PM4/3/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Apr 3, 2015, at 1:25 PM, Bret Perry wrote:

> InDesign CS6 and CC2014.1 - Packaging a file or book - Asian fonts are NOT all packaged. -- I have to package Asian fonts by hand.
> Some are /Library/Fonts installed by Apple (part of OS) so that I understand (but don't like it).
> Others, such as DFHeiHK W12.otf are purchased commercial fonts - why don't they package?

Isn't there a specific note / option for this? Usually they're not included 'cause they're so large (and the commercial ones have specific licenses).

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

Bret Perry

Apr 3, 2015, 3:40:14 PM4/3/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that's what CJK means... (Chinese Japanese Korean).
So it does tell you it's not going to package them.
But no way I can see to allow packaging Asian fonts.
Annoying.
>--

Bret Perry
Studio IT Manager/Production Artist
ph 626-463-9365
fax 626-449-2201
bpe...@russreid.com

Martin Wright

Apr 4, 2015, 10:58:50 PM4/4/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I imported text into an ID booklet and formatted it successfully. After working on the back page (not part of the imported text), I went back to the earlier pages with the imported text. There were regular rectangular black boxes obscuring parts of the text — sometimes covering three lines of text, sometimes more. I could not select the black boxes to get rid of them. The boxes are embedded in the text frames, and in some cases above a text frame, but they move with the text frame if I try to shift the text.

Where would these have come from, and can anyone suggest how I can get rid of them?

Martin

Dick Margulis

Apr 5, 2015, 6:09:53 AM4/5/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Several possibilities come to mind. First, we'll need to know more:
  1. By "imported" do you mean you used the Place command or something different (such as copying and pasting)?
  2. Did the text come from a Word file or something different?
  3. Were there images, or perhaps equations, in the original file?
  4. Do you have hidden marks visible in InDesign?
Finally, can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

Olav Martin Kvern

Apr 5, 2015, 6:38:23 PM4/5/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

My guess is that it's underline and/or strikethrough formatting run amok. Take a look at the underline/strikethrough options for the affected text.

My next thought is that they're paragraph rules behaving badly.

Also, you could look at the story in the Story Editor view to see what the text is. You might see that it's an inline graphic that's causing the problem.

Thanks,

Ole

Martin Wright

Apr 5, 2015, 8:57:40 PM4/5/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Dick

It was command-D (place) in order to preserve bold and italic formatting. It came from Word file that was converted to RTF before placing in ID (I do that regularly with no issues). No images or equations. Nothing unusual shows up with hidden characters visible. I have attached a screenshot (does that get through to you)?

Martin

Roy McCoy

Apr 5, 2015, 9:09:21 PM4/5/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Martin:

I have attached a screenshot (does that get through to you)?

It got through to me. I've run into this kind of black-box thing. I'm not 100% sure, but I vaguely remember it as just some kind of a glitch. I got rid of the box or boxes when it happened and though I don't remember exactly how (sorry), I do remember that it didn't take very long. So just play around with it and you'll probably get it worked out. I'd suggest copying the whole text to a new doc and see if that does it.

Roy

Martin Wright

Apr 5, 2015, 9:11:54 PM4/5/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Ole

No underline or strikethrough (zero for whole document). The story editor looks like a straight text file. As you may have seen in my other reply (if the screenshot got to you), the black boxes seem unrelated to the text, but merely locked into the text frames as though they are on a separate layer within the text frames.

Martin

Pauline Johnson

Apr 5, 2015, 9:27:35 PM4/5/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

Just a thought ... You mentioned specific formatting you wanted to preserve from Word - perhaps try creating new paragraph styles and then replace existing styles that came in from Words with the new ones? Drag the Word style to the trash and you can assign the new style ... Not sure if it will work but sometimes Word styles  run amok in my experience. Good luck!

Martin Wright

Apr 5, 2015, 11:26:33 PM4/5/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the suggestions. It turned out that the problem had to do with rules and borders. In the paragraph pallet > paragraph rules I unchecked the “rule on” box above and below and the black boxes disappeared! (Pretty thick rules!).

I guess the problem probably originated in the Word file I was sent.

Martin

Harry S. Pariser

Apr 6, 2015, 3:19:44 PM4/6/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
The driver for my Kensington Opticla Elite no longer functions with Yosemite (Mac OSX).

Any suggestions for a good replacement, especially one suited for left handers and a 30-inch external monitor?

Thank you.

Olav Martin Kvern

Apr 6, 2015, 7:45:59 PM4/6/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

So, my second guess, then.:-)

Thanks,

Ole

Christophe Dhélin

Apr 7, 2015, 12:03:50 PM4/7/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Asian font files are not build as western ones. I think that's the reason they are not packaged (yes, the famous CJK).

Christophe