Tip: Rounding inside corners

Michael Brady

May 1, 2015, 4:47:44 PM5/1/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I discovered a capability that I did not know ID had. You can apply a rounded corner to an object of any shape, not just to a rectangle. And the objects can have inside corners, too. But when you do it to an irregular shape, you can only apply the effect to all the angles, not just one or two. If you want to make a curved inside corner but leave the other corners angular, then you will have to use the Pathfinder tool to trim off the unwanted curved corners. Here’s a small-sized screen snap.

Step 1. Create and arrange two shapes. (You can use the pen tool just to draw a freehand shape).
Step 2. Join them with the Pathfinder tool. Note the inside square corners.
Step 3. Open Object > Corner options. Only one corner is enabled. Select the style you want and the size. The result is the shape with all rounded corners.
Step 4. Draw an empty rectangle and position it to clip off the ends of the shape with the unwanted rounded corners (Fig 3). Use Pathfinder tool to crop off the ends (third icon, which is the union of two shapes).

Voilà. Shape with round interior angles.

Enjoy

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

C F Majors

May 1, 2015, 10:14:40 PM5/1/15
to Indesign talk 2010
Thats quite fine! Thanks!

Carol Majors / Publications unltd
Raleigh NC 27605-1458

I discovered a capability that I did not know ID had. You can apply a rounded corner to an object of any shape, not just to a rectangle. And the objects can have inside corners, too. But when you do it to an irregular shape, you can only apply the effect to all the angles, not just one or two. If you want to make a curved inside corner but leave the other corners angular, then you will have to use the Pathfinder tool to trim off the unwanted curved corners. Here’s a small-sized screen snap. <Rounding_corners.png>

karen kennedy