CS6 and El Capitan

Graeme Forbes

Oct 29, 2015, 7:52:54 PM10/29/15
to InDesign talk
I keep getting nagged by the Apple Store to upgrade to the latest Mac OS, "El Capitan". Right now I'm running CS6 under 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and 10.8.something ("Mountain Lion", iirc) and I've always been an enthusiastic subscriber to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Still, if it turned out that El Cap's promise of improved performance is accurate, I'd be tempted. (a) Is anyone here running CS6 under El Cap, and if so, are there problems? (b) Is there a noticeable performance boost in CS6 or any of the other common apps over 10.6 or 10.8?

Thanks,
Graeme Forbes

Michael Brady

Oct 29, 2015, 9:06:01 PM10/29/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Graeme

> I keep getting nagged by the Apple Store to upgrade to the latest Mac OS, "El Capitan". Right now I'm running CS6 under 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and 10.8.something ("Mountain Lion", iirc) and I've always been an enthusiastic subscriber to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Still, if it turned out that El Cap's promise of improved performance is accurate, I'd be tempted. (a) Is anyone here running CS6 under El Cap, and if so, are there problems? (b) Is there a noticeable performance boost in CS6 or any of the other common apps over 10.6 or 10.8?

What is your computer? I’m running El Capitan without any noticeable problems on a 2012 27” iMac with 8GB of RAM. I run ID CC2015 on it, but occasionally, I have to go back to earlier versions, which I have. I’ve run CS6 on El Capitan without problems (but only briefly).

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

Andrew Brown

Oct 30, 2015, 3:06:16 AM10/30/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 30 oct. 2015, at 00:52, Graeme Forbes <grm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I keep getting nagged by the Apple Store to upgrade to the latest Mac OS, "El Capitan". Right now I'm running CS6 under 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and 10.8.something ("Mountain Lion", iirc) and I've always been an enthusiastic subscriber to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Still, if it turned out that El Cap's promise of improved performance is accurate, I'd be tempted. (a) Is anyone here running CS6 under El Cap, and if so, are there problems? (b) Is there a noticeable performance boost in CS6 or any of the other common apps over 10.6 or 10.8?

Adobe has been widely taken to task for failing to tell us that EC and ID are not ready for each other, waiting may be wise. — AB

Karol Keane

Oct 30, 2015, 6:46:20 AM10/30/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you

Keanedesign.com

Judy Hicks

Oct 30, 2015, 6:11:58 PM10/30/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I have just switched over to el capitan and am running indesign cs6 with
no problems.
judy

---
Judy Hicks
Plush Design
613 Balra Drive
El Cerrito CA 94530

510 524-0265 tel

www.plushdesign.net

On 10/30/15, 3:46 AM, "Karol Keane" <indesi...@googlegroups.com on

Graeme Forbes

Oct 30, 2015, 6:50:51 PM10/30/15
to InDesign talk
Thanks for all your replies. The moral I take away is to be cautiously optimistic, and only try the OS upgrade when I've got plenty of time in reserve for troubleshooting. Michael -- I'm using a 27" iMac which, like yours, is 2012 vintage (I think), also a recent MB Air (2014 maybe) and one of the last 17" MacBooks, which may predate the iMac. Actually, the 17" MacBook is the one that matters most -- it came with Lion or Mountain Lion and I had a heck of a time downgrading it to Snow Leopard (many incompatibilities btw Lion and other programs) and I don't want to go thro' that again.

I notice that no-one has gone overboard on the alleged performance boost of El Cap. Since I switched to solid state drives I get the spinning pizza far too often, in my opinion. If that went away in El Cap....

Martin Wright

Oct 31, 2015, 1:41:39 AM10/31/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I upgraded to El Capitan a few days ago.

"Show item info" (in icon view) *should* show the pixel count of a photo when the box is ticked. It still does, but with El Capitan only with a *new* icon saved in El Capitan. The item info previously saved in Yosemite and earlier is no longer showing.

Has anyone else noticed this? I rely on this quick way of checking if images I need for a job are low or high resolution. I always prefer to use icon view for folders that contain photos and graphics because you can easily see photos in the Finder, was well as the “item info” without any mouse clicks.

Is it just my computer, or a case of Apple not caring about users who may have years of photos on their computers.

Martin

Martin Wright

Oct 31, 2015, 2:35:27 AM10/31/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

Ann_Camilla

Oct 31, 2015, 12:30:04 PM10/31/15
to InDesign talk
I'm running CS6 on Mavericks (10.9.5) and it all works well, if that's any help at all.

Ann

Sharon Villines

Oct 31, 2015, 2:26:22 PM10/31/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

> On Oct 31, 2015, at 12:30 PM, Ann_Camilla <camill...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm running CS6 on Mavericks (10.9.5) and it all works well, if that's any help at all.

Are there any advantages?

Sharon
------
Sharon Villines
If brown, black, yellow, and red are derogatory, why isn’t white?

Martin Wright

Oct 31, 2015, 7:42:21 PM10/31/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I have noticed that Mail seems to be much faster than it used to be? My CS6 works fine, but I may have to upgrade Suitcase.

But there seems to be a disadvantage with regard to “show icon view” in the Finder icon view which I posted yesterday, but so far no-one has commented on.

Martin
> --

Martin Wright
Move Records studio
10 Glen Drive
Eaglemont 3084 Australia
--
mar...@move.com.au
Phone 03 9497 2709

Harry S. Pariser

Feb 8, 2016, 2:16:19 PM2/8/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm still using Yosemite, and I was wondering if people had found any
functionality problems with CS6 and El Capitan?

Also, my Safari browser (8.0.2) shows no extensions, and I can not
re-install AdBlock.

Toggling the switch off, using the "Clear History and Website Data" and
restarting in safe boot and attempting to install have all had zero
effect.

("Upgrading" to El Capitan appears to be one way to potentially solve
the problem, which is why I am considering it).

Suggestions?

Thank you.

Sharon Villines

Feb 8, 2016, 8:23:38 PM2/8/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I use 6 and El Capitan with no problems but can’t swear I’ve tested all the features. I did notice that some preferences were changed in Safari. After upgrading Firefox and Chrome, Bing was set as the search engine in all my browsers. Weird few days thinking Google had dropped its changing logos.

Adblock Plus did install on Safari and other extensions are still there.

Sharon.