InDesign CS6 won't start up

Charles Miller

May 15, 2013, 4:23:23 PM5/15/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I tried to start Photoshop CS6 and InDesign CS6 at the same time. InDesign never lost the spinning beach ball. Did a force quit. Now it won't start.

I'm a member of the much-discussed Creative Cloud. I think the fix is to use the InDesign uninstaller to remove the program. And then open Adobe Application Manager and reinstall. Is that right?

Chuck M
Or would I try finding and deleting the ID preferences first?

Peter Truskier

May 15, 2013, 6:11:16 PM5/15/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
What happens when you try to start it up, Chuck? I would definitely try trashing the preferences before uninstall/reinstall; it only takes a few moments to try. If it still doesn't work, then you've lost nothing but a few minutes.

Rather than locating the preferences file, you could try simultaneously HOLDING DOWN the shift, control, option, command keys on the Mac (or shift, ctrl, alt on Windows) *immediately* after launching InDesign. If it's getting anywhere at all in the launch sequence, this will bring up a dialog asking you if you want to delete the preferences...

--
Peter Truskier
Premedia Systems, Inc.

Charles Miller

May 15, 2013, 10:38:33 PM5/15/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 15, 2013, at 5:11 PM, Peter Truskier <ptl...@premediasystems.com> wrote:

What happens when you try to start it up, Chuck? I would definitely try trashing the preferences before uninstall/reinstall; it only takes a few moments to try. If it still doesn't work, then you've lost nothing but a few minutes.

Rather than locating the preferences file, you could try simultaneously HOLDING DOWN the shift, control, option, command keys on the Mac (or shift, ctrl, alt on Windows) *immediately* after launching InDesign. If it's getting anywhere at all in the launch sequence, this will bring up a dialog asking you if you want to delete the preferences...

I didn't know that procedure. Will definitely try it first.

The 3X I tried starting it, it works at starting for about 10 seconds, then presents a window that says it has crashed. Do I want to try it again?

Thanks for the tip.

Chuck M

Arne Gustafsson

May 16, 2013, 2:15:41 AM5/16/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On 16 maj 2013, at 04:38, Charles Miller <chuck...@new.rr.com> wrote:

> I didn't know that procedure. Will definitely try it first.
>
> The 3X I tried starting it, it works at starting for about 10 seconds, then presents a window that says it has crashed. Do I want to try it again?

maybe this is a long shot, but have you tried rebuild permissions?
Have you tried start up the computer in safe boot (press shift key
at start up)? Nad then start up again in the normal way.

Med många vänliga hälsningar

Arne Gustafsson

Charles Miller

May 16, 2013, 3:23:41 PM5/16/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 15, 2013, at 9:38 PM, Charles Miller <chuck...@new.rr.com> wrote:

you could try simultaneously HOLDING DOWN the shift, control, option, command keys on the Mac (or shift, ctrl, alt on Windows) *immediately* after launching InDesign. If it's getting anywhere at all in the launch sequence, this will bring up a dialog asking you if you want to delete the preferences...

The ID file that needed prompt revisions was an older one, so I did it in CS4. Then I restarted. Repaired permissions. Verified disk (appeared to be OK). Then started and held down the 4 keys (Command, Option, Control, Shift). Clicked to open. Delete prefs? … Yes.

It's open… Gentlemen, I'm grateful.

Chuck M

Van Garnett

Mar 18, 2015, 11:28:34 AM3/18/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I may have another option. I somehow stumbled on this and it fixed my issue.
I would click on InDesign CS5.5 and it would show the spinning 'thinking' icon but never open. It wouldn't even call the static image saying 'InDesign' before opening. I was stumped.

Then I did what others said to do with HOLDING DOWN on shift/ctrl/alt buttons and then selecting the icon to open the program. The Properties box comes up. Select Compatibility tab. At the bottom you'll see Change settings for all users. At the bottom is Prevlege Level. Check Run this program as an administrator.

After that it worked fine for me.

Bret Perry

Mar 18, 2015, 5:51:32 PM3/18/15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

Ah, nice tip Van, I think Chuck is on a Mac since he has a spinning beachball and Windows “thinking” is much less colorful ;-)

But a similar thing might help  on Mac- hold command-control-option-shift and click on icon – choose Open and it will ask if you want to delete all ID Preferences.
Say yes and you’ll looses all your personal preferences but at least it might open!

(and when its happy save your preference files in a backup location)

Bret Perry
Studio IT Manager/Production Artist

ph 626-463-9365
fax 626-449-2201
bpe...@russreid.com

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by calling the Help Desk at 855-486-5519.