InDesign File Import bug report --- Anyone got a current contact w/ an InDesign developer?

William Adams

Nov 10, 2017, 9:15:50 AM11/10/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I've got a pair of files which manifest a bug where text is dropped from the Word .docx --- happens in CS6, and Creative Cloud, whether the files have had changes approved or no.

Not feeling up to the effort involved in submitting a formal bug report --- I'd like to just send them to someone who will actually do something w/ them.

See the attached image.

Trying to get an accounting of the version(s) of Word used (so that I can tell them to not use them in the future).

William

GAYF_word_import_issue.png

Rick Gordon

Nov 11, 2017, 12:55:40 AM11/11/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
It looks as though it's just in that set of bulleted items. Could there
be some embedded style characteristic that's causing the text to be
invisible due to some font issue, or something like that. What if you
remove all style overrides for that segment in Word?

--------------------
On November 10, 2017 at 9:52:15 PM [-0800],
William Adams wrote in an email entitled
"[ID] InDesign File Import bug report --- Anyone got a current contact
w/ an InDesign developer?":
> I've got a pair of files which manifest a bug where text is dropped
> from the Word .docx --- happens in CS6, and Creative Cloud, whether
> the files have had changes approved or no.
RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING
WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com

William Adams

Nov 13, 2017, 8:04:27 AM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Removing all the over-rides is a standard part of processing.

Copy-pasting the text out, or exporting to Adobe Tagged Text shows nothing thing and no clues as to why it's omitted.

Similarly, there's nothing unusual about how it's formatted when dumped to RTF.

William

Alan Clarke

Nov 13, 2017, 9:07:06 AM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I know it’s obvious but I have to ask. You’ve looked at it with “Show Hidden Characters” selected? Nothing? — AC

William Adams

Nov 13, 2017, 9:39:10 AM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Wait, people turn "Show hidden characters" off?

Seriously, Nothing. The text in question is removed or not processed during the import and is not present in InDesign.

William

Andrew Brown

Nov 13, 2017, 11:27:29 AM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 13 Nov 2017, at 15:39, William Adams <will....@frycomm.com> wrote:

> The text in question is removed or not processed during the import and is not present in InDesign.

It’s quite easy to persuade InDesign to toss text silently out of the window during import. I believe that an unpaired < will do the trick and doubt that it is the only way of achieving that outcome. — AB

William Adams

Nov 13, 2017, 12:15:20 PM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
As I noted, the text goes missing even when I turn off tracking and re-save (which is S.O.P. here)

If you can construct a simple file which will drop text as you describe, I'd love for you to post it here, and send it in to Adobe tech support.

William

walton harris

Nov 13, 2017, 1:05:40 PM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
William—

In the distant past I seem to recall having had this (or a very similar) problem where the Word type just dropped away in InDesign after placing Word bullet points. It was a rare occurrence but it happened a few times with files submitted by a certain author. Never figured out exactly why it happened.

I recall that I found a trick to find the missing type in my situation, and you could try this to see if it works for you. Our problems may have actually been caused differently so this may not work.

What I did was, in InDesign, select all the type you see that is part of the problem from that first bullet point through the last, and, after clearing any overrides, I then just manually changed the font to another font that I know works for me in Indy. When I did that, suddenly all the missing text showed correctly. Don’t know why it was all hidden, and in the same way yours seems to be, but it showed up after changing the font manually.

If you do figure this problem out please report back. I’m curious.

—walton

***
> --
> <GAYF_word_import_issue.png>

Andrew Brown

Nov 13, 2017, 2:52:16 PM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
As I noted, the text goes missing even when I turn off tracking and re-save (which is S.O.P. here)

If you can construct a simple file which will drop text as you describe, I'd love for you to post it here, and send it in to Adobe tech support.

Two separate scenarios here, mine does not concern Word but Adobe Tagged Text. For example :

<pstyle:note>17. Cette lettre de diversion n’est pas conservée. Envoyée «par Wassy», siège du bureau de poste, elle risquait d’être ouverte par des espions de police. É. y a donc placé des nouvelles vagues ou fausses. On en déduit que la présente lettre a dû être confiée à un courrier sûr.
<pstyle:rh-date><cstyle:rh-date>Décembre 1736<cstyle:>
<pstyle:titre-lettre><cstyle:numero-lettre>87<cstyle:><cstyle:none><cstyle:>. à d’Argental
<pstyle:texte-p1>Ange tutélaire de deux malheureux

Leave a space after “sur.” and InDesign throws away "<pstyle:rh-date><cstyle:rh-date>Décembre 1736<cstyle:>” during import.

The Word problem is probably more difficult, if not impossible to track down, given the scores or hundreds of different Words running wild out there. If you save a Pages file as .docx and import that, the result is likely to be bizarre and tedious to unravel, another level of complication.

Is there no penalty for setting world civilisation back four decades? There should be, the fine being set at Bill Gates’ net worth.

AB

William Adams

Nov 13, 2017, 3:45:52 PM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
OIC. Never hit that particular bug in Adobe Tagged Text.

Checking on Walton Harris's possible fix now.

As I've noted in the past, if typography were easy, Microsoft Word wouldn't be the fœtid mess which it is.

William

William Adams

Nov 13, 2017, 3:59:07 PM11/13/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
and Walton's idea was a no-go.

Ann_Camilla

Nov 14, 2017, 4:29:06 AM11/14/17
to InDesign talk
I had an awful time with a couple of books presented by different authors where all the hyphens were dropped from the Word docs on import to InDesign (CS6). I found an answer on the web somewhere that indicated that old versions of Word's hyphens were actually non-breaking hyphens, so I had to redo the books by going into all the Word documents, finding ^~ in the Advanced/replace/special section and replacing with a bog standard hyphen -- except that most of them were page numbers and years (you know, p11–47 or 1914–18) so it was an n-dash. Nearly went bald (as in pulling one's hair hour) doing this.

On Monday, 13 November 2017 20:59:07 UTC, William Adams wrote:
and Walton's idea was a no-go.

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Andrew Brown <li...@c18.org> wrote:
[...]

William Adams

Nov 14, 2017, 7:57:32 AM11/14/17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Odd. Shouldn't apply here, since the manuscript has hyphens, soft hyphens and non-breaking hyphens, as well as en and em dashes (or at least that subset of characters which worked back when I tested the processes)