In Word's style naming conventions & alias?

katmcg

Jul 22, 2016, 1:59:28 PM7/22/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
For Word's style naming conventions, what is an alias?
Example
H1, cab

“cab” after a comma is the alias

kat

Dick Margulis

Jul 22, 2016, 2:23:25 PM7/22/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 7/22/2016 1:59 PM, katmcg wrote:
> For Word's style naming conventions, what is an alias?
> Example
> H1, cab

It's an alternate name for the same style. This usually happens when
someone tries to rename a built-in Word style or a style imported from a
locked template. (You can't delete the original name in those situations.)

katmcg

Jul 22, 2016, 4:10:10 PM7/22/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
In a word lynda.com video on style presenter seemed to suggest using alias when creating styles. No much reason if not a linked style?
For ID I’ve use : h4, h2, h3, sub1, bullet1, bullet2, etc…

Is there a preferred Word naming convention?

Bevi Chagnon

Jul 22, 2016, 4:34:13 PM7/22/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how using an alias, rather than the real Word style such as "Heading 1," would have much benefit to anyone. Maybe it might help in a team workflow where someone could overwrite the definitions of a style in a team template. But then again, there are ways to lock down templates so that they can't be tampered with.

Knowing that you, Kat, sometimes do accessibility work, it's wise to make sure that you base any new style or alias on the original Normal, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. styles so that you get the correct accessibility tags in the PDF. Unlike InDesign where we can designate which tag goes with which paragraph style, Word uses its known core set of styles to produce the accessible tags.

--Bevi Chagnon

— — —
Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com
Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers
for publishing & communication
| Acrobat PDF | Print | EPUBS | Sec. 508 Accessibility |
— — —

Dick Margulis

Jul 22, 2016, 4:40:33 PM7/22/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
What direction are you going?

Word has built-in style names that are used in various ways to
facilitate some internal Word stuff (nothing that concerns us in this
group). Most Word users who learn just enough about styles to be
dangerous limit themselves to those built-in styles, and that's probably
just as well.

But if you're placing a Word file in InDesign, it doesn't matter if
someone used the built-in style names or created their own, because all
we care about is the actual name, not any of the special properties that
travel along with it. In fact, stripping out those special properties
(by focusing on the "based on" and "reset to base" controls) is one of
the first things most of us do after importing a Word document.

Now if your question is about going the other direction (exporting to
Word from ID), I guess the question becomes more interesting. But I'd
have to know more about the ultimate purpose before I could say anything
constructive.

katmcg

Jul 22, 2016, 5:34:29 PM7/22/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
But great suggestion on the Heading 1, 2…
> Word uses its known core set of styles to produce the accessible tags.
Where do I find these?

If Normal is the default character & size in Word, where do you change it?

We’re not doing the accessibility. They higher full timers. Can’t say I miss it.
On Jul 22, 2016, at 1:33 PM, Bevi Chagnon <be...@pubcom.com> wrote:

> Not sure how using an alias, rather than the real Word style such as "Heading 1," would have much benefit to anyone. Maybe it might help in a team workflow where someone could overwrite the definitions of a style in a team template. But then again, there are ways to lock down templates so that they can't be tampered with.
>
> Knowing that you, Kat, sometimes do accessibility work, it's wise to make sure that you base any new style or alias on the original Normal, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. styles so that you get the correct accessibility tags in the PDF. Unlike InDesign where we can designate which tag goes with which paragraph style,
>
> --Bevi Chagnon
>
> — — —
> Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com
> Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers
> for publishing & communication
> | Acrobat PDF | Print | EPUBS | Sec. 508 Accessibility |
> — — —

bevi chagnon

Jul 23, 2016, 2:56:20 PM7/23/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Kat: << Where do I find these? >>
Not sure what you mean. Are you asking where do you find Word's styles? See Microsoft's free tutorials at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Creating-accessible-Word-documents-D9BF3683-87AC-47EA-B91A-78DCACB3C66D

Kat wrote: << If Normal is the default character & size in Word, where do you change it? >>
"Normal" is the default paragraph style in Word, similar to how Basic Paragraph is the default style in InDesign.

 You change the font, size, leading, etc. for Normal the same way you'd do it in InDesign: Redefine the style's definition. See the tutorials above for guidance.

--Bevi Chagnon