copy a layer between documents?

Thomas Olbrich

Aug 21, 2013, 11:26:00 AM8/21/13
to InDesign - Google Group
I got two InDesign files with identical content – except one layer "text", which varies in the language of its content.

For further work on this files I'd prefer to move the "text"-layer of one document into the other document, to end up with both text layers in one document.

Is that possible?

When I drag a layer from the layers pane onto the other doc it shows a  Ø symbol ('wrong way').

Thank you,
- thomas

Evans, Rebecca

Aug 21, 2013, 11:30:53 AM8/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thomas:

InDesign will not let you have two layers with the same layer name.

Rebecca

Thomas Olbrich

Aug 21, 2013, 11:46:55 AM8/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
sorry, of cause they'd got different names.
- thomas

Bret Perry

Aug 21, 2013, 12:53:50 PM8/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

AFAIK, You can't copy a whole layer's "contents"  (all objects on every page on a layer) at once.
If you copy any item on the layer and paste it into the "new" doc, the layer itself will copy along with the object, but you will have to copy all the items you want page-by-page.
To copy the layer itself with the object, check on "Paste Remembers Layers" in the layers panel flyout menu.

There are plugins available $ that will let you copy/move whole layers and all their contents.

Bret Perry
Studio IT Manager/Production Artist

ph 626-463-9365
fax 626-449-2201
bpe...@russreid.com

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by calling the Help Desk at 866-682-8852.

Nini Tjäder

Aug 21, 2013, 12:56:26 PM8/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
You can drag a page/pages from one document to the other. If the page/s you drag over to the other document includes the desired layer I guess it will also come with the page into the other document. Just a theory, I haven't tested it.

I got two InDesign files with identical content – except one layer "text", which varies in the language of its content.

For further work on this files I'd prefer to move the "text"-layer of one document into the other document, to end up with both text layers in one document.

Is that possible?

When I drag a layer from the layers pane onto the other doc it shows a  Ø symbol ('wrong way').

Thank you,
- thomas

nini ;-)

Nini Tjäder __ ni...@ninisworld.com

http://www.ninisworld.com/wordpress

Stefano Bernardi

Oct 28, 2016, 3:19:59 AM10/28/16
to InDesign talk
Hello Thomas,
Your post is two years old but I hope this my reply will eventually help someone else who googles for this.
In InDesign, the only way to copy an entire layer from a document to another is by doing so manually on each spread.
However, you can use a script and automate it. You'll find it here: https://redokun.com/blog/indesign-copy-entire-layer-one-file-another

katmcg

Nov 2, 2016, 5:11:22 PM11/2/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com