book from illustrator files

judy hicks

Sep 26, 2016, 12:39:49 AM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
hello,

I have at 50 or so illustrator files that have been created for book publishing (it is a heavily illustrated kid’s book). Each file is either a single page or spread. The final book will be 100 interior pages.

Question: If I place these illustrator files into indesign, would it make more sense to do so as
  1. one long file or
  2. single pages with an indesign book setup?

The files will be outputted to pdf for final production step. Can I specify an override for color profile? I know I can do so for CMYK (though each file and their placed contents are either CMYK or a black bmp file saved as a psd or tif).

Thanks!
Judy

Michael Brady

Sep 26, 2016, 5:23:18 AM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Judy

> If I place these illustrator files into indesign, would it make more sense to do so as
> • one long file or
> • single pages with an indesign book setup?

I would put them into a single ID file. Putting them into individual ID files and then assembling them into a book file would merely be a waste of redundant work.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

judy hicks

Sep 26, 2016, 10:24:02 AM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
hi Michael,

sorry, the reason i proposed using indb was because the final product will be spiral bound and thus each page needs a full bleed.
also, do you know if I can globally alter the color profile while creating the final pdf?

thank you!
Judy

William Adams

Sep 26, 2016, 10:31:15 AM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
For full bleed, just make up the pages w/o the facing pages option.

Yes, you can globally alter the colour profile for a .pdf either when creating it, or by post-processing the .pdf in Adobe Acrobat --- however, see: http://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-ignores-cmyk-profiles.php

William

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM, judy hicks <plushd...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi Michael,

sorry, the reason i proposed using indb was because the final product will be spiral bound and thus each page needs a full bleed.
also, do you know if I can globally alter the color profile while creating the final pdf?

thank you!
Judy

> On Sep 26, 2016, at 2:22 AM, Michael Brady <michaelb@michaelbradydesign.com> wrote:
>
> Judy
>
>> If I place these illustrator files into indesign, would it make more sense to do so as
>>      • one long file or
>>      • single pages with an indesign book setup?
>
> I would put them into a single ID file. Putting them into individual ID files and then assembling them into a book file would merely be a waste of redundant work.
>

> | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
> Michael Brady

Michael Brady

Sep 26, 2016, 10:47:17 AM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 26, 2016, at 10:31 AM, William Adams <will....@frycomm.com> wrote:
>
> For full bleed, just make up the pages w/o the facing pages option.

In the page setup, you can select facing pages and include a bleed area on the inside edge of the spread (at bottom in Bleed Options). When you generate the PDFs, select “Single Page” for the output. The result will be a PDF file with single pages with bleeds on all four sides. Remember that the option to show single pages or two-page speeds is a display option, which means that after you export the PDF with single page viewing, you can select two page display in Acrobat the the pages will appear properly as spreads and the bleed images on each page will match up at the spine. The printer will output the pages separately, be properly trimmed, and the image will bleed into the spine (where the spiral binding will attach).

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

William Adams

Sep 26, 2016, 11:01:55 AM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
RIght, and that's fine if what shows on the facing page is appropriate to use as bleed on that page --- but if the appearance of the other page is different, then it shouldn't appear in the bleed area for looseleaf, e.g.,

 - verso is a red page w/ a full-page warning and red diagonal hash marks all around
 - recto is a diagram page w/ a full page photo and inset text

The diagonal hash marks on the verso should _not_ be replaced by the photo bleed, the recto should have nothing but photo --- no content from the facing page.

William

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

Michael Brady

Sep 26, 2016, 11:07:38 AM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 26, 2016, at 11:01 AM, William Adams <will....@frycomm.com> wrote:
>
> RIght, and that's fine if what shows on the facing page is appropriate to use as bleed on that page --- but if the appearance of the other page is different, then it shouldn't appear in the bleed area for looseleaf, e.g.,
>
> - verso is a red page w/ a full-page warning and red diagonal hash marks all around
> - recto is a diagram page w/ a full page photo and inset text
>
> The diagonal hash marks on the verso should _not_ be replaced by the photo bleed, the recto should have nothing but photo --- no content from the facing page.

The bleed gets trimmed off before binding. Whatever is there won’t appear on the visible inner edge of the page. Judy said that some of the AI files were two-page images, so they should be laid out with facing pages with no *visible* inner bleed areas in the ID layout. But if the file is set up with bleeds on all four sides, then the images will bleed into that area and then be trimmed down. What that allows is that the image that crosses the gutter will still (should) appear to be continuous despite any slight mistake in the inside trim.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

William Adams

Sep 26, 2016, 11:15:41 AM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Michael Brady <mich...@michaelbradydesign.com> wrote:
The bleed gets trimmed off before binding. Whatever is there won’t appear on the visible inner edge of the page. Judy said that some of the AI files were two-page images, so they should be laid out with facing pages with no *visible* inner bleed areas in the ID layout. But if the file is set up with bleeds on all four sides, then the images will bleed into that area and then be trimmed down. What that allows is that the image that crosses the gutter will still (should) appear to be continuous despite any slight mistake in the inside trim.

Please see above.

For spiral binding, like to looseleaf, the material from the facing page usually isn't trimmed.

Yes, if it's a common bleed, then what you've described is fine and the usual practice, but if it's like most spiral bindings or looseleaf work I've seen, you don't want that --- you can either adjust the page size, or use the single page spreads.

William

Michael Brady

Sep 26, 2016, 12:13:01 PM9/26/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
William

For spiral binding, like to looseleaf, the material from the facing page usually isn't trimmed.

Yes, if it's a common bleed, then what you've described is fine and the usual practice, but if it's like most spiral bindings or looseleaf work I've seen, you don't want that --- you can either adjust the page size, or use the single page spreads.

I think we agree on these things, but we’re emphasizing different aspects.

Here’s a screen snap of the ID layout at the top and a PDF with bleeds all around displayed as two-up with gaps showing. In the PDF, you can see that the part of the image on the left page that bleeds to the gutter on the right is the same as the bleed on the right page that bleeds on the left. Same part of the image.

Michael Brady

MSD

Sep 26, 2016, 6:13:48 PM9/26/16
to InDesign talk
Why not simply save the Illy files as pdf's with 4 sided bleed and with logical page order (or as one file).
The printer then simply throws the pds' into imposition software on the way to the RIP.
Save the pdf's with your document profile embedded if your printer has a color managed workflow (which is unlikely)
and
save a set of the pdf's without the profile embedded
but let the printer know what the document profile is(in case they need to open any fir exiting)

David Blatner

Sep 26, 2016, 6:39:02 PM9/26/16
to InDesign talk
Here's a tip for how to set up facing-page documents that will be spiral bound, allowing bleed on the inside:

Going back to your original question, I'm not sure what you mean by "Can I specify an override for color profile?"
If the AI file is CMYK, then it will not be color managed (which is usually what you want, so a 50% cyan stays 50% in output). If the AI file is set to RGB (in document setup), then it will be color managed and can be converted to CMYK upon output.

--david blatner, cpn.co

judy hicks

Sep 27, 2016, 11:31:16 AM9/27/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
hello everyone,

thank you for all of your responses! what I ended up doing is:

  • creating indesign page template at final size with bleeds and master page overlay in a spot color of the die line and spiral punches
  • placing each .ai file in its own indd page (four different types: spread left, spread right, single page left, single page right and they pop right in to the correct position)
  • creating page number slug in bleed (pages are not numbered themselves)
  • naming each single page with job number and page number
  • adding these 100 pages to an indb file
  • outputting to pdf spreads for proofing
I did see where I could determine the color profile they need as well as inspect the spot colors (dielines) in the pdf output options.

Thanks for helping me think that through!
Judy