Need ability to Exclude Template based Sections from Search Results

Dmitry A.

Apr 15, 2011, 1:49:51 PM4/15/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

We have came across the issue when Template based Sections are included in Search Results which is not always desired by the user.

I propose adding a New Configuration option which will allow Admins to control whether to include or exclude them from Search.

The change shouldn't be to big to implement.

What do you think?

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 15, 2011, 4:05:27 PM4/15/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
as I don't use search function (which doesn't work for links and articles, as far as I know), I don't understand the problem itself :)
I let others giving their thought.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 16, 2011, 4:08:59 AM4/16/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Search function works pretty well for a pages and category items. I'm talking about simple search form here.

As far as I know there is not equivalent to advanced search for in "advanced" theme (that In-Portal 5.x uses), that could be used (like one we have for "onlinestore" theme).

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 16, 2011, 4:47:04 AM4/16/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
ok about category search. I confirm there's no advanced search available for items other than products, while all search setup are available in admin... This is another subject.

Dmitry A.

Apr 17, 2011, 10:17:11 PM4/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

The problem is that when you do Simple Search for "Platform" or something like this in your Advanced theme (try Beta site) you get Platform section in list of Results.

There is nothing on that pages since it's a Template based one (ie. Registration or Forgot Password).

The idea is to EXCLUDE all these pages from the Search Results based on the new Configuration Setting.

What's your take on this?

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 18, 2011, 3:09:31 AM4/18/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Dmitry, especially after we have the user in the forums (http://www.in-portal.com/forums/in-portal-cms/need-help/bb_4102.html) who came across that problem.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 18, 2011, 4:17:41 AM4/18/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I got it, fully agree of course :)

Dmitry A.

Apr 18, 2011, 11:34:12 PM4/18/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
So we are ready for a task here?

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 19, 2011, 3:04:14 AM4/19/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, ready.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 6:34 AM, Dmitry A. <dand...@gmail.com> wrote:
So we are ready for a task here?

DA

Dmitry A.

Apr 19, 2011, 11:32:00 PM4/19/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Here is a new task:

1043: Ability to Exclude Template based Sections from Search Results

NOTE that I have added the following to the task:

=======
New setting will be placed under Configuration->Website->Search section and will be OFF by default.

Name for new setting will be (or similar):

IncludeTemplateSectionsInSearch = Include template based Sections in Search Results
========

DA

Dmitry A.

May 24, 2011, 1:00:04 AM5/24/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Ready for testing!

DA
Ability-to-ExcludeTemplateSections-from-SearchResults.patch