Forgot password logic change

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 5, 2010, 9:34:40 AM12/5/10
to In-Portal Development
I propose to change how Forgot Password feature works in In-Portal.

Currently it works this way:
  1. user clicks "Forgot Password" link on login page
  2. user enters his email or login
  3. user presses "Send Password" button
  4. user receives email with confirmation link
  5. when user clicks on that link, then he is brought to confirmation page
  6. when user clicks "Yes" on that confirmation page, then new password is generated and sent to it by email (not too secure)
This way user nees to perform 6 steps to restore his password (he also needs to go to his profile to change it to whatever he want later). Not too user friendly I think.

I propose to simplify this scheme this way:
  1. user clicks "Forgot Password" link on login page
  2. user enters his email or login
  3. user presses "Send Password" button
  4. user receives email with confirmation link
  5. when user clicks on that link, then he is brought to password change form
  6. user enter his new password (2 times) and immediately got logged in
This way user gets his password changed quickly and new password isn't sent by email.

Another issue, when password is send by email is when "Auto-generate User Passwords" option is used (this way user don't enter his password during registration). In this case user gets his password after registration by email.

I propose to send "forgot password" like link to his email and then he can change his password to what ever he wants.

--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 5, 2010, 11:24:31 AM12/5/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I vote YES :-)

Dmitry Andrejev

Dec 5, 2010, 12:46:50 PM12/5/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea, but are you proposing to completely remove the code for auto-password generation?

DA
--

Best regards,

Dmitry A.

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 5, 2010, 3:26:16 PM12/5/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Of course, since there is no need to generate password, when user will be entering it anyway to be able to login.

If you is not aware about security issues related to weak password, then password weakness indicator (as I've already written before) will help.

If user won't be able to use google search to find online password generator, then we could create one in javascript for it.

Dmitry A.

Dec 12, 2010, 12:59:29 PM12/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Actually, I think we are still have option for Auto-Generating password during User Registration.

This means we can remove that functionality from Forgot Password, but still need to keep the ability to auto-generate passwords (makepassword4 method in globals.php) when needed (ie. User Registration). This was exactly the reason I have asked that question in my prev. post.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 12, 2010, 1:02:11 PM12/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
It will be site administrator's problem then if someone captures that email.

I think, that we should add hint to that option in configuration, where something like "Will send non-encrypted password via email to user".

Dmitry A.

Dec 12, 2010, 1:17:43 PM12/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Agreed on the Hint so let's make it part of this task.

Are we ready for one? Anyone wants to add anything else here?

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 12, 2010, 1:19:35 PM12/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
nope

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 12, 2010, 2:48:14 PM12/12/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, go on. Please create a task.

Please don't add anything to the task, which is not a part of this discussion (e.g. what you might seem to be related, but not discussed here).

Dmitry A.

Dec 13, 2010, 11:33:22 AM12/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Here is task:

948: Change in "Forgot Password" logic

NOTE: sure where to put it - in Front-End or Security category in the Bug Tracker.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 13, 2010, 1:46:35 PM12/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I've fixed some minor issues in task, like:
  • sending passwords by email is secure
  • none encrypted passwords will be sent by email

Dmitry A.

Dec 13, 2010, 2:23:27 PM12/13/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for looking over Alex!