Long text in the CMS-block.

er...@intechnic.lv

May 17, 2011, 11:25:18 AM5/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
In one project recently revealed the problem - the administrator has entered into CMS-block too long HTML. As a result, HTML was cut up to ~65000 characters, cutted up incorrectly, with a broken tag. Because of this the next time admin try to to open a CMS-block for editing - occurred js-error and the admin could not fix anything.

I propose either
1) change the field type, which stores the text of CMS-block in the database, so there may be placed a longer text (mediumtext or longtext)
or
2) make validation for add/edit CMS-block form, so that in case of field overflow, the validation error prevents incorrect data saving.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

May 17, 2011, 1:00:59 PM5/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
solution #1 seems better to me.

Alexander Obuhovich

May 17, 2011, 2:45:49 PM5/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I also came across this issue once. That time client copy/pasted HTML from Ms Word, that only had 1 page of formatted text, but was larger then 65KB in size.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

May 17, 2011, 4:50:21 PM5/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
yup, people are using word or open office to design their content, because our actual editor is really.. crapy, no other word to describe my user's problems in everyday use :S

Dmitry A.

May 19, 2011, 4:51:57 PM5/19/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, we have rarely come across this issue.

Most of the time users don't have that LONG of the Content Blocks, but I personally don't see the problem with adjusting the Column types to LONGTEXT.

What about you Alex?

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

May 20, 2011, 3:25:00 AM5/20/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, sure. We can do that.

Alexander Obuhovich

Aug 8, 2011, 12:51:45 PM8/8/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com

Dmitry A.

Aug 15, 2011, 12:18:04 AM8/15/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Which release this is going to?

Not 5.1.3, correct?

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Aug 15, 2011, 3:22:26 AM8/15/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
We can put it in 5.1.3 too, since no big changes were made.

Users we got they content block content cut in the middle will be happy for sure to now receive nice error message before that could happen.

Dmitry A.

Aug 20, 2011, 5:27:12 PM8/20/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I am all for it!