New Shopping Cart Features : Saved Cart and Car Reminder

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 11, 2011, 4:40:37 PM10/11/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I would like to submit here 2 features which seems to me to be missing in actual in-commerce.

Saved Cart
if a visitor have a cart, wether a registered user or a visitor, we store order id in user's cookie (or maybe in user record in DB for logged in users), until cart is emptied (order completed or cart reset).

Cart Reminder
if a logged user have an incomplete order id, we send a commercial reminder email to user, using a cron agent.
We'd need a new setup value: text for email reminder.

i hope you'll like these new ideas :)

Dmitry A.

Oct 16, 2011, 1:07:06 AM10/16/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

Both sound interesting and useful ideas.

We definitely need to discuss all options for both.

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 16, 2011, 4:07:56 AM10/16/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitry

and I think both features are very easy to implement, first by storing a value in cookie, second by creating a new agent... Sadly I'm not that good to code it by myself :)

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 16, 2011, 8:33:25 AM10/16/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
That's where we come in.

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 17, 2011, 6:29:55 AM10/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Here is the patch for "keeping shopping cart alive between website visits" for In-Portal 5.1.3 (since In-Portal 5.2.0 isn't yet released and people might want to apply this patch already).

Another idea that just popped out:
  • Display all Incomplete orders on user's My Account -> My Orders list (which are not empty)
  • Have "Continue Shopping" near each order to set that Order ID as active order id

Another idea about "My Account -> My Orders" list:
  • Have "Reorder" button near each Processed order
  • Clicking it will place all order content into current shopping cart and redirect to shopping cart template
This way users, who reorder same stuff on a regular basis could do that easier.
remember_shop_cart_between_visits_feature.patch

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 17, 2011, 7:00:21 AM10/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
great, I'll test it asap.

Your idea about about "reorder" is really cool, I like it.

about incomplete orders, this looks like a "save my cart" function, which would clear the cart but leave an incomplete order in DB, what do you think of this improvement?

Alexander Obuhovich

Oct 17, 2011, 7:09:22 AM10/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
All abandoned shopping cart are auto-saved automatically I guess. We just need a way to restore them.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Oct 17, 2011, 8:17:13 AM10/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
yes, but abandonned isn't an action performed by user: it's abandoned because he leave the website, which is not a real "save" action.

Finding abandoned cart isn't so usefull, while finding saved cart you've choose to keep seems better to me :)

Dmitry, your opinion?

I'd propose at least that cart is never emptied without user action, this way he can find back his order whenever he comes back to the website.

Dmitry A.

Nov 1, 2011, 11:53:16 PM11/1/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
New task created for:

1156: Keeping Shopping Cart between Visits

Hi Phil,

To be honest I don't have any solid opinion on this yet (didn't use this in real world much). Some big websites that I use (electronics mostly) do empty the cart at some point, but they send an email saying that I have forgot something in the my shopping carts. I think we need to research and then use try/error approach here at some point.

I'd like to keep this discussion open so we all can get our heads around it.

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Nov 2, 2011, 10:02:13 AM11/2/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Dmitry,

about sending an email for abandoned carts, I already proposed this idea as part of CRM functions (Customer Relationship Management), more than 2 years ago (!).

I could be driven by an agent, as well as many other emails providing automatic marketig communication with end users.