Increasing Default "Per Page" setting for Admin Grids

Dmitry A.

Feb 7, 2012, 11:55:54 PM2/7/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

How happy you are with the currently used default Per Page setting in Admin Grid?

I personally find myself constantly changing it from 10 to 20 every time I visit one or another List/Grid for the first time so it's getting kind of annoying...

Considering that now days monitors have a tendency to increase is size (mine is 24"), I think it's safe to increase our default Per Page setting from 10 to 20. By the way, even with 20 I get at least half of the empty screen so I can set to 50 per page and get no scroller :)

Please express you FOR and AGAINST opinion.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 8, 2012, 3:04:55 AM2/8/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
In older In-Portal versions (e.g. in 1.1.3) default per-page was set to 20. I really don't know why we changed it 10 in Kernel4-based In-Portal versions.

In a new grid pagination control, that we were discussing in another discussion per-page changing is made easier by the way.

Phil

Feb 8, 2012, 6:56:42 AM2/8/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I even didn't realized it was set to 10 by default, as I always change it to at least 20 or 50...

About the whole new grid system, it could have a new "dynamic" option, where listing fits screen size... yes, it means that everytime your resize, after x seconds you add some items to the list, or remove some of them. What do you think of that? :)

Envoyé avec Sparrow

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 8, 2012, 8:03:26 AM2/8/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Since row height is only determined by the data in it, then we can't detect how much rows could actually fit on the screen. This becomes even bigger problem, as users can change browser's default font size and resize window to cause data to be wrapped.

We can create a setting, that user will be enter upon installation, that will act as default perpage if user haven't changed it in the list directly.

Phil

Feb 8, 2012, 8:25:25 AM2/8/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I bet it's possible to achieve using JS, as we can detect what happens on the page :) But may it's too much time waste for usability gain...

Envoyé avec Sparrow

Dmitry A.

Feb 8, 2012, 1:11:14 PM2/8/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, default Per Page setting  for Admin Grids as a Config settings would be a good solution!

We can put this under Advanced Settings section?

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 8, 2012, 2:00:06 PM2/8/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Sure. Then we already can create a task for this.

Dmitry A.

Feb 10, 2012, 5:04:10 PM2/10/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Here is task:

1205: Ability to set Default "Per Page" for Admin Grids via Website Configuration

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 14, 2012, 4:15:41 AM2/14/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Here is the patch. Ready for testing.
default_grid_perpage_setting.patch

Dmitry A.

Feb 16, 2012, 4:22:05 PM2/16/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex - I have tested the patch and everything is great!

Just one comment.

I believe Default PerPage setting should in a way of Drop-down with options same as current from where we set on Grid - 10, 20 , 50, 100, 500.

Please see a screenshot and my little patch - I hope you don't mind attaching it to the Task and Committing it into Repo.

DA
default_grid_perpage_setting_Addition.patch
PerPageSetting.png

Alexander Obuhovich

Feb 17, 2012, 5:36:17 AM2/17/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I see missing phrase translation on your screenshot. Have you improrted latest language pack or I just forgot to add that translation?

About a patch - done. I've also incorporated your UPDATE sql right into INSERT INTO sql, since 5.2.0-B2 version wasn't released yet and we don't need that clear upgrade script yet.

Dmitry A.

Feb 21, 2012, 6:40:20 PM2/21/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Thx Alex