Proposing new "System Configuration" installation step

Dmitry A.

Jan 16, 2011, 10:47:44 PM1/16/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

For In-Portal 5.2.0 we are proposing to add new System Configuration step to Installation process + Update System Configuration option for "Installation Maintenance" (to make changes after the installation). The purpose of this step would be to manage System Settings which can't be saved in the Database due to code architecture and must be accessible before connection to the database for better performance.

Below is description of how it can work.

1. New Installation:

Add System Configuration step (after Basic Configuration step) and make this step to be visible ONLY when Debugger is ON.

It will list the following variable (all MUST be saved in system/config.php):

WriteablePath (string, default "/system")
AdminDirectory (string)
AdminPresetsDirectory (string)
ApplicationClass (string)
ApplicationPath (string)
CacheHandler (drop-down with current options)
MemcacheServers (string)

2. Installation Maintenance:

Add Update System Configuration option after Update License Information option.

WriteablePath (string, default "/system")
AdminDirectory (string)
AdminPresetsDirectory (string)
ApplicationClass (string, visible with Debug ON)
ApplicationPath (string,
visible with Debug ON
)
CacheHandler (drop-down with current options)
MemcacheServers (string)

Description (right hand side) for this new section can read something like this:

These are system advanced settings and must be changed with caution. It's not recommended to change these settings unless you know what you are doing. These settings will be stored in system/config.php file and can be changed manually if needed.

Let me know what you think.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 17, 2011, 2:24:22 AM1/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Specifying empty value for mentioned above variables will make effect too:
  • AdminDirectory (string, default "/admin")
  • AdminPresetsDirectory (string, default "/admin")
  • MemcacheServers (string, default "localhost:11211")

I propose to erase variable definition from config.php file, when entered value matches default one.

All other things seem to be ok.

--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 17, 2011, 4:24:55 AM1/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
sounds really good :)

Dmitry A.

Jan 17, 2011, 11:15:38 AM1/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I agree about showing the defaults and NOT saving them in config.php unless they have different value.

Are we ready for a task or need more time here?

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 17, 2011, 11:56:42 AM1/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
nothing else for me too

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 17, 2011, 12:52:34 PM1/17/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please create the task.

Dmitry A.

Jan 18, 2011, 11:04:08 PM1/18/11
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
New task created:

969: New "System Configuration" installation step

DA