മലയാളം ടൈപ്പ് പ്രശ്നങ്ങള്

Shibu Nair

Feb 17, 2009, 1:37:59 PM2/17/09
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
Can somebody help me in solving the problem of typing malayalam?  Except in Gmail compose window, I got strange results while typing malayalam. the result was same with inscript and swnalekha. ചില്ലക്ഷരങ്ങളും കൂട്ടക്ഷരങ്ങളും ടൈപ്പ് ചെയ്യാനാവുന്നില്ല. ന്, ല്, ള്, ര്, വ്വ, റ്റ, ക്ക, ച്ച .... തുടങ്ങിയവയൊക്കെയും ചിതറിനില്‍ക്കുന്നതായി കാണുന്നു.  ഓപ്പണ്‍ ഓഫീസിലും, ജിംപിലും ഇതു തന്നെ അവസ്ഥ. ജി-മെയിലിലെ ഫോണ്ട് വലിയ കുഴപ്പമില്ല. നല്ല ഭംഗിയുണ്ട് എന്നാലും ചില അക്ഷരങ്ങള് ചേരുന്നില്ല. ഇതില് നിന്ന് കോപ്പി ചെയ്ത് വേഡ് പ്രോസസ്സറിലോ ജിംപിലോ കൊണ്ടു പോകാനും കഴിയുന്നില്ല. ആരെങ്കിലും സഹായിക്കുമോ?

സസ്നേഹം
ഷിബു

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Yadu Nand <yadud...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks,

But, honestly i don't know how much the MaSH would have on the majority,
which are juniors. The shell is demanded only by the few advanced folks.
I guess a little time with Qt and some BaSH scripting basics would keep
them happy !

To be honest i think its better left to your discretion,i believe that you'd
know how to manage the crowd better ..

--
Shibu K. Nair
Thanal

Manilal K M

Feb 18, 2009, 1:23:37 AM2/18/09
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Can somebody help me in solving the problem of typing malayalam?
Except in Gmail compose window, I got strange results while typing
malayalam. the result was same with inscript and swnalekha.
ചില്ലക്ഷരങ്ങളും കൂട്ടക്ഷരങ്ങളും ടൈപ്പ് ചെയ്യാനാവുന്നില്ല. ന്, ല്, ള്,
ര്, വ്വ, റ്റ, ക്ക, ച്ച .... തുടങ്ങിയവയൊക്കെയും ചിതറിനില്‍ക്കുന്നതായി
കാണുന്നു. ഓപ്പണ്‍ ഓഫീസിലും, ജിംപിലും ഇതു തന്നെ അവസ്ഥ. ജി-മെയിലിലെ
ഫോണ്ട് വലിയ കുഴപ്പമില്ല. നല്ല ഭംഗിയുണ്ട് എന്നാലും ചില അക്ഷരങ്ങള്
ചേരുന്നില്ല. ഇതില് നിന്ന് കോപ്പി ചെയ്ത് വേഡ് പ്രോസസ്സറിലോ ജിംപിലോ
കൊണ്ടു പോകാനും കഴിയുന്നില്ല. ആരെങ്കിലും സഹായിക്കുമോ?

Please provide more information so that we may be able to help you.
1. Which distro(name & version) are you using ?
2. How did you tried to type Malayalam - SCIM, Xkeyboard, ibus ,...?

regards
--
Manilal K M : മണിലാല്‍ കെ എം.
http://libregeek.blogspot.com

Shibu Nair

Feb 18, 2009, 2:14:09 AM2/18/09
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Dear Manilal,

I am using Ubuntu. from the taskbar i selected the keyboard and chose malayalam.  In malayalam there were 4 options (all belongs to SCIM), Inscript, Swanalekha, Ml-Inscript and Ml-Itrans.  Swanalekha and ML-Itrans are phonetic (type in english and get translated into malayalam) other two inscript options have its own key lay-out which is universal.  I tried all four options , in open office word processor

The results
1. When tried to read Malayalam blogs, emails, the malayalam letters found disjointed.
2. Interestingly, when I composed my previous email in malayalam things worked and when I opened your reply mail, I found them disjointed. But again in compose mode the same text reappeared perfect.
3.In Inscript keyboard lay out a chillaksharam is produced with 3 key depressions. the first key is for corresponding letter, the second key for chandrakkala and the third key is Nakthram key which converts the letter into chillaksharam  For example,
n  +  d  +  ] should produce ല + ്  + ] = ല്
j  +  d  +  ] should produce ല + ് + ] = ര്

When I tried it in open office, it didnt work.  and it didnt produced ക്ക when i typed k + d + k. it gave ക ക ്    only.

So I think there is some problem with my font files. how can it be corrected?

peace
shibu

Manilal K M

Feb 18, 2009, 2:29:51 AM2/18/09
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Shibu,
Most of the issues you mentioned where already fixed, but unless
you provide the version information(for ubuntu and pango) it's
difficult to determine the root cause.

I am also forwarding this mail to smc-d...@googlegroups.com.

regards
Manilal

Shibu Nair

Feb 18, 2009, 2:16:04 AM2/18/09
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Dear Manilal,

My Ubuntu is 8.1 version

Feb 18, 2009, 7:45:28 AM2/18/09
to smc-d...@googlegroups.com, Shibu Nair, lug tvm
It seems the  the buggy ttf-freefont is creating problems

Remove it

sudo apt-get remove ttf-freefont

Anivar
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs. Learning Windows is like learning to eat every meal at McDonalds.