Please destroy LUG and start OSDG.

Narendra Sisodiya

May 22, 2015, 4:22:51 AM5/22/15
to IITDLUG

I personally think that I also made a mistake.

8 year before, I named this group as linux user group. If I have access to time machine then I would have changed it to 'open source developer group'. OSDG.

There is big difference between both. Lug focus more on promotion and advocacy. Name and motivation of this group has affected life of many students. Now I personally realized that it was my mistake. Somebody should have told me that we are technical persons, software engineer and coding skills are our bread and butter. So having a open source developer group in technical college is most suitable.

FOSS coding group will automatically focus more coding hackthons and coding skills rather than just promoting Linux as alternate OS.

Concept of lug started long back and it adopted in many countries. It was a need of that time because linux users were facing many problems.

Now this is not use case at 2015. It is well adopted.
Having good coding skills will give you good job and money.

I still remember few year back I left my job and gave almost 2 year for promoting Linux. I was not having any idea that what i was doing. Nor I was having proper vision. Just like somebody cannot earn much by knowing window, same applies to Linux as well. Having good linux skill and little bit of admin skills will help in getting a good job. But not sufficient. Later I realised that software engineering is all about creating software and coding them using some programming language. Fortunately I was excellent coding skills too but never utilised at that time.

After 2 year of struggle and my startup got collapsed, my bank balance was negative. Huge debt. Finally I decided to join some company. I got a job and settled my life and wife. Now my salary is 7x what i was earning after my college graduation. Even Linus earn 10 million per year. Yes that's true.

I got good job because I was having good programming skill set. From last 4 years I totally away from lug but silently contributing my work on github. That  is the idle contributions expected from us and not long long email threads.

Even If you use Window to code open source stuff it will great. Lots of open source developer use Mac for development.

Almost every company use open source stuff. It may be like common library or framework.

Companies build solution for their customers. Customers pay for them.

So we must dismantle this group and start promoting open source developer group.

Or just rename it.

And we must work hard to correct this error. We must convey this message to all existing LUGs. Convincing then to convert to or rename as OSDG. Ask them start hackthons and collaborative coding programs. This will lead to better coders and developers. Eventually this will help to startup eco system.

For a technical student, code contributions is best way. In any other way he must be cheating his profession.

So that was the summery of my past 9 year experience.

Please discuss/blog and fwd to other LUGs too.

satyaakam goswami

May 22, 2015, 5:13:18 AM5/22/15
to IITDLUG

So that was the summery of my past 9 year experience.

Please discuss/blog and fwd to other LUGs too.

​i cannot be doing a splitting a thread ​or hair here , in one word you just did an Awesome job as a fellow human being in a journey we all choose to walk !! , one thing we all know gone is gone and never regret about things we do . In life on hindsight always you will be in dilemma, so better avoid thinking like that .

now lets talk about what you want to do yes we all are listening tell us whats on your agenda like

1.  are we ready coding in schools/colleges ?
2.  are we organized enough to do the above
3.  are we going to look back in future and procrastinate

cheers

Shakthi Kannan

May 22, 2015, 5:29:14 AM5/22/15
to IITDLUG
Hi,

--- On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Narendra Sisodiya
<nare...@narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
| Lug focus more on promotion and
| advocacy.
\--

Not necessarily true. You can also organize hackathons and
collaborative coding sessions. It all comes down to the active members
who are participating in the meet-ups.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Narendra Sisodiya

May 22, 2015, 6:02:35 AM5/22/15
to IITDLUG

So that was the summery of my past 9 year experience.

Please discuss/blog and fwd to other LUGs too.

​i cannot be doing a splitting a thread ​or hair here , in one word you just did an Awesome job as a fellow human being in a journey we all choose to walk !! , one thing we all know gone is gone and never regret about things we do . In life on hindsight always you will be in dilemma, so better avoid thinking like that .

now lets talk about what you want to do yes we all are listening tell us whats on your agenda like

Agenda is already explained. I am just sharing a mistake and a vision. I do not have sufficient energy to execute. Agenda is very simple

- Having a College/School level OSDG (developer group) who do coding, design and development of software and software related to product/projects. Can be extended to Open Hardware too.

My main point is, the very notion LUG or Linux advocacy do not belongs to us. We are technical guys/gals meant to do design and develop stuff. technical skills, that is what every company is looking for. notion of promoting Linux and Installing it to fellow classmates will derail evergy of student. Its is good to have RMS type people and they exist and they are sufficient.

So, basically I was telling about - group of hacker who do code/share/learn in open source way. I installed Linux on my brother's system, He never asked his classmates to do so. All he was working on skills and projects. He learned Java/JavaScript. By this process 1-2 other classmates finally "inspired" to install Linux.

1.  are we ready coding in schools/colleges ?

Yes, If not, they will not get good job.

2.  are we organized enough to do the above,

Yes, all we need to convert LUG to Developer group. we already have sufficient students/lugs who can do this. It need not be a central phenomenon. Somebody's else LUG inspired us , we inspired other lug. In same way Developer groups will inspire other developer group.

instead of talking about open office, they will talking about unzipping and parsing .odp files.
instead of talking about Firefox, they will be developing extensions or android app.

that culture will really benefit Bharat to become great.

Infact I proposed having a github account for colleges/student. where student can host their college project or hackathon projects.

3.  are we going to look back in future and procrastinate

cannot comment.

cheers

Narendra Sisodiya
Delhi - Bharat

Narendra Sisodiya

May 22, 2015, 6:04:56 AM5/22/15
to IITDLUG

--- On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Narendra Sisodiya
<nare...@narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
| Lug focus more on promotion and
| advocacy.
\--

Not necessarily true. You can also organize hackathons and
collaborative coding sessions. It all comes down to the active members
who are participating in the meet-ups.

If they do, they become Developer and not Users. Developer groups suits more.

satyaakam goswami

May 22, 2015, 7:05:11 AM5/22/15
to IITDLUG
Agenda is already explained. I am just sharing a mistake and a vision. I do not have sufficient energy to execute.

​Agree and why makes you think you are alone :-)​

Agenda is very simple

- Having a College/School level OSDG (developer group) who do coding, design and development of software and software related to product/projects. Can be extended to Open Hardware too.

​This has worked well at least in three colleges/university ​in NCR region i know of , again what's in a Name , no matter what we call if there are not enough individuals who are there to drive it will not work any which way .

My main point is, the very notion LUG or Linux advocacy do not belongs to us. We are technical guys/gals meant to do design and develop stuff. technical skills, that is what every company is looking for. notion of promoting Linux and Installing it to fellow classmates will derail evergy of student. Its is good to have RMS type people and they exist and they are sufficient.

​Well i still see they have there own place and will continue to have , if we choose not to pursue it is our personal decision which we all respect .

So, basically I was telling about - group of hacker who do code/share/learn in open source way. I installed Linux on my brother's system, He never asked his classmates to do so. All he was working on skills and projects. He learned Java/JavaScript. By this process 1-2 other classmates finally "inspired" to install Linux.

1.  are we ready coding in schools/colleges ?

Yes, If not, they will not get good job.

We will be running a program[1] ​in this direction from 25th-29th May , do contribute your thoughts about it .

2.  are we organized enough to do the above,

Yes, all we need to convert LUG to Developer group. we already have sufficient students/lugs who can do this. It need not be a central phenomenon. Somebody's else LUG inspired us , we inspired other lug. In same way Developer groups will inspire other developer group.

instead of talking about open office, they will talking about unzipping and parsing .odp files.
instead of talking about Firefox, they will be developing extensions or android app.

​I see there are lots of ​user groups doing this already , so no love lost .

that culture will really benefit Bharat to become great.

Infact I proposed having a github account for colleges/student. where student can host their college project or hackathon projects.

On an individual basis many do these days . its an acquired trait which is good . There are two projects which come to my mind who have done a good job at it

​Govt of India[2] ​is going to open a repo of its own , where i see opportunities to contribute . i discovered i have been following this rule[3] instinctively and focusing on creating more of this  this 1% kind of people .

Narendra Sisodiya

May 22, 2015, 10:49:09 AM5/22/15
to IITDLUG

Agenda is already explained. I am just sharing a mistake and a vision. I do not have sufficient energy to execute.

​Agree and why makes you think you are alone :-)​

But I already have some high priority task. my absence from mailing list will continue. This is something which college students should lead. we can guide them. max I can give online presentation.

Anuvrat Parashar

May 22, 2015, 11:09:59 AM5/22/15
to Linux User Group @ IIT Delhi
Whats in the name? Call it whatever you may - its the community that counts.

I was introduced to the community by Satya and Narendra and ever since, I have been bumping into the same familiar faces at various meetups under different banners.
Go to ILUG-D or NCR-Python or MongoDB meetup, the intersection of the sets of people present there is never empty.

So why be so stern about changing the name? At Amity, we called ourselves the Linux Club, but we dabbled in python, android, linux, embedded, web and what not.

IMO, we should concentrate on the quality of the community and not worry so much about the brandname.
Views?

Peace.

Anuvrat Parashar
http;//anuvrat.in

Great Avenger Singh

May 22, 2015, 9:34:47 PM5/22/15
to iit...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Narendra Sisodiya
<nare...@narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:

> changed it to 'open source developer group'.
+1

> For a technical student, code contributions is best way. In any other way he
> must be cheating his profession.

I also feel that "programming" also helps one to plan/solve real life
situations, Just like which function call should be executed first and
which later.

--

Thanks
Arshpreet Singh

I am Sikh boy, Learning by doing and Learning by teaching is my religion.
Slashdot TV.
Video for Nerds. Stuff that matters.
http://tv.slashdot.org/

gajendra khanna

May 25, 2015, 2:29:37 PM5/25/15
to iitdlug
Let me remind you that the group was made then with the express aim to promote and advocate Linux use in the college. Hence, Its not a misnomer at all.
For your current requirements, there are lots of forums. This forum by nature can and does discuss open source developers also.
No change in name is required.

satyaakam goswami

Mar 8, 2016, 3:05:36 AM3/8/16
to IITDLUG
​Ok i see the website lug-iitd.org is down too.This group serves its purpose well but i am worried about all the content on the wiki site we had before . Any way to archive it or put it on some other site ?​

​cheers​

-Satya

Narendra Sisodiya

Mar 8, 2016, 3:08:56 AM3/8/16
to IITDLUG
I think, all lost, will check !

Archit Sharma

Jun 16, 2016, 10:58:03 PM6/16/16
to IITDLUG

Wondering if there was any movement on this? If not, where's the party at?

-- Archit
@arcolife

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016, 13:38 Narendra Sisodiya <nare...@narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
I think, all lost, will check !

gajendra khanna

Jun 17, 2016, 11:42:29 PM6/17/16
to iitdlug
Narendra
can you confirm all is gone?

What party are you talking about Archit :) As summarised above that
its the community that counts. what's in a name.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Narendra Sisodiya
<nare...@narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
> I think, all lost, will check !

Narendra Sisodiya

Jun 18, 2016, 12:42:55 AM6/18/16
to IITDLUG
The website is already gone !
Its is an open mailing list, community can continue whatever they want to do !

gajendra khanna

Jun 18, 2016, 1:58:44 AM6/18/16
to iitdlug
> The website is already gone !
> Its is an open mailing list, community can continue whatever they want to do
> !
ok, Narendra. Thanks for the confirmation. Community can continue to do that.
Website was primarily for offline events anyway which haven't been
happening for a while anyway due to lack of initiative by current
residents in Delhi.
If there is interest for the same, new website can be made else we
will let the domain expire in January 2017.
Regards
Gajendra

Sumantra Dutta Roy

Jun 18, 2016, 4:07:11 AM6/18/16
to iitdlug
Gajendra and Narendra: I guess what I miss most, is in-depth technical
discussions, which used to be around in the late 2000s, when you both were
more active. I like the mailing list better: it is more in-the-face
than going to a website, and checking for things there.
The IITD situation is not very promising: Windows with its
site-wide licence has many followers, and Macs are also coming in, with an
increase in peoples' buying power. A few of us still patronise linux (and
will continue doing so in future as well). What may excite Gajendra a bit
is that since the last three years, I have shifted to Gajendra's favourite
flavour (pure Debian, no Ubuntu), and have enjoyed it except for the past
month, where I have been struggling with getting linux onto a new Dell
Inspiron E5270, and have failed thus far with regard to getting the
following to work: WiFi, Sound, LCD projector connectivity, screen
brightness, and essentially, most of what we use a laptop for. there seems
to be some trouble with non-free drivers and the current stable Debian
kernel, and even our in-house wizard Dr. Shouribrata Chatterjee (remember
him?) hasn't been able to help much (we tried backports). The pre-loaded
Ubuntu has a few of these, but crashes mid-way, and is not of much help. I
am waiting for Shouri to come back from vacation. As much as Dell
advertises linux, there is no worthwhile support to fall back on. One is
basically on one's own, when there is new hardware in the market.
Cheers,
SUMANTRA DUTTA ROY Ph Office: +91 - 11 - 26591084
Department of Electrical Engineering Ph Resid.: +91 - 11 - 26597084
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi Ph MM Lab: +91 - 11 - 26596167
Hauz Khas, New Delhi - 110016, INDIA Facsimile: +91 - 11 - 26581606
http://www.cse.iitd.ac.in/~sumantra/ email: suma...@ee.iitd.ac.in,
Office: II-211, Res: 37 North Avenue sumantra....@gmail.com
UDYOGINAM PURUSHASIMHAM UPAITI LAKSHMEEH
DAIVEN DEYAM ITI KAAPURUSHAAH VADANTI
DAIVAM NIHATYA KURU PAURUSHAM AATMASHAKTYAA
YATNE KRITE YADI NA SIDHYATI KO ATRA DOSHAH
(Favourite Sanskrit Shloka)

gajendra khanna

Jun 21, 2016, 3:45:43 AM6/21/16
to iitdlug
Yes, Sir,
we are missing the technical discussions as well.
Drivers are a big issue for PC hardware especially new.
Earlier N-1 hardware with N+1 hardware used to be a good bet. Probably
still holds.
Many new laptops don't even give drivers for previous windows versions
itself. Not only is there a move towards vendor locking but also
version locking. Yes, of course, I remember Shouribrata Sir. He may be
able to help am sure otherwise you can use Virtualbox temporarily.
Regards
Gajendra

satyaakam

Jun 24, 2016, 8:52:24 AM6/24/16
to Linux User Group @ IIT Delhi
will let the domain expire in January 2017

yes we can let it go untill someone comes forward and takes the ownership .

-Satya