IGV stalled when zooming in

Chantal

May 30, 2017, 11:45:55 AM5/30/17
to igv-help

Hi,

When I start IGV it says “Warning: IGV is running with low available memory (226Mb)”. I can load my data file (.vcf.idx), but as soon as I try to zoom into a region (e.g. chromosome), it stalls forever.

I am using IGV_2.3.91 on Windows 7

Thank you
IGV screenshot.docx

James Robinson

May 31, 2017, 12:45:23 AM5/31/17
to igv-help
Hi,

First you should not load the .vcf.idx file,   that is an index that will be loaded automatically.   Try loading the .vcf file alone.

--

---

Chantal

James Robinson

Jun 6, 2017, 8:08:55 PM6/6/17
to igv-help
What method are you using to start IGV?

Chantal

Jun 8, 2017, 3:32:30 AM6/8/17
to igv-help
A shortcut on my desktop to IGV_2.3.91, which is in my program files

James Robinson

Jun 8, 2017, 4:21:55 AM6/8/17
to igv-help
This doesn't really answer the question,  we don't distribute a shortcut.  We have the option to start from "Java Web Start" buttons on the website, or download a zipped binary package and run from a ".bat" file.    These are the only options that allocate a reasonable amount of memory,  running the "igv.jar" file directly, for example, will not.

So how was the program installed?  Are you using our ".bat" file?

Jim

--

---

Chantal

Jun 8, 2017, 5:13:45 AM6/8/17
to igv-help
I previously downloaded the program; the shortcut I installed indeed links to the .jar file. Can you say where amongst all the files in the download I can find the .bat file ?
I also tried the Launch with 1.2Gb button on the website now, but that still does not seem to solve the problem.
NB: my genome file is about 30Gb, could that be the problem ? If yes, is there a way to split it into separate smaller files ? The file contains WES data of over 100 patients. Can I for instance load the genome of an individual patient ? Thanks !

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 2:08:55 AM UTC+2, Jim Robinson wrote:
What method are you using to start IGV?

--

---

James Robinson

Jun 8, 2017, 11:13:31 AM6/8/17
to igv-help
The instructions for the download packages ("binary" and "windows") are on the web page.   Running igv.jar directly is not going to work,  and the 1.2 gb option probably will not as well for a file this size.   Follow the instructions posted and it should work.   I routinely load WGS VCFs with > 1,000 patients  (thousand genomes).

Secondly for VCF this large I would suggest indexing it with "tabix",  which comes with samtools.   The IGV index (.idx) file will work but is not as efficient.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/igv-help/d7ac227a-66fe-4bbe-8b3c-ba3571e894f9%40googlegroups.com.