Is it proper to show ChIP-seq. fold-enrichment using log scale?

kyl...@connect.hku.hk

Jan 11, 2018, 10:02:18 AM1/11/18
to igv-help
Dear developers,

I recently load ChIP-seq. signal tracks (the signal is Fold-enrichment of the input) into IGV and found that the log scaled tracks look cleaner than those without. To me, it looks like less "noise" is displaying on the track and make it very nice.

However, I do not quite understand the principle behind and I feel quite strange about the difference between log & linear scaled plot. Why the log scale would make the higher signal more stand out but not make their hight closer to the low signals?

Another thing is that, is it proper to show ChIP-seq. fold-enrichment using log scale? Thanks very much!
   Log scale

Linear scale

Kylie