Can I export DNA sequences from IGV?

X. Yin

Oct 16, 2017, 2:16:53 PM10/16/17
to igv-help
Dear all,

I'm new to bioinformatics and my PI gave me serveral very large .BAM files (~200GB each) to analyze. Those files are so large that I can only use IGV to open them. Can I export the whole (or partial) mapping as a DNA sequence in IGV (similar to the "view DNA" function in the UCSC Genome Browser)?

Thanks and best wishes,
Xing

James Robinson

Oct 16, 2017, 3:19:10 PM10/16/17
to igv-help
Hi,

Sorry but I don't understand what you want to do.   Do you want to export the reference sequence?  No, you can't do that from IGV,  it's rather trivial to do that directly from the fasta file.   This has nothing to do with bam files,  unless I am misunderstanding your question.

Jim

--

---

Xing Yin

Oct 16, 2017, 6:36:52 PM10/16/17
to igv-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Jim,

I don't want to export the reference sequence but the "sample" sequence. It seems that all the smaller sequences in each track have been aligned and mapped to the references, and we can see the mutations and insertions to references sequence in the "coverage" row. Can I export a most probable sequence from the "coverage"?

Thanks very much and Best wishes,
Xing
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "igv-help" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/igv-help/CACOP%2BptLh5hbCWssqnBbbq89HcVZb3PovWfCA8YcfFeDdJvnEg%40mail.gmail.com.

James Robinson

Oct 16, 2017, 8:57:28 PM10/16/17
to igv-help
Perhaps this will be useful,  scroll down to the "consensus sequence" description:  http://software.broadinstitute.org/software/igv/PopupMenus

However,  I think you probably want to do this from a scriptable analysis tool,  not a viz tool like IGV.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM, X. Yin <xiy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I'm new to bioinformatics and my PI gave me serveral very large .BAM files (~200GB each) to analyze. Those files are so large that I can only use IGV to open them. Can I export the whole (or partial) mapping as a DNA sequence in IGV (similar to the "view DNA" function in the UCSC Genome Browser)?

Thanks and best wishes,
Xing
--

---

---

---

Dario Strbenac

Oct 16, 2017, 10:00:25 PM10/16/17
to igv-help
You will want to use a command such as samtools mpileup for such a task.