View As Pairs somewhat counter-intuitive behavior - better documentation needed?

Malcolm Cook

Jun 14, 2016, 6:35:20 PM6/14/16
to igv-help
Hi,

I find that when I load a track containing paired end reads, if I am zoomed in to a region that holds only one read of a mate pair, and then turn on "View As Pairs", IGV will not display a line coming out of the read to show that it is has a mate pair.

However, IGV knows it has a mate pair.  For example, If I turn on grouping/coloring by pair-orientation, the read is correctly color coded.

Now, if I zoom out to the region holding the first read AND its mate, only at that time is a line drawn joining the reads.

Furthermore, if I zoom back to the original location, the line is preserved.

For example, if I load a .bam file holding in the mate-pair documented below, and I am zoomed into the locus holding the Left side (i.e. ScGoXVd_1602:10,504,196-10,504,499 is the read +/- 100bp) IGV draws no line.

When I zoom out to the region holding both alignments +/- 100bp, being ScGoXVd_1602:10,504,296-10,557,476 I now see the line.

Finally, if I zoom back into ScGoXVd_1602:10,504,196-10,504,499 the line persists.

I'm not sure what IGV should do, but it took me a while to appreciate what it does do.

Jim, if this is operating as designed, perhaps it could be documented better in http://www.broadinstitute.org/software/igv/AlignmentData#paired where it currently reads                      "Select View as pairs from the right-click menu to display pairs together with a line joining the ends as shown in the image below"
It might additionally say
              "Lines are only drawn when both members of the pair are on-screen, or have been on screen, and are still in JAVA's heap" (or something, whatever it is).

There have been a few unresolved posts on this forum that may possibly be explained with this understanding.

~Malcolm

Left alignment
Read name = SN639:758:HJTYHBCXX:2:1211:13395:43416
Sample = sm
Read group = FASTQ
----------------------
Location = ScGoXVd_1602:10,504,399
Alignment start = 10,504,296 (-)
Cigar = 151M
Mapped = yes
Mapping quality = 70
Secondary = no
Supplementary = no
Duplicate = no
Failed QC = no
----------------------
Base = G
Base phred quality = 38
----------------------
Mate is mapped = yes
Mate start = ScGoXVd_1602:10557375 (-)
Insert size = 52928
Second in pair
Pair orientation = R2R1
----------------------
LB = lb
PG = SNAP
RG = FASTQ
PL = Illumina
NM = 0
SM = sm
MQ = 26
PU = pu
xj = T
xs = 35
xt = D
-------------------
Right alignment
Read name = SN639:758:HJTYHBCXX:2:1211:13395:43416
Sample = sm
Read group = FASTQ
----------------------
Location = ScGoXVd_1602:10,504,399