Load from server not working ( Windows 10 )

Shubha

Oct 5, 2017, 9:01:30 AM10/5/17
to igv-help
I have tried all the 3 options - Java Web start, Windows zip archive and the binary distribution.
When I click igv.bat, the main IGV window opens up fine. I select a genome 'hg19' or 'hg18'. From the file menu , when i click 'Load from server' , it is supposed to load the available datasets.
I see this status bar 'loading' at the bottom and number of MBs remaining to download. But nothing happens even after hours, the main window continues to display with the status bar

Seeing the workaround for a problem due to windows creator upgrade on this forum, I tried the L->F under 'Extras' and changing to 'Metal' or 'Nimbus'. That didn't help.

System details
Windows 10  1703 ( creator upgrade )
Java 8
There is no log file. I am checking within the directory where the zip archive is extracted.

drco...@mgh.harvard.edu

Oct 5, 2017, 10:44:07 AM10/5/17
to igv-help
I am having the same exact problem, also on Windows 10 1703 with Java 8. I have tried Web launch, Windows and binary distributions to no avail. As Shubha describes, the program launches but genomes will not load. The status bar displays the number of MBs, which never completes downloading and occasionally sets itself back to a lower number after increasing slowly. I downloaded yesterday and today and have not used IGV previously.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can figure out a workaround.

David

Oct 5, 2017, 10:48:19 AM10/5/17
to igv-help
Shubha: I just tried IGV v2.3 (instead of v2.4) and it seems to be working. Please try this as a temporary solution. http://software.broadinstitute.org/software/igv/igv2.3

Cynthia S

Oct 5, 2017, 1:08:31 PM10/5/17
to igv-help
Thanks David. I was having the same problem and the archived 2.3 works.

Helga Thorvaldsdottir

Oct 5, 2017, 2:40:35 PM10/5/17
to igv-help
All,

We found an issue in IGV 2.4 with downloading genomes on Windows.
It's been fixed and released in IGV 2.4.2 (i.e. the release that's now on the main Downloads page)
We think it will also fix the issues described in this thread. Let us know if you still have problems.

Thanks,
Helga

Shubha

Oct 5, 2017, 3:51:07 PM10/5/17
to igv-help
Hi David,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!! It does work with IGV 2.3!! Did you install Java 7 for that?
I tried with the current Java 8 itself, it seems to be loading the genome fine so far.

Shubha

Oct 5, 2017, 3:54:33 PM10/5/17
to igv-help
Thanks Helga for the update on the fix. I'll try downloading the new version and will let the forum know how that goes

Shubha

Oct 5, 2017, 5:59:20 PM10/5/17
to igv-help
The new version IGV2.4.2 works fine to download genomes and the data sets are available to work with!!
Thanks!!