add rsid capability to search box

Will C

Sep 21, 2015, 5:32:53 PM9/21/15
to igv-help
 Is it possible to add the ability to search for SNP rsid numbers in the IGV search box?

Jim Robinson

Sep 21, 2015, 5:56:43 PM9/21/15
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am considering this but its more complicated than you would think.   Currently IGV search simply searches features you have loaded via one of the tracks, it does not use any external resource.  Searching by rsid will require a call out to an external database.    Until that's in place,  if you have a limited set of snp IDs (or any other feature) you wish to search you can load it as a bed or gff track,  then it will be available in the search box.

Jim

--

---

Will C

Sep 27, 2015, 9:40:45 AM9/27/15
to igv-help
The custom bed file track worked fine. However loading the dbSNP track from the server did not work.
-Will

Jim Robinson

Sep 27, 2015, 12:14:05 PM9/27/15
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
I assume you mean our server?  That's because it is indexed and it only loads what is in view.   To support this for all snps will require a database.   It is important and will be done just not as easy as loading a track.   I assume you are just loading a subset of snps in your custom track.

--

---