Creating .Genome hung and stuck on IGV_2.3.89

Alex Chitsazan

Jan 6, 2017, 5:49:24 PM1/6/17
to igv-help
I'm having trouble creating a .genome. I'm doing this in dogs, in which I'm trying to version control our GTF for CanFam3.1.

If I load my appropriate files of:

 1. fasta (`Canis_familiaris.CanFam3.1.dna_rm.toplevel.fa`) found at ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/release-85/fasta/canis_familiaris/dna/

2. GTF ('Canis_familiaris.CanFam3.1.85.gtf.gz') found at ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/release-85/gtf/canis_familiaris

It hangs on "loading genome" and when it eventually loads after ~5 min, the gene track doesn't show up. Even more weird, if I load the .genome created from igv_2.3.89 (which had the problem previously stated) in the web igv_2.3, it loads fine. Any idea as to why this could be?

- Alex
igv.log
Message has been deleted

James Robinson

Jan 6, 2017, 6:54:14 PM1/6/17
to igv-help
The log shows you ran out of memory,  probably because of the size of the gtf file.   Which download option did you use for the 2.3.89 version?

BTW,  the web page also launches 2.3.89, which you can verify with "Help > About".    Which of the webpage links did you click (there are 4).

--

---

Alex Chitsazan

James Robinson

Jan 6, 2017, 7:12:46 PM1/6/17
to igv-help
Yes, that link takes you to a page with many download and web launch options.   Which exactly did you use?

James Robinson

Jan 6, 2017, 7:31:59 PM1/6/17
to igv-help
BTW that assembly is available via "Load genome from server".   Its  listed as  "Dog (canFam3)".   The annotation set is different but sequence is the same,  you can load the gtf separately as a track.

Alex Chitsazan

Jan 9, 2017, 1:24:54 PM1/9/17
to igv-help
Oh great I did not realize you could load the gtf as a track. Maybe that is how I should do it. The "mac app" download of 2.3.89

Thanks!

Alex