Re: [igv-help] Load and access TDF file

James Robinson

Aug 1, 2017, 12:07:04 AM8/1/17
to igv-help
There is no library per se, but you could download igvtools and use "igvtools.jar" as a library.    There is no documentation, because again this is not really a libary,  but see org.broad.igv.tdfTDFDataSourceTest as an example to get started.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Tjioe Marvin Christian <t.marvin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering, is there any way to load and access TDF file in my own code?

Thank you

--

---

James Robinson

Aug 1, 2017, 12:08:22 AM8/1/17
to igv-help
I should add that bigwig is probably a better format in that it is more widely used and supported by more tools.   The two formats were developed independently at around the same time, and for most purposes are equivalent.

Tjioe Marvin Christian

Aug 2, 2017, 6:39:35 AM8/2/17
to igv-help
Thanks for your answer.

the "genome" variable, where it comes from? I realize, to get the score I need that but I couldn't find how to declare it.

And also thanks for your suggestion for bigwig format, I'll have a look at that

Cheers!

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 2:07:04 PM UTC+10, Jim Robinson wrote:
There is no library per se, but you could download igvtools and use "igvtools.jar" as a library.    There is no documentation, because again this is not really a libary,  but see org.broad.igv.tdfTDFDataSourceTest as an example to get started.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Tjioe Marvin Christian <t.marvin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering, is there any way to load and access TDF file in my own code?

Thank you

--

---

James Robinson

Aug 2, 2017, 2:06:11 PM8/2/17
to igv-help
The genome parameter can be null.   Its only used to do chromosome aliasing,  for example 1<->chr1.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/igv-help/e88d81b5-54fa-472c-8e9f-07f1a4928575%40googlegroups.com.

Tjioe Marvin Christian

Aug 2, 2017, 8:52:51 PM8/2/17
to igv-help
Thank you. but it seems I can't use exactly same like the example because the function "getSummaryScores()" is protected and not public. There's no way I can't access it.
If I used the function "getSummaryScoresForRange()" and put null for the genome variable. It gives me null exception.
Do you have any idea about this one?

Thanks again

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Tjioe Marvin Christian <t.marvin....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

James Robinson

Aug 2, 2017, 8:58:38 PM8/2/17
to igv-help
Sorry not specifically.   Its not designed to be a library of course, to make it work as such will likely require some code changes.   I'll entertain pull requests in this regard.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/igv-help/9c27e5f3-628a-4e5f-9f13-af753cc2dadd%40googlegroups.com.

Tjioe Marvin Christian

Aug 2, 2017, 10:27:51 PM8/2/17
to igv-help
No problem, I just need a good way to count the read depth so I try to use TDF file.
I can use htsjdk to count that, but it's pretty slow because I repeat it several times.

Thank you

James Robinson

Aug 2, 2017, 10:52:25 PM8/2/17
to igv-help
You can output a wig file instead of "tdf" by just using a ".wig" extension instead of ".tdf".   This can then be converted to bigwig, if you wish.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/igv-help/6ac7e400-61e2-47bf-aa38-04c5fe17d151%40googlegroups.com.

Tjioe Marvin Christian

Aug 8, 2017, 11:37:34 AM8/8/17
to igv-help
I just curious about this:

Previously you said I can use null for the genome variable, but still it didn't work at all.
Is there any way to load it?

Thank you

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 2:07:04 PM UTC+10, Jim Robinson wrote:
There is no library per se, but you could download igvtools and use "igvtools.jar" as a library.    There is no documentation, because again this is not really a libary,  but see org.broad.igv.tdfTDFDataSourceTest as an example to get started.

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Tjioe Marvin Christian <t.marvin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering, is there any way to load and access TDF file in my own code?

Thank you

--

---

James Robinson

Aug 8, 2017, 11:56:26 AM8/8/17
to igv-help
You'll just have to step through and debug it,  I can't guess what the problem is with no details.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/igv-help/38b24847-5fcb-4b64-86a2-80015884c55f%40googlegroups.com.

Tjioe Marvin Christian

James Robinson

Aug 9, 2017, 12:00:36 AM8/9/17
to igv-help
Yes,  I don't think you'll be able to use TDFDataSource directly as it's too dependent on IGV.    You can use it as a model for your own class that uses TDFReader directly.     But as I stated earlier I think you would be better off using wig and bigWig.

Jim

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/igv-help/8c0d795a-3d8b-46a4-8cb3-7784563125b7%40googlegroups.com.

Tjioe Marvin Christian

Aug 9, 2017, 8:57:09 AM8/9/17