Created .genome file takes longer to load than default

Mthabisi Moyo

Oct 21, 2017, 2:26:02 AM10/21/17
to igv-help
I made a .genome from Ensembl's version release 90 using their annotation and karyotype file as well. Although the .genome works well, it loads a lot slower (approximately 1min) than the default hg19 or hg38 (under 10 seconds to load) that comes preinstalled with IGV. Once loaded it doesn't seem to lag in any way. I noticed that the default hg38 is much smaller (6.6MB) than the ones I generate either from GENCODE or Ensemble (ensembl .genome is 37.3MB). Is this the cause of the slower loading and if so, is there a way to decrease the size of the .genome that I created?

I am using IGV 2.3.91 on mac os x

Thanks.

James Robinson

Oct 21, 2017, 2:49:32 AM10/21/17
to igv-help
Yes, don't include the annotation.   Instead,  index the annotation file with either tabix or igvtools and load it separately from the file menu.

--

---