Blank tract when uploading bedgraph file

Euan McDonnell

Jan 8, 2018, 8:07:31 PM1/8/18
to igv-help
Hi,

I've tried uploading the bedGraph file "bg_test.bedGraph" to IGV but every time I do I get a completely flat track - could it be due to the low number of reads per coordinate (averages 1-2). Wouldn't IGV at least scale the peaks relative to each other, even if they are overall small?

I am using IGV_2.4.5.

Thanks
Euan McDonnell

bg_test.bedGraph
igv.log

Helga Thorvaldsdottir

Jan 9, 2018, 12:19:05 PM1/9/18
to igv-help
Hi Euan,

All the lines in the file have the chromosome value "chr" which is not a valid chromosome number.

Helga

Euan McDonnell

Jan 10, 2018, 7:29:08 PM1/10/18
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helga,

What would a correct chromosome value for MG1655 K12 be (or how would I go about finding this out)? I've tried it with NC_000913.3  too but this still doesn't work.

(apologies I'm very new to this)

Thanks,
Euan

--

---

Helga Thorvaldsdottir

Jan 11, 2018, 4:46:27 PM1/11/18
to igv-help
Euan,

The chromosome name needs to match a name in the currently loaded reference genome (either directly or via an alias file). If you loaded the genome via a FASTA file, you can see the names there. Or, once a genome has been loaded into IGV you can see the names in the chromosome dropdown menu. For example, IGV hosts two E. coli K-12 MG1655 genomes. I loaded one, and saw the chromosome name U00096.2 in the dropdown. I replaced the "chr" in the bedgraph file with "U00096.2" and the data shows up when the file is loaded.

Helga