stranded coverage and reads alignment

ysueha...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2016, 5:35:16 AM8/2/16
to igv-help
Hi,
I ran targeted sequence by Ion PGM. On the middle of amplicon, stranded coverage information showed that plus strand coverages are higher than those of minus (shown below), however it seems minus strand reads outnumber those of plus in colored alignment (image attached).

 chr2:25,457,244
Total count: 35146
A : 73 (0%, 73+, 0- )
C : 28 (0%, 27+, 1- )
G : 35043 (100%, 32499+, 2544- )
T : 2 (0%, 2+, 0- )
N : 0
---------------
DEL: 0
INS: 255

What could be wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Yasu
igv_snapshot.png

MONA SPECTOR

Sep 22, 2016, 3:17:59 PM9/22/16
to igv-help
Hi, I am sorry to say I don't have an answer for this, but do have a related question as I am also wondering about this. How is the strand orientation determined for calculating the strand coverage? I have a preponderance of + reads although I expected 50%. Thanks for your help. Mona

James Robinson

Sep 23, 2016, 5:34:08 PM9/23/16
to igv-help
Hi,

I'm actually not sure, its impossible to say from the screenshot.   I assume you are coloring by read strand.   Could you extract this portion of you bam and share it with us?   You can do this from the right-click menu.   I can send you a drop box link to upload.

James Robinson

Sep 23, 2016, 5:34:51 PM9/23/16
to igv-help
Read strand is determined from a flag in the BAM alignment record.