New release -> merging Pyzo and IEP projects

Almar Klein

Apr 7, 2016, 10:22:22 AM4/7/16
to Pyzo, ie...@googlegroups.com

Hi all!

I’m pleased to announce a new release!

This is the first release after we merged the Pyzo and IEP projects. In short, both projects are combined into a project that is an IDE (not a distribution) which helps the user with installing a conda environment. One way to look at it, is that the Pyzo distro is discontinued, and the IEP project is renamed to Pyzo. More info at http://iep.pyzo.org

Furthermore, the repository has moved to github: http://github.com/pyzo/pyzo, which should make it easier for others to contribute to the project.

The main reasons for this merge is that the way that Pyzo worked caused several problems related to updating packages, and it costs us a lot of time to maintain. In the new approach, users need to install anaconda or miniconda by themselves, but we make that as easy as possible, using a quickstart guide on the website, and the IDE helps detect/select an interpreter on first use.

If you are interested in distributing a conda environment with the IDE included, you can do that; Pyzo now detects interpreters relative to itself.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Happy coding!

  Almar

Éric DÉTREZ

Apr 7, 2016, 12:42:08 PM4/7/16
to ie...@googlegroups.com
​I have a concern.
I downloaded Pyzo/iep and miniconda all is fine.
I can download packages (numpy, ...)
But :
1 The interface is really ugly :( It seems there is no font aliasing​

​2 It very slow to launch

P.S. I use Debian Linux​

--

Éric DÉTREZ
Informatique

Almar Klein

Apr 7, 2016, 4:02:13 PM4/7/16
to Éric DÉTREZ, ie...@googlegroups.com

Hi Éric,

This is strange. Are you using the binary, or running from source? Did previous versions look different?

Regards,

  Almar

Éric DÉTREZ

Apr 7, 2016, 4:09:36 PM4/7/16
to ie...@googlegroups.com

Hi Éric,

This is strange. Are you using the binary, or running from source? Did previous versions look different?

​I have a concern.

I downloaded Pyzo/iep and miniconda all is fine.

I can download packages (numpy, ...)

But :
1 The interface is really ugly :( It seems there is no font aliasing​

​2 It very slow to launch

P.S. I use Debian Linux​

​I downloaded the binaries (linux 64 bits)

Usually Pyzo was very nice​

Almar Klein

Apr 7, 2016, 4:40:35 PM4/7/16
to Éric DÉTREZ, ie...@googlegroups.com

I can confirm that the fonts look terrible on my test VM. Thinks look just fine for the 32bits build though. I suspect there is something wrong with my build VM. I’ll look into it. Thanks for mentioning!

- Almar

Apr 7, 2016, 4:59:28 PM4/7/16
to Éric DÉTREZ, ie...@googlegroups.com

Apr 8, 2016, 4:19:16 AM4/8/16
to ie...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful !
Quick launching
Nice font and interface.
I recognize the Pyzo I loved.

Thank you for this *very* quick fix.

Do you know that Pyzo is the IDE that is used in hundreds of scientific undergraduate classes in France ? (2 years that precede engineer school).

Almar Klein

Apr 8, 2016, 5:59:01 AM4/8/16
to Éric DÉTREZ, ie...@googlegroups.com

Awesome. Thank you for reporing it!

I’ve heard that Pyzo is quite popular in France, yes. Did not know it was used in classes so  much though.

- Almar

Apr 8, 2016, 6:01:50 AM4/8/16
to ie...@googlegroups.com

Do you know that Pyzo is the IDE that is used in hundreds of scientific undergraduate classes in France ? (2 years that precede engineer school).

​About this​

​: we ask student to install Pyzo in their own computer. Could you please keep the old versions of Pyzo where they can download it.
We'll try to make a step-by-step tutorial to help them with the new versions but it would be helpful to have a simple "download then use" version.​

Éric DÉTREZ

Apr 8, 2016, 6:04:24 AM4/8/16
to ie...@googlegroups.com

Awesome. Thank you for reporing it!

I’ve heard that Pyzo is quite popular in France, yes. Did not know it was used in classes so  much though.

​A popular request about Pyzo is to get "brace matching​".
Is it a feature we could hope in a near future ?

Éric DÉTREZ

Apr 8, 2016, 6:10:34 AM4/8/16
to Almar Klein, ie...@googlegroups.com

Awesome. Thank you for reporing it!

I’ve heard that Pyzo is quite popular in France, yes. Did not know it was used in classes so  much though.

​For example : a contest joining more than 10000 students​ use Pyzo as a tool.
NoticeCentrale.png

Almar Klein

Apr 8, 2016, 7:20:25 AM4/8/16
to Éric DÉTREZ, ie...@googlegroups.com

The old downloads are here. I will make a link to it from the website. As I mentioned, I am not going to build these all-in-one packages anymore, but if someone else would like to make these, I’d be happy to link to them and/or help get them hosted somewhere.

Brace matching is implemented (though does not skip strings yet).

- Almar

May 13, 2016, 10:06:39 AM5/13/16
to Pyzo, ie...@googlegroups.com
Now that pyzo is packaged for Debian (soon to arrive in Ubuntu), I need to consider the migration from existing iep users on Debian to the newly packaged pyzo. Only then, iep can be removed from the archive.

Can an existing user import his iep settings to pyzo easily? and how?

Cheers,
Ghis

Almar Klein

May 17, 2016, 4:02:01 AM5/17/16
to ghis...@gmail.com, Pyzo, ie...@googlegroups.com

Users can copy  ~/.iep/config.ssdf to ~/.pyzo/config.ssdf. This will make settings and shortcuts work as before, as well as all shell configurations, but not the configuration of tools, or what tools were open.

- Almar