file was changed

godi...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2014, 2:35:40 PM11/3/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I'm editing a file that is saved in a virtual drive (and has to be, for testing purposes).
every time I make a change to it and save, I get the message:
File has been modified outside of the editor:
F:/....
Do you want to reload?
I've attached a screenshot. This is incessant - how do I stop it?
Screenshot 2014-11-03 21.33.05.png

Almar Klein

Nov 3, 2014, 3:41:05 PM11/3/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. IEP uses ``os.path.getmtime(filename)`` to establish
modification times. It stores that time-value right after saving. Maybe
there is some sort of synchronisation issue, where getmtime actually
gets the value from *before* the save.

Does the message occur when you want to save, or right after saving?
i.e. is the save successful?

- Almar

godi...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2014, 5:10:00 AM11/4/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
It occurs several seconds after I save. The save is successful.

Almar Klein

Nov 4, 2014, 5:35:14 AM11/4/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
And does is occur once after each save?

- Almar

On 04-11-14 11:09, godi...@gmail.com wrote:
> It occurs several seconds after I save. The save is successful.
>
> On Monday, November 3, 2014 10:41:05 PM UTC+2, Almar wrote:
>
> Interesting. IEP uses ``os.path.getmtime(filename)`` to establish
> modification times. It stores that time-value right after saving. Maybe
> there is some sort of synchronisation issue, where getmtime actually
> gets the value from *before* the save.
>
> Does the message occur when you want to save, or right after saving?
> i.e. is the save successful?
>
> - Almar
>
> On 03-11-14 20:35, godi...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> > Hey, I'm editing a file that is saved in a virtual drive (and has
> to be,
> > for testing purposes).
> > every time I make a change to it and save, I get the message:
> > File has been modified outside of the editor:
> > F:/....
> > Do you want to reload?
> > I've attached a screenshot. This is incessant - how do I stop it?
> >
> > --
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Godi Gordon

Nov 4, 2014, 6:37:12 AM11/4/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
exactly.

Almar Klein

Nov 4, 2014, 7:30:08 AM11/4/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
Mmm... I suspect that either the reported mtime is outdated, or it is
related to time resolution. Could you try running this a few times:

import os
import sleep

# Simulate saving a file in IEP
filename = '/a/file/on/your/virtual/drive'
with open(filename, 'wb') as f:
f.write(b'x' * 100)

# Right after saving, IEP gets the mtime
mtime1 = os.path.getmtime(filename)

# A little while later, at focusInEvent, IEP gets mtime again
time.sleep(1.0)
mtime2 = os.path.getmtime(filename)
print(mtime1 == mtime2, mtime1, mtime2)

Further, is there any chance that some program (Dropbox?) is somehow
changing the modification time? (although I've been successfully editing
files in a Dropbox folder many times)

- Almar

On 04-11-14 12:37, Godi Gordon wrote:
> exactly.
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Almar Klein <almar...@gmail.com
> <mailto:almar...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> And does is occur once after each save?
>
> - Almar
>
> On 04-11-14 11:09, godi...@gmail.com <mailto:godi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It occurs several seconds after I save. The save is successful.
>
> On Monday, November 3, 2014 10:41:05 PM UTC+2, Almar wrote:
>
> Interesting. IEP uses ``os.path.getmtime(filename)`` to
> establish
> modification times. It stores that time-value right after
> saving. Maybe
> there is some sort of synchronisation issue, where getmtime
> actually
> gets the value from *before* the save.
>
> Does the message occur when you want to save, or right
> after saving?
> i.e. is the save successful?
>
> - Almar
>
> On 03-11-14 20:35, godi...@gmail.com
> <mailto:godi...@gmail.com> <javascript:> wrote:
> > Hey, I'm editing a file that is saved in a virtual drive
> (and has
> to be,
> > for testing purposes).
> > every time I make a change to it and save, I get the
> message:
> > File has been modified outside of the editor:
> > F:/....
> > Do you want to reload?
> > I've attached a screenshot. This is incessant - how do I
> stop it?
> >
> > --
> from it,
> send
> > an email to iep_+uns...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:iep_%2Buns...@googlegroups.com> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:iep_+uns...@__googlegroups.com
> <mailto:iep_%2Buns...@googlegroups.com> <javascript:>>.
> > For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
>
> --
>

> --

Godi Gordon

Nov 4, 2014, 1:11:47 PM11/4/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com

Hey, I run it, and it said no sleep module, so I deleted that line, and then it said no time module, so I imported time. Here's the version of the program I ran:

import os

import time

# Simulate saving a file in IEP

filename = 'Try2.py'

with open(filename, 'wb') as f:

f.write(b'x' * 100)

# Right after saving, IEP gets the mtime

mtime1 = os.path.getmtime(filename)

# A little while later, at focusInEvent, IEP gets mtime again

time.sleep(1.0)

mtime2 = os.path.getmtime(filename)

print(mtime1 == mtime2, mtime1, mtime2)

This are the results I get in Python3:

True 1415123757.5311644 1415123757.5311644

True 1415123868.7713225 1415123868.7713225

True 1415123871.9274006 1415123871.9274006

True 1415123879.8203368 1415123879.8203368

True 1415123887.7792277 1415123887.7792277

This is what I got in Python2:

True 1415124396.5326853 1415124396.5326853

True 1415124405.4936879 1415124405.4936879

True 1415124411.9678059 1415124411.9678059

I tried looking for sleep module, but couldn't find it. Also, There's no Dropbox.

Almar Klein

Nov 4, 2014, 5:12:40 PM11/4/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My mistake; I meant "import time" :)

Ok, this seems to indicate that there is *not* a problem with mtime
synchronisation ... I assume 'Try2.py' is a file on the virtual drive?

Here's another piece of code to try and see if we can reproduce that the
file mtime is maybe changed externally ...

import os
import time

# Simulate saving a file in IEP
filename = 'filename_on_the_virtual_drive.py'
with open(filename, 'wb') as f:
f.write(b'x' * 100)

# Check directly after saving
mtime1 = os.path.getmtime(filename)

# Check for a while
etime = time.time() + 10.0
while time.time() < etime:
mtime2 = os.path.getmtime(filename)
assert mtime1 == mtime2
print('all is fine')
> > an email to iep_+uns...@googlegroups.__com
> > <mailto:iep_+uns...@__googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Rob Reilink

Almar Klein

Nov 5, 2014, 3:08:19 AM11/5/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com

On 05-11-14 00:58, Rob Reilink wrote:
> might it have to do with timestamp-discretization? Some filesystems are
> only accurate to multiple-second resolution, which can cause the
> modification time to be not equal to the time when it was last saved.

I considered that, but IEP compares with the getmtime acquired right
after saving, not with the time.time() after saving.

- Almar

> Rob

> <mailto:almar...@gmail.com>>:
>
> Interesting. IEP uses ``os.path.getmtime(filename)`` to establish
> modification times. It stores that time-value right after saving.
> Maybe there is some sort of synchronisation issue, where getmtime
> actually gets the value from *before* the save.
>
> Does the message occur when you want to save, or right after saving?
> i.e. is the save successful?
>
> - Almar
>
> On 03-11-14 20:35, godi...@gmail.com <mailto:godi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey, I'm editing a file that is saved in a virtual drive (and
> has to be,
> for testing purposes).
> every time I make a change to it and save, I get the message:
> File has been modified outside of the editor:
> F:/....
> Do you want to reload?
> I've attached a screenshot. This is incessant - how do I stop it?
>
> --
>

> --

Godi Gordon

Nov 5, 2014, 5:26:43 AM11/5/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry, I haven't read the code thoroughly.  I've not put a correct filename to filename = '  filename = '/a/file/on/your/virtual/drive' so it would imitate saving a file on the virtual drive.
Here are the correct results of the first code:

True 1415182708.0 1415182708.0

True 1415182708.0 1415182708.0

True 1415182713.0 1415182713.0

And for the second code:

import os

import time

# Simulate saving a file in IEP

filename = 'F:\TRY1'

with open(filename, 'wb') as f:

f.write(b'x' * 100)

# Check directly after saving

mtime1 = os.path.getmtime(filename)

# Check for a while

etime = time.time() + 10.0

while time.time() < etime:

mtime2 = os.path.getmtime(filename)

assert mtime1 == mtime2

print('all is fine')

On the first run of a certain filename it gives back all is fine, but on the second (and third, fourth,etc.) of a same filename (e.g. 'F:\TRY1') it returns:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<tmp 3>", line 16, in <module>

assert mtime1 == mtime2

AssertionError

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Almar Klein <almar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Interesting. IEP uses ``os.path.getmtime(filename)`` to establish modification times. It stores that time-value right after saving. Maybe there is some sort of synchronisation issue, where getmtime actually gets the value from *before* the save.

Does the message occur when you want to save, or right after saving? i.e. is the save successful?

- Almar

On 03-11-14 20:35, godi...@gmail.com wrote:
Hey, I'm editing a file that is saved in a virtual drive (and has to be,
for testing purposes).
every time I make a change to it and save, I get the message:
File has been modified outside of the editor:
F:/....
Do you want to reload?
I've attached a screenshot. This is incessant - how do I stop it?

Almar Klein

Nov 5, 2014, 10:20:38 AM11/5/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com

> On the first run of a certain filename it gives back all is fine, but on
> the second (and third, fourth,etc.) of a same filename (e.g. 'F:\TRY1')
> it returns:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> File "<tmp 3>", line 16, in <module>
>
> assert mtime1 == mtime2
>
> AssertionError

Great! We are onto something!

Can you change the assertion statement with:

if mtime1 != mtime2:
raise RuntimeError('File modified after %f seconds' %
(time.time()-starttime))

and add right before the definition of etime:

starttime = time.time()

Now run this a few times. Then we should know how long it generally
takes for the file to get modified.

- Almar

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Almar Klein <almar...@gmail.com
> <mailto:almar...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Interesting. IEP uses ``os.path.getmtime(filename)`` to establish
> modification times. It stores that time-value right after saving.
> Maybe there is some sort of synchronisation issue, where getmtime
> actually gets the value from *before* the save.
>
> Does the message occur when you want to save, or right after saving?
> i.e. is the save successful?
>
> - Almar
>
> On 03-11-14 20:35, godi...@gmail.com <mailto:godi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey, I'm editing a file that is saved in a virtual drive (and
> has to be,
> for testing purposes).
> every time I make a change to it and save, I get the message:
> File has been modified outside of the editor:
> F:/....
> Do you want to reload?
> I've attached a screenshot. This is incessant - how do I stop it?
>
> --
>

> --

Godi Gordon

Nov 5, 2014, 12:20:42 PM11/5/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com

all is fine

>>> (executing lines 1 to 20 of "<tmp 1>")

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<tmp 1>", line 18, in <module>

raise RuntimeError('File modified after %f seconds' % (time.time()-starttime))

RuntimeError: File modified after 1.173440 seconds

from here I'll give you just the last line

RuntimeError: File modified after 1.033213 seconds

RuntimeError: File modified after 1.017766 seconds

RuntimeError: File modified after 1.144906 seconds

RuntimeError: File modified after 1.047736 second

        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Almar Klein

Nov 5, 2014, 4:24:28 PM11/5/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
Ok. This seems to suggest that IEP is not the problem, but there is
something else causing the file to change its modified time.

I suspect that there is some process, either locally, or on the remote
machine, that is detecting the file to be changed and then does
something to it, which causes IEP to detect *that* change.

I'd suggest looking into that first.

If that does not bring a solution, I can imagine that the situation is
annoying. Hpwever, I cannot think of a simple solution that will not
have a bad effect for normal usage. For instance, I can imagine checking
whether the contents have actually changed, but I would not want that; I
want to know if another process is touching my file, even if it leave
the content the same.

Maybe we can have an option to ignore outside changes and just keep
overwriting the file ... dangerous as that may sound.

- Almar
> <mailto:almar...@gmail.com <mailto:almar...@gmail.com>>__>
> wrote:
>
> Interesting. IEP uses ``os.path.getmtime(filename)`` to
> establish
> modification times. It stores that time-value right after
> saving.
> Maybe there is some sort of synchronisation issue, where
> getmtime
> actually gets the value from *before* the save.
>
> Does the message occur when you want to save, or right
> after saving?
> i.e. is the save successful?
>
> - Almar
>
> On 03-11-14 20:35, godi...@gmail.com
> <mailto:godi...@gmail.com> <mailto:godi...@gmail.com
> <mailto:godi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hey, I'm editing a file that is saved in a virtual
> drive (and
> has to be,
> for testing purposes).
> every time I make a change to it and save, I get the
> message:
> File has been modified outside of the editor:
> F:/....
> Do you want to reload?
> I've attached a screenshot. This is incessant - how do
> I stop it?
>
> --
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/____optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
>

> --
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/____optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
>

> --
>

> --

Godi Gordon

Nov 6, 2014, 1:29:20 AM11/6/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps there's a backup in the virtual drive that works non-stop(?)... I guess I'll have to deal with it Thank you very much for your help. This made me more interested in Python and how computers work.

        <http://googlegroups.com>

                 For more options, visit
        https://groups.google.com/d/____optout
        <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>
                 <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.

             To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an
        email to
             iep_+unsubscribe@googlegroups.____com

             For more options, visit
        https://groups.google.com/d/____optout
        <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>

             <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.

        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Lukáš Cerman

Nov 6, 2014, 1:42:47 AM11/6/14
to ie...@googlegroups.com
Hello Godi and Almar,

Godi, what OS are you on? If Windows you may try Sysinternals File
Monitor (aka Filemon, hmm it seems its now replaced by Process
Monitor...long time since I'd been using it...) and observe every
process that touches the file, the kind of operation it does with the
file, etc... it may shed more light on your issue...

With regards,
Lukas