IEP console very slow on Arch Linux

marek...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2016, 11:22:12 AM2/10/16
to Interactive Editor for Python
After some recent system update (python 3.5.1), IEP console has become really slow. It takes about 4 seconds to process any command (e.g. import numpy). Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks!
Marek

Almar Klein

Feb 11, 2016, 8:05:52 AM2/11/16
to marek...@gmail.com, Interactive Editor for Python

I have no idea. Have you tried the obvious uninstall + reinstall?

sg...@cinghiale.de

Feb 14, 2016, 7:19:00 AM2/14/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, marek...@gmail.com
I can confirm these problems on a recent Arch Linux installation. Python 3.5.1, IPython 4.1.1. E.g. a '!ls -l' in a command shell takes several seconds, and the result is displayed slowly in small chunks. This is a new behavior, which didn't show up two weeks ago. Uninstall + reinstall didn't help. It doesn't seem to be an IEP problem - but if I can help with some further investigation, please let me know.

Georg

Almar Klein

Feb 15, 2016, 3:20:38 AM2/15/16
to sg...@cinghiale.de, Interactive Editor for Python, marek...@gmail.com

You could try running python in the terminal to see if its slow there too. Then try IPython in the terminal perhaps. If it works slow there as well, the problem is with your system Python. Otherwise it might well be IEP.

In the latter case ... are you using the IEP binaries, or have you installed IEP “from scratch”, i.e. with your system Python and PyQt4? You could try both approaches.

- Almar

sg...@cinghiale.de

Feb 15, 2016, 3:45:31 PM2/15/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, sg...@cinghiale.de, marek...@gmail.com
Python and IPython in a terminal are OK, the installation from AUR repository as well as the binary installation from IEP site both show the slow command shell.

Georg

Marek Petrik

Feb 15, 2016, 6:29:28 PM2/15/16
to sg...@cinghiale.de, Interactive Editor for Python
It is the same for me, both Python 3.5.1 and IPython work fine in the terminal. They are slow for the binary IEP installation, as well as for an installation from source. Both Python and IPython work fine in Spyder.

Marek

Almar Klein

Feb 16, 2016, 5:44:41 AM2/16/16
to Marek Petrik, sg...@cinghiale.de, Interactive Editor for Python

Strange, what GUI integration are you using?

Feb 16, 2016, 9:21:14 AM2/16/16
to ie...@googlegroups.com, Marek Petrik, sg...@cinghiale.de
Hi
I'm the maintainer of iep in archlinux and a frequent user.
A they mention above for some time console in iep is extremely
slow in archlinux. I have tried to figure out why, but so far no luck.

The environment seem not to be the problem as it is the
same whether I use python2 or python 3 for the console. The respectives ipython
integration also are affected. Also pyqt and pyside are affected.
All this programs are fine when used outside iep. I have even tried
the python install done by conda after a clean install without better
luck. I have tried to downgrade few of the packages to try to find the
problem but I cannot go below python 3.5 without having to uninstall
great part of my system.

I will keep investigating but so far nothing and as it is now is not really
usable. Thanks
Hector
--
Hector Martínez-Seara Monné
mail: hse...@gmail.com

Almar Klein

Feb 16, 2016, 10:10:34 AM2/16/16
to Hector Martinez-Seara, ie...@googlegroups.com, Marek Petrik, sg...@cinghiale.de

What about an older version of IEP?

Hector Martinez-Seara

Feb 16, 2016, 11:06:27 AM2/16/16
to Almar Klein, ie...@googlegroups.com, Marek Petrik, sg...@cinghiale.de
Hi,
I checked this as you request. Iep 3.6 and 3.4 provide now the same slowness
in the console at the moment. Also, I have uninstalled python-pyqt4 bindings to be sure
iep uses pyside. But the result is the same.

Any other idea?
Hector

Almar Klein

Feb 16, 2016, 3:35:24 PM2/16/16
to Hector Martinez-Seara, ie...@googlegroups.com, Marek Petrik, sg...@cinghiale.de

Thanks Hector,

Pfff, so its not related to anything new that we added. This reminds me a bit on the appnap feature that was introduced for OSX at some point. There was not such a feature added to Arch Linux, I presume (a feature that puts idle processes in a sort of sleep mode)?

- Almar

Hector Martinez-Seara

Feb 21, 2016, 12:25:07 PM2/21/16
to Almar Klein, ie...@googlegroups.com, Marek Petrik, sg...@cinghiale.de
Hi,
after some research, I got clear clues that the problem is the the linux kernel.
When I use the latest, 4.4.1-2-ARCH at this moment, then all this slowness
happens. Instead when I use the lts kernel all the problems suddenly disappear,
and everything goes back to normal.
Curiously, when iep is malfunctioning the following problems gets recorded in the systemd
journal system:
kernel: TCP: request_sock_TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 54847. Sending cookies.  Check SNMP counters.
If I do not recall badly the communication between iep windows was TCP using yoton.
Every time, I restart the python console I get again the same message. I guess this is relevant.
Still this does not provide a solution, it just points to the source of the problem.
I hope it helps,
Hector

Almar Klein

Feb 22, 2016, 4:12:50 AM2/22/16
to Hector Martinez-Seara, ie...@googlegroups.com, Marek Petrik, sg...@cinghiale.de

Great that we have something to go on! Reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_flood, it looks like the kernel thinks there is an attack, and supposedly throttles the TCP connection or something. Not sure why the kernel thinks we’re doing that, because AFAICT we don’t interrupt a TCP handshake or anything. Maybe its related to how we try to connect to a free port? https://github.com/pyzo/pyzo/blob/master/pyzo/yoton/connection_tcp.py#L166-L176

hervedu...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2016, 3:28:30 PM2/28/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, marek...@gmail.com
same problem on linux mint kernel 4.4.3. No problem with kernel 3.19

Almar Klein

Feb 29, 2016, 5:55:05 AM2/29/16
to hervedu...@gmail.com, Interactive Editor for Python, marek...@gmail.com

Oh dear,

I bet it’s on Ubuntu too then. That’s bad...

Regards,

  Almar

AnthonyM

Mar 14, 2016, 1:50:46 PM3/14/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, marek...@gmail.com
I am having this problem now on Fedora 23. Any updates since February?

Almar Klein

Mar 14, 2016, 6:40:48 PM3/14/16
to AnthonyM, Interactive Editor for Python, marek...@gmail.com

I pan to find/make time to work on this ASAP. Hopefully next week.

I am having this problem now on Fedora 23. Any updates since February?

Almar Klein

Mar 15, 2016, 6:47:45 AM3/15/16
to AnthonyM, Interactive Editor for Python, marek...@gmail.com

This is now fixed. All should work fine in the next release. To fix locally, edit the yoton.connection_tcp.py and change listen(0) to listen(1). Also see https://github.com/pyzo/pyzo/issues/381

Thanks for the reports, all.

Marek Petrik

Mar 15, 2016, 8:54:04 PM3/15/16
to Almar Klein, AnthonyM, Interactive Editor for Python
Thanks! That fixed the problem for me.