java 1.8 support

Silvano Trinchero

Sep 20, 2016, 1:36:29 PM9/20/16
to iDempiere
Hi community,
we are in the process of migrating from adempiere to idempiere, and part of the process is to formalize what version of software we want to support for our customers.
One point is java version, i would like to support java 8 because java is in end of life, and on the main idempiere page it says java 8 is supported.
As of version 3.1, if i use buckminster to build the installer i have an error if i run it on java 8, because of a check that says java version not >= 1.8.

So, is java 8 a good choice (and its only a matter of supporting it on the build side), or if its an unsafe choice ?

A side question: i have noticed there is no configuration property files for win32 64 bit. Its really easy to make it, but there is some reason (like compatibility issues) not to use it ?

Best regards,
Silvano (Freepath)

Hiep Lq

Sep 20, 2016, 2:29:06 PM9/20/16
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
java is keep back compatibility so good.
so you can run ever version 2.1 with java 8.

=======
some note with java 8:

1. if you run a build with code before rev 10900 you have to apply patch IDEMPIERE-2503
other it's ok.

2. if you love to contribute code back to community remember:
           code of release 3.1 only support syntax of java 7
           code of development support syntax of java 8

from my view it's good to use java8

======
about error relate to version of java when install.
can you provide extract error message and log relate it?
also info about your environment. if you run on window, check environment variable is correct setup.
or just debug/add more log into function test of classs ConfigVM to know what happen

======
configuration fie for win 64 you can get from IDEMPIERE-2987
it don't on core because so easy to create, and no people here use window to run idempiere. almost use linux.

Lê Quý Hiệp
Email: hie...@hasuvimex.vn
Skype: admin.hasuvimex

Company: Thanh Hoa Fishery Import - Export J.s.c  (HasuvimexDL 47
Add: Lot E, Le Mon Industrial Zone, Thanh Hoa, Vietnam

Silvano Trinchero

Sep 30, 2016, 5:42:00 AM9/30/16
to iDempiere
Hi Hiep Lq,
sorry for the very long delay in answering

> can you provide extract error message and log relate it?

The error is not when i install it, but when i build it from buckminster (inside eclipse, to be more precise, running with jdk 1.8), this is the error:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.fx.ide.java6 4 0 2016-09-30 11:29:43.025
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.fx.ide.java6 [458]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Capability: osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version>=1.3)(!(version>=1.8)))"

    at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:434)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1582)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1561)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1533)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1476)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340)
org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: The org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration bundle was activated before the state location was initialized.  Will retry after the state location is initialized.
The installable unit ${product.id} has not been found.
Application failed, log file location: C:\software\eclipse\configuration\1475227781017.log
Installation failed.

I'am a total newbie regarding osgi and its errors, but looks like the problem is related to: org.eclipse.fx.ide.java6.
I didnt find the dependency in eclipse workspace (Searching for org.eclipse.fx.ide.java6 in every manifest), so maybe its a dependency of a dependency or of the build process itself ?
Searching org.eclipse.fx.ide.java6 in the felix console of a running server returned no result, but looks like an ide-related plugin so it makes sense its not deployed in a server.

> 2. if you love to contribute code back to community remember:

We hope to do so, thanks for additional info.

Regards,
Silvano

Hiep Lq

Sep 30, 2016, 6:03:20 AM9/30/16
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
I haven't any information about your road you walk, about your environment. so can't give any guess.
because you are newbie, i think you should read some book first like www.eclipse.org/buckminster/doc/BuckyBook.pdf

Silvano Trinchero

Sep 30, 2016, 10:20:12 AM9/30/16
to iDempiere
Hi Hiep,
thanks, i'll check the book. So, to close it, its just related to my environmente and ususally people con build the distribution if they launch eclipse with java 8 (not just as the jre used to launch, i mean the jre/jdk used to launch eclipse) ?

Thanks for your time,
Silvano (Freepath)