Windows Server 2008 Cold Install Fails

Michael Searcy

Mar 29, 2013, 2:40:35 PM3/29/13
to idem...@googlegroups.com
I am desperately trying to get iDempiere installed on a
Windows Server 2008 Standard (Our Application server)

Background - I have limited experience with VB.net C# ASP.net Java and MS SQL Server 2005. But this small internet startup is basically hiring me as CTO.
I have almost 0% experience with Servers.

I am logging in and launching as administrator the iDempiere 1.0.a Setup
I am trying to follow the iDempiere 0.9.b windows pdf instructions. (Latest I could find)

  1. What I expected
    • I would double click the installer and everything would be up and running in 15 minutes
  2. What happened
    • First I didn't install as admin or even add valid paths.
    • Then I read the instructions and right clicked and hit run as administrator
    • During the install Warning and other stuff were scrolling past, too fast to read.
      • This happened until iDempiere was 318,264% complete
    • I uninstalled postgres and iDempiere multiple times and re-tried multiple times
    • I noticed that putting 'adempiere' as your postgresql password gives you as error so I start using Adempiere followed by numbers and symbols
    • I think I have java & postgresql installed correctly now
      • How do I confirm?
    • Build fails on iDempiere install
    • Starting from the bottom here are the errors/logs.
      • For problems, please check the log file: C:\iDempiere\Import.log
        • 'C:\iDempiere\utils\myEnvironment.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
        • operable program or batch file.
        • Re-Create Adempiere User and import C:\iDempiere\data\seed\Adempiere_pg.dmp - ()
        • C:\iDempiere>cd C:\iDempiere\data\seed
        • C:\iDempiere\data\seed>jar xvf Adempiere_pg.jar
        •  inflated: Adempiere_pg.dmp
        • C:\iDempiere\data\seed>cd C:\iDempiere\utils
        •  Volume in drive C has no label.
        •  Volume Serial Number is 4085-FC22
        •  Directory of C:\iDempiere\data\seed
        • 10/31/2012  06:52 PM        29,499,681 Adempiere_pg.dmp
        •                1 File(s)     29,499,681 bytes
        •                0 Dir(s)  246,022,430,720 bytes free
        • == The import will show warnings. This is OK ==
        • idempiere Database Import $Revision: 1.3 $
        • Importing idempiere DB from C:\iDempiere\data\seed\Adempiere_pg.dmp (adempiere)
        • < was unexpected at this time.
        • C:\iDempiere\utils>@echo Usage: postgresql\ImportIdempiere <systemAccount> <AdempiereID> <AdempierePwd> <PostgresPwd>
      • *** RUN_setup was not successful - please re-run ****
      • Warning Invalid DatabaseType= TimeStamp org.adempiere.db.oracle.config.ConfigOracle test
      • another Oracle config error
      • Database test failing port 1521 (even though ADEMPIERE_DB_PORT = 5432)??
      • It says it is using DatabaseType [1] which is oracle but I am installing postgresql??
      • Almost everything above that is skipped
      • Where do I even begin?
  3. Steps to reproduce
    • Be an idiot like me.
    • Just run the installer then read the documents and not find answers to you errors.
    • Look for the 1800 number.
    • It's open source idiot. You have to go to Google Groups
Help please!?

Michael Searcy

Mar 29, 2013, 3:05:12 PM3/29/13
to idem...@googlegroups.com
I thought I should include the error log for when I run the idempiere-server.bat

!SESSION 2013-03-29 14:43:27.183 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_13
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2013-03-29 14:43:43.350
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.IllegalStateException: idempiere.properties file missing. Path=C:\iDempiere\idempiere.properties
at org.adempiere.server.Application.start(Application.java:44)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:344)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Mar 29, 2013, 5:14:15 PM3/29/13
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I don't know the instructions on the windows PDF

But you can check the sections:
* Downloading Hot Installers
* Installing from Installers
* Running iDempiere from Installers

http://www.globalqss.com/wiki/index.php/IDempiere

As the hot installers include an old database seed you need to apply all migration scripts as explained here:
http://www.globalqss.com/wiki/index.php/IDempiere/Importing_DB_Seed_Manually#Applying_additional_migration_scripts

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

redhuan d. oon

Mar 31, 2013, 8:52:10 PM3/31/13
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,
I am the maintainer of that installer so i will certainly try to assist you here:
1. Since you did not run this as administrator (and for Windows 2008, probably this is mandatory, not so on newer windows it seems), thus you have to uninstall everything before reinstalling:
1.a Go to Windows Control Panel to look for Install/Uninstall Programs and uninstall iDempiere first, then PostgreSQL. You can leave Java 6 alone. But for your case of Windows 2008, i will say uninstall that too.

2. Run iDempiereInstaller again (right click and Run As Admin).

3. Password must be, i repeat, must be, ONLY, 'adempiere' with no suffixes, or added figures. It is hard-coded to avoid mistypes or later issues of forgetting and mixing up passwords.

Note that this installer is just a quick demo option and you should try what Carlos Ruiz advised on that page link. The installer is for early fast but installed instance for preview before deciding on doing the whole setup, which has gotten easier as time passes thus making the installer quite not highly needed in many cases.

Also note that this installer will insist that any applications that shall work with it will be Java 6, of 32 bit OS, that should fit Windows 2008 nicely. Today we are easing into Java 7 of 64 bit machines. And the Postgresql is 9.2.

I will probably make another release later in the year after iDempiere 1.0 production has gone into full release and really tested.

Good luck on your new CTO position.

Etiene Kwebe

Sep 24, 2014, 9:31:28 AM9/24/14
to idem...@googlegroups.com
hi,i have a simple and quick solution to your problem through this link http://wiki.idempiere.org/wiki/IDempiere_Windows_Installer. i hope it helps you

Le vendredi 29 mars 2013 22:14:15 UTC+1, Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gómez a écrit :
Hi, I don't know the instructions on the windows PDF

But you can check the sections:
* Downloading Hot Installers
* Installing from Installershttp://wiki.idempiere.org/wiki/IDempiere_Windows_Installer

Etiene Kwebe

Sep 24, 2014, 9:33:41 AM9/24/14
to idem...@googlegroups.com, michael...@gmail.com
hhhmmm you have an impresive manual but i think you could better go to the link http://wiki.idempiere.org/wiki/IDempiere_Windows_Installer and get your answers.

Etiene Kwebe

Sep 24, 2014, 9:36:08 AM9/24/14
to idem...@googlegroups.com
hi, i can lead you into a link which will help you get answers to your problems and worries. click on http://wiki.idempiere.org/wiki/IDempiere_Windows_Installer. i hope it helps you alot

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Sep 24, 2014, 9:41:38 AM9/24/14
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Etiene, please don't reopen old closed threads to announce a new feature.

I think is better to open a new thread with a proper announcement explaining the work done on the Windows Installer and pointing to the wiki page   ;-)

Thanks for your work!

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz