Add new icons to Icomoon font without changing character codes?

dmo...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2014, 11:25:11 AM9/22/14
to ico...@googlegroups.com
I have client that is making a LOT of icons to use on their web site. The creation of these icons is running concurrently with their actual content creation. As such, it may be quite some time before we have a final set of icons to implement as the icon font.

The problem I'm running into is that once I implement a subset of icons with icomoon and generate the font, then need to go back and add or replace icons, all of the character codes change making my CSS 'broke'. E.g., the character code that at one point displayed a sheet of paper is now displaying the printer icon.

I tried starting with the JSON file each time hoping that would keep things from changing, and thought it was working initially, but when I add a large number of additional icons, the codes still changed.

Any ideas on how to add icons to an existing set without changing some or all of the codes?

Thanks,
Darren

Keyamoon

Sep 22, 2014, 11:38:29 AM9/22/14
to ico...@googlegroups.com
The codes don't change unless you're doing something wrong. Please provide a set of exact steps to follow and reproduce the problem.

dmo...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2014, 12:24:28 PM9/22/14
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Here is the process I'm following.

1. Created a new project named 'Test Proj From Scratch'
2. Imported the initial set up icons from the third party design firm. This was in the form of a svg file named custom-icons.svg
3. Select all 81 icons in the initial set, and hit the font button.
4. I review the codes and corresponding icons, and for example, the twitter icon code is e621.
5. I click the "Selection" button to return to my initial set of 81 icons.
6. I click on the hamburger menu associated with my project and select 'Import to set'.
7. On my local drive, I go to where I've been saving our custom made svg files. Each svg file contains a single icon.
8. I select 10 of my svg files and import
9. I now select my new icons along with the existing icons and click the Font button.
10. The codes did NOT change. So I must have been making a mistake somewhere in the process.

Sorry for my confusion. Maybe this thread will help someone with the steps...

atlur...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2017, 2:51:39 PM3/21/17
to IcoMoon
Thanks for the steps.

odi....@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2017, 4:25:00 AM7/31/17
to IcoMoon
Hello!I have the same probkem.
I often use icomoon to refresh my icon set with new icons or remove old icons. In general, everything is convenient for me. But when I create a font, I notice that the symbol assigned to the glyph arbitrarily changes. This is especially noticeable in mockups made in graphics programs. Graphic programs show the iconic font using symbols assigned to glyphs. When the symbol changes, the glyph also changes. When I update my font on the computer and open the layout, in my layout the icons can very suddenly change. To bring the layout in order every time I spend a lot of my time. The same problem exists for programmers. What should I do, so that the symbols do not change arbitrarily?

Yours faithfully

Keyamoon

Jul 31, 2017, 5:49:28 AM7/31/17
to IcoMoon
Please see this FAQ answer: https://icomoon.io/#faq/codes

ku...@edureka.co

Oct 11, 2017, 9:41:55 AM10/11/17
to IcoMoon
Hi,

I am facing the same issue with the icomoon App. I am following the same guidelines for generating font as you guys have mentioned it like in your FAQ's section.

I tried importing around 450 svg files to a new project and for each of the those files i added a name using the convention "myiconname-U0xe1000" where i wanted my icon unicode to start from e1000 as i already have another library which i cannot mix with this one.
So, now after naming each  file using this format i was able to create around 450 files each of them starting with the name "myiconname-U0xe1000" to "myiconname-U0xe1450".

After doing this, when i generated the font, i could see that some of the unicodes got changed and the sequence got altered. For example, the icon with name "myiconname-U0xe1149" got changed to "myiconname-U0xe114c" along with several others.

I repeated this exercise by uploading the svg files again and again to my library, and every time i clicked on generate font, the icon unicodes got updated randomly.

Can you please have a look at the problem and tell me a solution to fix this problem ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Keyamoon

Oct 11, 2017, 11:04:57 AM10/11/17
to IcoMoon
This might happen if you have multicolor icons in your selection. If that's not the case, please send your files to support AT icomoon.io so that we can reproduce the issue and see what's causing it.