Question about using icon sizes in Icomoon at sizes other than 16 20 24 34

John Drach

Nov 6, 2017, 10:29:02 AM11/6/17
to IcoMoon
I've been given a task at work to come up with some icons at different sizes that don't pertain to the recommended sizes mentioned in the docs inside Icomoon. For example I have one icon that may be 24x20 one at 10x9 one at 16x14.

My question is, can I import these into Icomoon and expect to be able to download these or use them in a sprite sheet and get the exact same fidelity/crispness when I export them out again and then resize them to the original size they were at before import?

John Drach

Nov 6, 2017, 11:26:49 AM11/6/17
to IcoMoon
Also, I noticed that in the app, when you click edit you can set the grid size to be whatever you want. Does mix matching the grids make a difference in the output or should this be best practice?

Keyamoon

Nov 7, 2017, 4:45:13 AM11/7/17
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Yes, for vector images, as long as you use the icons at the right size, the size in the sprite won't matter.

The grid size set in the app doesn't affect the output unless you're generating fonts, in which case it can affect the baseline metric. The grid size is mainly useful for organizing the icons and previewing how different parts of the icon would lie on the pixel grid. If your icons are made with the pixel grid in mind, and if you set the the right grid size in the Edit panel in the IcoMoon app, the lines in your icon would align with grid boundaries.