How can I REPLACE multiple icons?

tony.w...@anystonetech.com

May 1, 2015, 11:50:55 AM5/1/15
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Icomoon appears to be a great fit for app developers who want to use font files to bring images into the app and use the same font files for associated web pages. Well done.

I have a large set of icons that will change and I would like to be able to regenerate and update all the svg files in Icomoon while maintaining the Unicode Point Hex.

I can edit an icon and use the replace button to update a single icon, but when I import the same set again duplicate entires are created.

It would be really nice if when importing a SVG file that matched an existing icon that there was an option to replace, instead of duplicating.

My ideal work flow.
1. Update my icons in their source vector editor and generate the SVG files
2. Bulk import the SVG files into Icomoon - REPLACING the SVG code for icons with the same name.

This would allow me to avoid keeping track of which icons have changed in the source file and individually updating them in Icomoon with the Edit/Replace action.

> Is there a way to do a bulk replace of existing icons while maintaining their codes?

> If not would ou consider this as a feature request?

Thanks.

Keyamoon

May 2, 2015, 5:13:22 AM5/2/15
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your feedback.

What if importing a file would set the code based on the file name? Let's say if the file name contained "0xE001" ("0x" followed by a hex number), the code 0xE001 would be assigned to your icon. In other words, if you have an icon named "home0xE001", your icon's name would become "home" and its code would be "0xE001". Would that be helpful?

tony.w...@anystonetech.com

May 2, 2015, 9:01:14 AM5/2/15
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for providing such a great tool and thanks for the quick response.

Yes I think that is a workable solution, providing if I imported a file "home0xE001" and I already have a icon using 0xE001 that the existing would be replaced with the new one and I could import many files at once.

Of course you then have the problem of knowing what to do it the "Name" and the "Hex code" do not match. Say I have "home, 0xE001" and I import a file "car, 0xE001" or "home, 0xE002". Probably keying off the hex would be best (without thinking to deeply).

Simple rule importing a file with 0xE001 will replace the image and name of an existing icon with same hex.

This might require me to alter my svg files for other uses, but still workable.

Keyamoon

May 2, 2015, 9:42:25 AM5/2/15
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good; but why is it important for the newly imported icons to replace existing ones? You could easily remove your older icon sets. It would be a strange behaviour for the "Import Icons" button to sometimes replace existing icons and other times adds new ones. The alternative would be to add a new "replace" button somewhere; but that's a whole other problem, and I would much rather avoid making the UI more complicated.

tony.w...@anystonetech.com

May 2, 2015, 11:40:49 AM5/2/15
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Right. One could simply remove all the icons and re-import them and the hex codes would stay the same, and global meta data would remain.

The need for replacement is to retain any additional information that has been added for each icon such as tags or ligatures. I have not used these yet, but you want a solution for everyone. :)
Replacing the vector info only based on the svg file name as the key could do this. It is a common design paradigm to offer a Keep Both (and change the name which is current behaviour), Replace and Skip options when pasting items. No new UI changes other than the prompt.

Your idea of using name0xE001 for file names would work for me. I am just thinking of the other meta data associated with specific icons.

There is ways something. :) I agree keeping the UI simple is a great objective. It is nice now.

Keyamoon

May 12, 2015, 12:18:14 PM5/12/15
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Alright, it took a little while but I implemented what you suggested. A prompt would appear to ask the user about replacing vs reimporting. I hope this new feature doesn't upset any older users :)

tony.w...@anystonetech.com

May 12, 2015, 12:32:31 PM5/12/15
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! Thank you. I will give it a try. Great product and great service.

tony.w...@anystonetech.com

May 18, 2015, 8:46:33 PM5/18/15
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Working great. Thank you. This really simplifies my workflow and I am sure it will help others as well.