Accession records

Victoria Peters

Aug 31, 2012, 5:27:19 AM8/31/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I have a question for AtoM users. Has anyone tried adding accession records for past accessions as opposed to brand new accessions? The reason I ask is that until now we have been recording our accessions manually in paper registers (yes, I know we’re still in the dark ages!). I want to abandon them now and enter new accessions in AtoM but I’m wondering about the wisdom of entering all the old accessions into AtoM too. The advantage would be that we could easily search for accession information about collections, which we can’t do at present. It does appear to be possible thanks to the new feature in 1.3 of being able to link existing archival descriptions to accession records but the only problem is that the accession number will have to change. AtoM automatically assigns an accession number so I won’t be able to keep our original accession numbers. I do need to keep these because they’re referenced in several places. I did wonder about adding the old Acc No in the processing notes field so that it could then be searched but I’m not sure if this is a sensible idea. Has anyone else come across or thought about this?

Many thanks

Victoria

Rene Georgopalis

Aug 31, 2012, 12:20:53 PM8/31/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victoria,
We have the same problem as you.  I have decided to ignore the accession number in ICA AtoM and I use the Institutional Identifier data field as the area where we record the actual accession number.  I'm not sure if the artefactual team has another solution.
Rene

Jessica Bushey

Aug 31, 2012, 12:25:28 PM8/31/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rene,

I'm following this discussion and I find your solution to be a valid approach.
With the enhancement introduced in Release 1.3, I expect more users to adopt the accessions module into their workflow.

Regards,
Jessica

---
Jessica Bushey, MAS
ICA-AtoM Product Manager
Systems Analyst
jes...@artefactual.com

Artefactual Systems Inc.
www.artefactual.com

David Juhasz

Aug 31, 2012, 7:21:52 PM8/31/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victoria,

Release 1.3 also supports CSV import of accession records, and the
import has no restrictions on the accession number formatting.
Unfortunately we are still working on the documentation for accession
imports, but it will be posted to
<https://www.qubit-toolkit.org/wiki/CSV_import> when it's ready.

Regards,
David

--
David Juhasz
Director, Technical Services

Artefactual Systems Inc.
www.artefactual.com

ErikaH

Sep 1, 2012, 12:22:00 AM9/1/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello Victoria (et al),
We had exactly the same issue at the Leeds and the Thousand Islands Archives. We did start using ICA-AtoM for new accessions, and we have also used the accession module to enter old accessions. We didn't have to change the old accession number, as I just went into the Admin menu and altered the Accession mask  depending on what older accessions needed to be entered (i.e. instead of year-#i, I put in 1988-#i, so the automatic number accessioning would still kick in, but I could enter the accessions from the year 1988).
Hope that makes sense!
Cheers,
Erika

Jessica Bushey

Sep 1, 2012, 12:30:23 AM9/1/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Erika for that helpful tip!
Here is a link to the Admin -> Settings -> Global explanation and screenshot in the User Manual, if anyone is unfamiliar with where the Accessions mask is located: https://www.ica-atom.org/doc/Global_settings

Jessica

---
Jessica Bushey, MAS
ICA-AtoM Product Manager
Systems Analyst
jes...@artefactual.com

Artefactual Systems Inc.
www.artefactual.com

Victoria Peters

Sep 3, 2012, 5:45:07 AM9/3/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Really helpful! I’ve tried Erika’s suggestion and it works a treat.

Now all I have to do is enter several decades worth of accession records….

Victoria

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Sep 4, 2012, 1:49:39 PM9/4/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, victori...@strath.ac.uk
I have update the User Manual section "Add Accession record" with the results of this User Forum string and a link to the future CSV Import for Accessions documentation page, to make it easier to find for Users.

Jessica

ErikaH

Sep 4, 2012, 3:08:05 PM9/4/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, victori...@strath.ac.uk
Glad to hear it! Good luck, Victoria, with all those records ... :)
Erika

Victoria Peters

Sep 5, 2012, 4:11:38 AM9/5/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com