adding accruals

Rene Georgopalis

Mar 13, 2012, 4:31:22 PM3/13/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am wondering how other institutions are going about adding accruals to ICA AtoM.  If I add a new accession record for an accrual and from there attempt to add it to a previously entered fonds description, I am only able to enter one child item (with lower levels) from this new accrual to the previously entered fonds. For instance, I can add only one series from a new accrual with many files to a previously entered fonds, but I am unable to add several series to a previously existing fonds. Am I missing a step?  I would like to add several series from an accrual to a previously entered fonds via an accession record.  Is this possible?
Thanks,
Rene

Jessica Bushey

Mar 14, 2012, 2:19:41 PM3/14/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rene,

Could you please provide me with a simple step-by-step process. That way I can determine what you are doing and why you aren't getting the results you would like. The outcome may very well be that I need to update the User Manual to assist in the accession/accrual process.

Best,
Jessica

Jessica Bushey, MAS
ICA-AtoM Community Manager

Artefactual Systems Inc.

Rene Georgopalis

Mar 15, 2012, 6:49:01 PM3/15/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jessica,

I have a fonds description already created.  From here a new accession record is entered for the accrual.  After entering the data in the accession record, I go to "Create Archival Description." Then to "Edit."  For the Title Proper I enter the fonds title (the same title as the previous description). From here, I enter child titles at the series level. I select "Move" and try to move the new series to the original fonds description. The fonds title I entered for the accrual now appears as a child to the original fonds description.

I'm sure that I am missing a step.

Thanks,
Rene

Rene Georgopalis

Apr 24, 2012, 11:46:27 AM4/24/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Any thoughts on how to go about adding accruals?
Thanks,
Rene

Jessica Bushey

Apr 24, 2012, 12:12:37 PM4/24/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rene,

If I follow your steps I get the same response from ICA-AtoM.
Creating an accession, generating an archival description and moving it into an existing fonds in ICA-AtoM will place the new archival description as a child of the fonds.
Do you have a use case as an example of when an accrual to an existing fonds would not be a child (e.g., series or file or item)?
Perhaps we need to create another workflow to accommodate instances when accruals are not children in ICA-AtoM.

Regards,
Jessica

Jessica Bushey, MAS
ICA-AtoM Community Manager

Artefactual Systems Inc.

Rene Georgopalis

Apr 24, 2012, 12:47:58 PM4/24/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Jessica,
If one accrual creates more than one new series as well as several files that fit into several series that have already been created in the first accession, how do I track the new accession record as one accrual? To do each new file and new series separately, makes one accrual appear as several accruals in the accession record.
I've tried to make one new accrual in the accession record and then moved on to enter the archival description.  I could have a second fonds description that I can make for the new accrual.  Do I add all files and series here and then delete the second fonds description after I move the series and files of the new accrual into the description for the first accession?
Thanks,
Rene

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Jul 10, 2012, 6:04:30 PM7/10/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rene,

To continue this discussion... I invite you to review the proposed enhancements to accessions in the upcoming ICA-AtoM 1.3 release:  https://www.qubit-toolkit.org/wiki/Accession_module#1.3_Release_Accessions_Enhancements_Introduced. This new section of the wiki page on accessions presents brief explanations of each enhancement illustrated with screen captures of our 1.3 trunk (testing version). I would be interested in receiving any feedback you might have.

Regards,
Jessica Bushey, MAS
ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Rene Georgopalis

Jul 11, 2012, 4:21:02 PM7/11/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jessica,
The enhancements to accessions looks good.  Sometimes our accruals have different donor names when donating members of one organization change over time.  Will we be able to account for different donors with this enhancement?
Thanks,
Rene

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/-/sIVc91rC7zcJ.

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Jul 12, 2012, 12:17:49 PM7/12/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rene,

I just tested by creating a new accession with a donor, then adding an accrual with a new donor, and each donor is associated with their specific accession record and each accessions record (original and accrual) is linked to a single fonds/collection.

Does this answer your needs?

Regards,
Jessica Bushey
ICA-AtoM Product Manager