Some notes (Publication note, Archivist's note and General note) have disappeared...

crisl...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2012, 3:45:14 PM12/11/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

On 30th november, our archivists complained about the language on ICA-AtoM.
They said that the ICA-AtoM interface was changing the language from portuguese to french automatically...

Very weird I thought...

Then, after this strange behaviour on 30th november, they have complained that some notes have just disappeared.

I´ve restored one backup from 29th november and I could found the notes (from tables note and note_i18n) they wanted.

But then I´ve noticed that in fact the notes weren´t deleted from the database...
They were there on the tables note and note_i18n...
But the field object_id on table note was wrong.
This field object_id should be related to one information_object_id, as this note was from one "Archival Description" record.
But this field object_id was linked to the user_id, user table...

These 2 fields of note table, object_id and user_id, have the same value after 30th november...

SOME NOTE DATA FROM 29TH NOVEMBER (correct one)

OBJECT_ID, TYPE_ID, SCOPE, USER_ID, SOURCE_CULTURE, ID, SERIAL_NUMBER
62103, 125, '', 3486, 'pt_BR', 4390, 0
65270, 124, '', 310, 'pt_BR', 4392, 0
65274, 124, '', 310, 'pt_BR', 4397, 0

SAME NOTE IDS DATA FROM 30TH NOVEMBER (incorrect object_ids - the object_ids were equal to user_ids )

OBJECT_ID, TYPE_ID, SCOPE, USER_ID, SOURCE_CULTURE, ID, SERIAL_NUMBER
3486, 125, '', 3486, 'pt_BR', 4390, 0
310, 124, '', 310, 'pt_BR', 4392, 0
310, 124, '', 310, 'pt_BR', 4397, 0

The content of note_i18n table hasn´t changed. It was ok...

Do you have any idea of what could have happened?
Has something weird like this happened before?

Thank you very much,
Regards,
Cristina.

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Dec 11, 2012, 5:17:01 PM12/11/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, crisl...@gmail.com
Dear Cristina,

Thank you for contact us and providing a thorough report. As far as I know,  no one else has reported this behaviour. Our developers are looking into the problem and will respond.

Regards,
Jessica Bushey

Jesús García Crespo

Dec 19, 2012, 11:54:34 PM12/19/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, crisl...@gmail.com
Hi Cristina,

Please read my response below.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM, <crisl...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 30th november, our archivists complained about the language on ICA-AtoM.
They said that the ICA-AtoM interface was changing the language from portuguese to french automatically...

Did you find out the problem? It sounds like a cache problem, we've solved a number of cache issues in the past. Were you running the latest version of AtoM at that time?

[...]

I've been digging into this but I can't find why this would happen. Have this happened again? Have you been able to reproduce it? That would be really helpful to narrow down the problem.

I think that you should file an issue in our tracker (https://projects.artefactual.com/), this sounds like a bug somewhere in the code.

Did the objects 65270 and 65274 changed during that day? In the object table, you can take a look at the updated_at column, that will give you a hint.

Thank you for your report.

--
Jesús García Crespo

crisl...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2012, 3:45:24 PM12/21/12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, crisl...@gmail.com

Hi, Jesús!

We haven´t found out the problem, but this mysterious behaviour hasn´t happened again.
We use ICA-AtoM 1.3.0 version.
All notes were changed on this day, november 30th, when the object_id was set with the same value of user_id...
Then I´ve restored one backup from 29th november and everything was ok.
Based on this data from 29/11 we could restore all this object_id references...
Now everything is ok. After this, we haven´t had any incidents.
We did some tests but we were unable to reproduce the problem.
I don´t think it would be necessary to file an issue, as we are using this note field without problems since then...

These objects didn´t changed during this crazy day...

See data:

class_name    created_at    updated_at    id    serial_number
QubitInformationObject    09/11/2012 15:27    19/11/2012 17:28    65270    12
QubitInformationObject    09/11/2012 15:27    19/11/2012 17:33    65274    10

I would like to thank you for all the support, attention and interest in helping us.
This situation was very weird, I could not explain it, but fortunately it was something totally atypical and isolated.
Just for safety I´ve decided to disable other languages in our Ica!
I strong believe it would not happen again.

Thanks a lot,
Merry Christmas!
Cristina.

Fábio Baqueiro Figueiredo

Jan 3, 2013, 9:26:26 AM1/3/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, crisl...@gmail.com
It just happened to me.

All notes have just disappeared from the interface. Records are still in tables note and note_i18n, but in all notes inserted before the current section note.object_id is equal to note.user_id.

I've run a datadump before this session (mysqldump --user=root --password=cree_rpwd --opt --add-drop-database --databases atom_db omeka_db > $bkpFile), but I had done this before without making the notes disappear, so I don't believe it's related.

I'm running version 1.3. Disabling language 'pt' is not an option.

Best regards,

Fábio

Jesús García Crespo

Jan 16, 2013, 2:41:21 PM1/16/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, crisl...@gmail.com, fabi...@gmail.com
Hi Fabio and Cristina,

Cristina, using the same copy of your database that you have from 2012/11/30, could you look at the updated_at value of the user with id = 310? Actually, it would be very helpful if you can send me a list of rows from the object table that changed in 2012/11/29 or 2012/11/30. Could you do that and send it to my e-mail, please? This query should do the work:

SELECT * FROM object
WHERE updated_at >= '2012-11-29' AND updated_at <= '2012-11-30'

Fábio, you are welcome to do the same.

Also, I'd like to let you know that Dan Gillean from our testing team is right now working on this problem. If we find a way to reproduce it we should be able to fix it soon.

Thank you so much!

Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | +1.604.527.2056

Jesús García Crespo

Jan 16, 2013, 8:30:06 PM1/16/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, crisl...@gmail.com, fabi...@gmail.com
Dan found a way to reproduce this bug and I've committed a fix.
Please read the issue page: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/4539.

We recommend all our users to upgrade!

Thank you for your reports, excellent work!

crisl...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2013, 8:18:46 AM1/17/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, crisl...@gmail.com, fabi...@gmail.com, je...@artefactual.com

Hi, Jesús!

Good news!!! Thanks a lot!
You all did a great work!
Do you think we can apply the patch now?
Many users where updated on 30th november, including the id=310.
I will send you 2 files with the objects which were updated at 2012-11-29 and
2012-11-30.

Thanks again!!!
Cristina.

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Jan 21, 2013, 4:39:59 PM1/21/13
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, crisl...@gmail.com, fabi...@gmail.com, je...@artefactual.com
The fix for notes being erased has been tested and verified.
See: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/4539

Jessica Bushey