RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT: AtoM 2.5 is now publicly available!

Dan Gillean

May 9, 2019, 1:59:28 PM5/9/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Greetings AtoM community!

I'm very pleased to announce that the AtoM 2.5 release is now publicly available - our first major release since the 2.4 release came out in September of 2017!

This release is full of exciting new features, including:
And more!

We've also upgraded AtoM's Elasticsearch search index from version 1.7 to version 5.6, and we've added installation docs for Ubuntu 18.04 with PHP 7.2 and MySQL 5.7, in addition to the Ubuntu 16.04 documentation. Because Ubuntu 14.04 is now deprecated and no longer being supported, we have removed those docs - we encourage everyone to take this opportunity to upgrade to the latest LTS Ubuntu release!

Finally, we have also addressed a number of other bugs (including many reported by our community - thank you!), and added other minor enhancements, including:
  • Reorganizing the settings pages and adding a notification when settings are saved
  • Improving the performance of CSV imports
  • Fixing some permissions issues that gave authenticated users access to pages that should be reserved to groups
  • Further scalability enhancements to the full-width treeview
  • Fixes for several previously untranslatable strings in the user interface
  • Search support for Location and Type in the physical storage module
  • Ensuring the ampersand character can be used in the global search box
  • Removing repository names from the authority record autocomplete fields
  • Adding a results count column to the Genre browse page
  • Adding a search:status command-line task to quickly gather support information on your Elasticsearch index
  • Adding a command-line task that will automatically remove duplicate creator names at lower levels, where inheritance would achieve the same result
And much more! Thanks to everyone who helped report a bug in the last release!

Finally, since our last release, we have transitioned to a new translation platform - this is our first release that includes includes translations submitted via our new Weblate interface. For more information on this change, see:
Thank you so much to all of our volunteer community translators!

For further details and links to the relevant documentation, please see the full release announcement on the AtoM wiki:
We've closed 127 issues as part of this release – you can view more details on each ticket in our issue tracker at the following links:
You can find a tarball of the 2.5 release on our Downloads page, or you can install directly from our GitHub code repository - both options are outlined in our Installation instructions. As always, please be sure to review the Requirements, Installation, and Upgrading documentation for any changes in dependencies.  The 2.5 documentation is still a work in progress, but most of the major changes have now been documented - we will keep adding to the docs in the coming weeks!

Thank you to all of the sponsoring institutions who have helped make this release possible, all the individuals who submitted pull requests or reported bugs via this forum, all our volunteer translators who help make AtoM available globally, and all community members who have helped in so many other way. We couldn't do it without you!

Please let us know what you think of the 2.5 release! And as always, let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

thearch...@gmail.com

May 15, 2019, 12:31:46 PM5/15/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

This is very exciting news (congratulations to the AtoM team on getting this out!).

We are upgrading our AtoM to 2.5 this week, and the question came up whether this release is dependent on the Elasticsearch 5.6 specifically, or whether upgrading Elasticsearch to 6.x or 7.x would also work? Are there any dangers (or conflicts) in going beyond 5.6?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Dan Gillean

May 15, 2019, 1:38:11 PM5/15/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jeremy,

The short answer is: we haven't tested it, and we don't recommend it - because ES tends to be a "move fast and break things" kind of project, I would fully expect there to be some issues. These will likely require analysis and development to address.

Slightly longer, if you care to be the guinea pig and want to report back on what you find:

It looks like you might need to upgrade in steps - Indexes created in 5.x need to be reindexed in 6.x to be readable in 7.x. See:
There are also a LOT of breaking changes in 7.0, it looks like:
It looks like there were a fair number of breaking changes in 6.0 as well:
I don't know off the top of my head if any of these would affect AtoM's index - but I suspect so. You'd probably need to go through the following pages (Breaking changes in 6.1, etc) to double-check as well.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

thearch...@gmail.com

May 15, 2019, 2:10:13 PM5/15/19
to AtoM Users
Thanks so much for the quick response, Dan!

I suspect we will move forward with the recommended flavour of Elasticsearch, but I have suggested we may wish to try the 6 or 7 on a test server, just to see what happens. If we do, I will be sure to let you know!

Cheers,

Jeremy
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com.

Kelli Babcock

May 16, 2019, 9:06:04 AM5/16/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Jeremy,

We're having the same conversation at U of T. Can you share how your testing goes with the higher versions of Elasticsearch?

Take care,
Kelli

José Raddaoui

May 16, 2019, 9:26:01 AM5/16/19
to AtoM Users
Hi all,

AtoM 2.5 won't work with Elasticsearch (ES) higher than 5.x without changes in the source code. The biggest reason is the removal of mapping types in ES 6.x. In AtoM, the ES index must be fully recreated from the database on the upgrade process, that recreation will fail in ES 6.x or higher because the index mapping contains multiples types at the moment, among other reasons.

Best regards.

adam....@trin.cam.ac.uk

May 22, 2019, 11:29:08 AM5/22/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Congratulations and thanks to Artefactual for this. Would it be possible for you to share the PowerPoint presentation of the upgrade you gave (through the ether) to the meeting at Glasgow last week? It would be a helpful way for me to introduce the main changes to colleagues who weren't able to attend.

Best wishes,
Adam Green
Trinity College, Cambridge

Dan Gillean

May 22, 2019, 12:25:23 PM5/22/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Adam,

My first attempt to reply bounced, because the PDF of the slides I tried to attach was too large! Instead, I've uploaded a copy to our SlideShare account, here:
If you need a local PDF copy, please feel free to contact me off-list and I'll be happy to send one.

I didn't explicitly add an open license on the slides, but like all of our resources, please treat them as Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 4.0:
For others on the list: I had the pleasure of briefly joining the recent UK AtoM regional user group meeting held in Glasgow via video conference to provide an update on the 2.5 release, and plans for the future. If you have a regional AtoM user group and would like to arrange a similar update for your group, feel free to contact me off-list! We also have a place to add information about regional groups on the wiki - feel free to create a wiki account and add your own group!
Full details on the 2.5 release, with links to the documentation, can be found on our wiki here:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.