Can't use Anthy anymore. Can someone help?

Roku

Nov 24, 2013, 5:21:30 PM11/24/13
to ibus...@googlegroups.com
I'm on Xubuntu 12.04 running the 1.4.1 version of ibus. Just the other morning I was sitting in here typing in Japanese using Anthy just fine, however, now when I try to switch to Japanese, nothing pops up. I have homework to do. I checked to see if any of the other input methods worked like the Korean one I had installed, and I am able to switch to/ type in Korean just fine, as well as many other languages. However if I set Japanese Anthy at the top of my list, when I press ctrl+space to activate it, nothing changes. That little "i" icon stays there. I even tried manually clicking on it but I still can't type in Japanese anymore. The m17n Japanese inputs work fine, but I need Anthy (so I can switch between Katakana, Hiragana, and Kanji at will).

Takao Fujiwara

Nov 25, 2013, 5:42:14 AM11/25/13
to ibus...@googlegroups.com, Roku
Do you see any errors on terminal if you restart ibus with the verbose mode?

1. Right click on ibus panel and choose "Quit".
2. Run 'ibus-daemon --verbose --xim &'.
3. Choose Anthy.

Are you able to reproduce the same problem with a new user account
instead of the current user account?

The ibus 1.4 is now a bit old to be maintained.
> --

Roku

Nov 25, 2013, 9:22:48 AM11/25/13
to ibus...@googlegroups.com, Roku
ghost@ghost-ThinkPad-X60-Tablet:~$ ibus-daemon --verbose --xim &
[1] 2541
ghost@ghost-ThinkPad-X60-Tablet:~$ RELOADED
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb231_f_fmv_table/=": `=' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/romaji_typing_rule/default/n'": `'' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/nicola_j_table/[": `[' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/nicola_j_table/]": `]' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/kana_typing_rule/default/$": `$' is an invalid character in key/directory names
[...]
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/kana_typing_rule/default//": Can't have two slashes '/' in a row
[...]
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/kana_typing_rule/default/.": Can't have a period '.' right after a slash '/'
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/kana_typing_rule/default/>": `>' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/kana_typing_rule/default/¥": '\302' is not an ASCII character and thus isn't allowed in key names
[...]
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_a_fmv_table/`": ``' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_a_fmv_table/[": `[' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_a_fmv_table/\": `\' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/nicola_a_table/[": `[' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/nicola_a_table/]": `]' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/base/,": `,' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/base//": Can't have two slashes '/' in a row
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/base/[": `[' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/base/.": Can't have a period '.' right after a slash '/'
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/base/\": `\' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/base/;": `;' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb231_j_fmv_table/=": `=' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/nicola_f_table/[": `[' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/nicola_f_table/]": `]' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb231_a_fmv_table/=": `=' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_j_fmv_table/`": ``' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_j_fmv_table/[": `[' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_j_fmv_table/\": `\' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_f_fmv_table/`": ``' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_f_fmv_table/[": `[' is an invalid character in key/directory names
GConf Error: Bad key or directory name: "/desktop/ibus/engine/anthy/thumb_typing_rule/kb611_f_fmv_table/\": `\' is an invalid character in key/directory names

Roku

Nov 25, 2013, 9:25:13 AM11/25/13
to ibus...@googlegroups.com
I tried updating to 12.10 last night but the problem still persists. I also tried to compile the new ibus from source but now I'm stuck on an error saying I don't have dconf installed (I do but it's an older version, and I don't see a more recent version in synaptic.

Roku

Nov 27, 2013, 8:44:44 AM11/27/13
to ibus...@googlegroups.com, Roku

I tried compiling the latest version of ibus from the source. It installed just fine, but I had to start it from the terminal each time and I couldn't even goto the preferences menu to change any of the language options. Do you have any other advice? I'm thinking of just wiping my computer and reinstalling Xubuntu but that's a big hassle since I'd have to backup everything. I'm going to have to try and type my project up on my cellphone, which is a major hassle.

Takao Fujiwara

Nov 27, 2013, 8:34:28 PM11/27/13
to ibus...@googlegroups.com, Roku
I think Ubuntu provides a tool to launch ibus. Maybe im-chooser. It
would be good to ask an Ubuntu alias.

You could check the ibus installation or use the ibus provided by the
distribution.
http://code.google.com/p/ibus/wiki/Install#Build_&_Install_IBus
> > an email to ibus-user+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.

Roku

Nov 27, 2013, 8:54:52 PM11/27/13
to ibus...@googlegroups.com, Roku
ありがとうございます! I ended up using Google Japanese input with ibus 1.4.1. It works just fine, so I have no clue what the problem is with Anthy. I can use this to get my work done now though.