Huge IBM 1800 find (need little help)

Johannes Thelen

Mar 21, 2015, 2:46:58 AM3/21/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Hello!

I'm getting soon full IBM 1800 system, 1801 including 1803 additional core storage, 2804 disk unit and 2310 drives, papercard readers and punchers, printers, terminals.. I mean full truck of IBM! And this machine is absolute mint, it have stood over 30 years in dry and warm warehouse after its service ended! Almost long as I have wander this world :D

But I have "little" problem. I have to bring this whole thing down from second floor via stair case, so that means I have to partly disassemble some units, I can't bring 907kg 1801 down safely that's sure.

What weights inside these units so much, like that 1801 CPU over 900kg and core storage 450kg..? Power supplies? Do anyone have good pictures of inside of units, so I know what wait for? And schematics/wireharness diagrams would be nice if I like to get units back together :D

Thanks!

- Johannes Thelen

Ps. I'll put some pictures of this system later!

John R Pierce

Mar 21, 2015, 3:28:29 AM3/21/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 3/20/2015 11:46 PM, Johannes Thelen wrote:

> What weights inside these units so much, like that 1801 CPU over 900kg
> and core storage 450kg..? Power supplies? Do anyone have good pictures
> of inside of units, so I know what wait for? And
> schematics/wireharness diagrams would be nice if I like to get units
> back together :D

yeah, the transformers in the power supplies are the big weight. the
frames themselves are all heavy duty steel, nothing is lightweight.

most such systems come with a rack of the wiring diagrams specific to
that system.

the internal wiring harnesses are likely pretty brittle after all this
time, and its a lot of fairly random wiring, not simple external IO
buses like a modern rack of mixed stuffs such as
http://pierce.smugmug.com/photos/i-QFKg46V/0/X3/i-QFKg46V-X3.jpg where
its all power cords, ethernet, SAS, and FC.

--
john r pierce, from the mid left coast

James Field

Mar 21, 2015, 2:34:03 PM3/21/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
What an interesting discovery. ...
Please provide machine serial numbers for the main processor frame AND the 2804 disk unit as well as the 2310 "drives"... What kind of drives were the 2310 drives?
Each of the "drives" will have a different serial number in accordance with IBM standard practice. They will have an indication of the IBM factory where they were constructed.

I would be delighted to contribute to your efforts .

James C. Field

Johannes Thelen

Mar 21, 2015, 3:13:08 PM3/21/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, james...@cooptel.net

Hi James!

Yes, I have plan to play little bit this and after that to make real simulation of original use. I'm establishing my computer museum some day...

I'll info serial numbers, soon I get it to my warehouse. What I know sure, it used process control with MPX. Also it was bought straight from IBM not from Measurex (who made process control systems).

More pics and info coming soon!

James Field

Mar 23, 2015, 3:38:15 PM3/23/15
to Johannes Thelen, ibm...@googlegroups.com
I presume that Johannes Thelen has already received the broadcast request to the 1130 community that I made earlier (and indeed requirement, in my opinion). He must provide the IBM issued Product Serial Numbers  of the mainframe or, indeed, any periphrals.
He must, in all honesty,  provide these serial numbers or come under the the scrutiny of the "MODERATOR". I HAVE FELT THE WEIGHT of the moderator's heavy hand when I critisied a member's grammar. Ooops! sorry.
Consider seriously my observations.

Jim Field

John R Pierce

Mar 23, 2015, 3:50:12 PM3/23/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 3/23/2015 12:37 PM, James Field wrote:
> I presume that Johannes Thelen has already received the broadcast
> request to the 1130 community that I made earlier (and indeed
> requirement, in my opinion). He must provide the IBM issued Product
> Serial Numbers of the mainframe or, indeed, any periphrals.
> He must, in all honesty, provide these serial numbers or come under
> the the scrutiny of the "MODERATOR". I HAVE FELT THE WEIGHT of the
> moderator's heavy hand when I critisied a member's grammar. Ooops! sorry.
> Consider seriously my observations.

say HUH? is this some misguided attempt at sarcasm?

--
john, recycling bits in santa cruz

James Field

Mar 23, 2015, 4:10:07 PM3/23/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Absolutely NOT. If he does not provide machine serial numbers then you
Must consider his request as suspicious.
I was once sent on a mission to guarantee a that 360/70 was genuine in
New Jersey on behalf of IPSA and STSC [Q.V.].
I know the tricks...
An honest man has nothing to hide.

Clare Owens

Mar 23, 2015, 4:14:40 PM3/23/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
What request has he made?  I read it as a number of statements of fact and some plans of action.  I didn't catch any requests for international or even local aid.

Clare

Johannes Thelen

Mar 23, 2015, 4:39:43 PM3/23/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, johanne...@gmail.com, james...@cooptel.net

Calm down man! :D

Did you get my mail..? Please check your spam folder if you haven't, I think I reply to you and asked who you are... I have got so weird contacts relating this IBM find, so it would be nice if everyone introduce him/herself who is he/she what is his/her issue... :/

90% mails what I have got relating this IBM, were positive (thanks for all!), but then that 10%... I'll make couple points clear for now, but I have got some weird "where is it, I want to buy it" messages (gold diggers?). IT IS NOT FOR SALE. Not now, not ever. It is impossible for certain terms and conditions, donater wants to keep it in this country and also they want keep machine location secret for now, maybe because they don't want same weird "want to buy" mails like I get... Donater is big company they don't want too much publicity it for now.

Maybe James you understand my point of view also... I have no need to fake this kind of find, why I need to..? What would be the point really..?

But sorry. I'll make full historical review of this IBM's journey from past to present later, as soon as I get permission for it. I have find out this machine's path on Finland, but it would be quite great, if we could track down whole path from factory to here :D

Ps. You'll get serial numbers for sure! I'll pick up small items very soon and I'll check those for you, DONT WORRY! ;)
Pps. I'm not that serious person, so I hope nobody get me wrong ;)

John R Pierce

Mar 23, 2015, 4:55:26 PM3/23/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 3/20/2015 11:46 PM, Johannes Thelen wrote:

> What weights inside these units so much, like that 1801 CPU over 900kg
> and core storage 450kg..? Power supplies? Do anyone have good pictures
> of inside of units, so I know what wait for? And
> schematics/wireharness diagrams would be nice if I like to get units
> back together :D

I found some pictures of an 1800 with the covers off.
http://www.dvq.com/1800/1800.htm

in particular, the main unit:
http://www.dvq.com/1800/scaled/i1800bd.jpg

its apparent the two 'racks' are one piece welded together.
that power box on the lower left is probably massive. above that, it
appears the 6 cages are all on a hinged subframe that swings out, ditto
the cages on the right half behind the front panel (which also is hinged).

Hopefully, your 1800 has this:
http://www.dvq.com/1800/scaled/ndocs.jpg
those are the complete schematics and wiring diagrams of every component
in the system, and are specific to the system they are associated with.

Johannes Thelen

Mar 24, 2015, 3:14:02 PM3/24/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I saw those same Bob's 1800 pics earlier. It seems they didn't spare steel at all ;) I think (or better, hope) there is behind all that stuff somewhere that FE manuals rack.

By the way, have 1800 some better EMI protection than 1130 which would explains some of that giant weight?

Johannes Thelen

Mar 28, 2015, 4:36:04 PM3/28/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I just made little visit yesterday, we made moving plan with plant manager and of course, here's more pics!

However, machine itself wasn't that good as I remembered (maybe I was too high of this awesome scene back then ;), there will be lot of work (like find missing parts, there is some SLT cards picked, GRRRR!) before this runs again. But it is ok, more hobbying! ...I'm optimist as always, you know :D

Something bad, but something good. There is full library of documents! If someone missing some book, document, etc please info! I'll try to find it for you! :)

And what I find inside of 2311! "ONLINE" disk back is labeled 6.1.1986, which is in global format 6th of January (we have here months and days backwards). It was used longer than I excepted, maybe that was very last day of this machine!

Then moving plan: I have now bullet proof plan how I get these down without harming IBM or property of the donater. I'll use sleigh and winch (as someone recommended, sorry I can't remember who, I have got some much good advices! Thanks for those!). I have to make special one: platform of sleigh would be plywood, skies polyamide (industrial plastic) and side supports welded cage RHS steel beams. This whole thing with cabinet is pushed down to stairs and lowered with winch. That should do the trick fast and clean. No disassembling, no fear of tipping cabinets over!

Ps. There is some manuals related 360, but it is 99.99% sure there is no 360, unfortunaly ;)

John R Pierce

Mar 28, 2015, 4:53:09 PM3/28/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 3/28/2015 1:36 PM, Johannes Thelen wrote:
> Then moving plan: I have now bullet proof plan how I get these down
> without harming IBM or property of the donater. I'll use sleigh and
> winch (as someone recommended, sorry I can't remember who, I have got
> some much good advices! Thanks for those!). I have to make special
> one: platform of sleigh would be plywood, skies polyamide (industrial
> plastic) and side supports welded cage RHS steel beams. This whole
> thing with cabinet is pushed down to stairs and lowered with winch.
> That should do the trick fast and clean. No disassembling, no fear of
> tipping cabinets over!

probably a good idea to verify the load limit for those stairs
beforehand... building facilities/engineering should have some idea on that.

this platform you're describing... the racks would be upright on it? so
the platform is like a triangle (from the side) ? how do you get the
chassis off this platform at the bottom of the stairs ? I'm probably
imagining this all wrong :/

Brian Knittel

Mar 28, 2015, 4:55:07 PM3/28/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
HOLY COW! What an enormous system. That operator's console is absolutely amazing.

John R Pierce

Mar 28, 2015, 5:14:59 PM3/28/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 3/28/2015 1:55 PM, Brian Knittel wrote:
> HOLY COW! What an enormous system. That operator's console is
> absolutely amazing.

yeah, indeed. classic 1960s/70s industrial control ... I remember
getting a tour of PG&E (Northern California's main gas and electric
company) HQ in the mid/late 1960s as a kid, they had this enormous
control room with 3 of 4 walls covered in instruments and lights laid
out in a schematic representation of the state-wide grid, and a huge
computer console with a half dozen seats similar to that in the middle
of the room, with a dozen big green screen vector graphics terminals
built into the console. The computer screens were replacing the old
wall of analog gauges and controls, but the analog stuff still functioned.

David Cortesi

Mar 29, 2015, 9:44:05 AM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Wow, "huge" is certainly the correct word for this!

But the dust! The dust! You must leave as much of that behind as possible, not bring it to the new location.

If I were you I would plan on a full day of nothing but vacuuming, to get the surface dust from the tops of things and the floor. During this work you need to wear a mask! I don't know what kind of  industry this is, but that dust is probably NOT good for your lungs!

Especially you need to vacuum out the disk drive(s) and bag them to keep more dust from getting into them.

Here's a "top tip" -- as you vacuum around an object it is easy to suck up small pieces of the object. How to avoid this embarrassing mistake? Put a nylon sock over the end of the vacuum pipe.

When you begin to actually move objects around, you will release more dust, the air will be full of it. Masks for the crew!

I see piles of small objects, boxes, books, disks. I suggest you start by moving all the things that can be lifted by one person. You should do this with two-person crews. On person with a vacuum cleaner, to vacuum dust off all surfaces of the box or object, while the other person lifts it and carries it to a cart to be rolled away to the truck.

With all the small stuff gone, you can move the cabinets, and you will not have to worry about stepping on things.

Do not stack things on top of other things. One layer of things in the cart or hand-truck. One layer on a shelf. Else, later you will lift a heavy box of books and find it has crushed or warped something under it. Do you have enough shelving at the new location?

Have you thought about how to create an inventory of all those things? It would be good to capture your inventory data as you are moving things. After you move them, how will you find them again? You need some kind of location coding scheme for the new site, so later you can go to your inventory and find out, "box of fortran manuals" is just there, and "2311 disk pack #7" is just over here.

Good luck,
Dave C.

Stephen

Mar 29, 2015, 11:31:27 AM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Johannes:

Congratulations on your find!

About the 360 manuals: Bitsavers (http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/) does not have any DOS360 FORTRAN IV manuals, at least that I could find, so those are going to be interesting to many. Are there others?

And one could suggest that dmy makes more sense than mdy when it comes to dates. :-)

Richard Stofer

Mar 29, 2015, 12:48:25 PM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Day-month-year small-to-large in terms of time. Sure, it makes sense! So does the metric system but we're never going to use either in the US. At least not in everyday use at the corner store.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to see that most programmers create data structures in terms of day-month-year or year-month-day. I would probably go with year-month-day because it makes sorting easier. Or some variation of the Julian date which is what I actually used, way back when.

Johannes Thelen

Mar 29, 2015, 1:12:29 PM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, that place is like there have dust storm raged all over the place ;) ...all dust is bad for everyone's lungs, especially dust from stones (what this probably is).

Good advices once again David! We have to use safety shoes, helmets, eye protectors and etc. safety equipment (just rules of the plant). They asked to use ESD gloves and ESD strip on shoes, they afraid this 1800 can be sensitive to static electricity (SLT should not far as I have heard..?), but its fine to me. Also I'll make risk analysis for whole moving operation, just normal ensuring everything is done by the Code.

Small (easy) items first, then difficult ones. That place is so full of everything, there is very hard to get cabinets out without getting rid of all stuff from the floors. We have to also protect some doorways with plastic sheets, so we not dust plant's workers.

We have to make catalog for donater of everything what we carry out there, so inventory of goods comes automatically on that process. I have clean up my warehouse, so we get all stuff safely stored. Good point again David, one box for certain items, otherwise it is big job to find that 2311 #7 disk pack. I have to make packing instructions for volunteer crew (we Finnish people loves byrocracy, oh we love it ;)

By the way, talking about disk packs, what you think David (or anyone) is there any possiability to get these disk packs working again? At Classic Computer Talk, someone (some pessimist ;)  thought they are long gone because of dust, but I think if I just figure out some right gentle cleaning method and fix mechanics of drive, and all that data should be still there. Right? Or have this oxide layer really some physical/chemical properties, so it woud not stand this long storing in dustbowl?

Ps. Thanks once again, I'm sure I'll need that good luck and lot of it ;)

Johannes Thelen

Mar 29, 2015, 1:19:42 PM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Thank you! I have soooo long try find mainframe for my collection, so this is so really lucky strike for me! Sunny shines sometimes for me too :D

When I get all stuff my warehouse, I'll send inventory list to Al (Cossow). He can look if he interested (I bet he is!) something, I'll then send wanted books to him for scanning...and I'll whine them back if I ever get 360 ;)

Johannes Thelen

Mar 29, 2015, 1:24:06 PM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, br...@quarterbyte.com

Yes, hole cow, that was my reaction too! :D It is like Enterprise's bridge. Only what is missing is captain Picard! :D

I probably also get that whole control room interior with me later, I'll store it for future uses. Think how cool would be that with 1800 in working order running original process at (my) museum! It is enormous job, but surely worth it! :)

Ps. ...by the way, did you noticed there is still some lights litting? That plant is still running, however use is little bit different than originally. One funny thing, it runs now lot newer system, but it is almost big as 1800 (you can't make physical IO interfaces smaller u know...)

Carl Claunch

Mar 29, 2015, 2:56:32 PM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
No reason to expect unusual deterioration of the disks - the surfaces and their data should be in good shape, just covered by dust. Cleaning them is a process you must undertake extremely carefully - contact me when you are ready to start. The toughest problem on the drives will be the hydraulic system - deterioration of hoses, seals and the fluid itself. Still, there is reason for optimism.

Carl

James Field

Mar 29, 2015, 3:17:22 PM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I thought that disc drives on the 1130/1800 series were ratchet voice
coil types..

NOT hydraulic?!

Howzat?

Jim

John R Pierce

Mar 29, 2015, 3:25:20 PM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 3/29/2015 8:31 AM, Stephen wrote:
> And one could suggest that dmy makes more sense than mdy when it comes to dates.

personally, I prefer yyyy-mm-dd, ISO style, as it removes all ambiguity.

Peter Vaughan (TNMOC)

Mar 29, 2015, 3:35:02 PM3/29/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
The 2311 used hydraulic actuators.

http://hascomuter.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/ibm-2311.html

- Peter

Mar 31, 2015, 7:06:39 AM3/31/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I left callback yesterday to original programmer and he called me back just hour ago. He is very excited this project :D I bet he'll help on this project!

I'll meet him soon and I'll make full interview. But what we quickly talked, he told some things about this IBM:

He has visited there couple years ago and was aware "Heili" (it is this computer's name, it is also girl's name :) is still there. There was another 1800 which was near by, but it was scarpped at 80s. Also he remembered third one, but its destiny is unknown. I know there was also fourth 1800 in laborotory use in our capital and probably couple more on paper factories. Maybe we did have more of these, I have to make more research...

He promised to call other guys who worked there back then, maybe we get whole group together once again!

He working nowadays on University and mining industry. He is also one of the pioneers of mine process controls.

And now we know how that giant did get there. There was no roof when "Heili" was lowered with crane to the floor. How convenient! However, that is not option anymore, I thin ndonater is not that excited, if we rip off the roof ;)

This was big system and they some parts of system software uses machine language, because Fortran was too slow.

At first this machine was in Sweden. There they tested it and after that it was shipped to here for real action.

More coming later! :D

Ps. James, where is apologize, you accused me a scammer in several emails if you remember..? I sent serial number as you asked, so I think you should know what to do... :/

lauantai 21. maaliskuuta 2015 8.46.58 UTC+2 Johannes Thelen kirjoitti:

[...]

John R Pierce

Mar 31, 2015, 3:25:28 PM3/31/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 3/31/2015 4:06 AM, Johannes Thelen wrote:
> Ps. James, where is apologize, you accused me a scammer in several
> emails if you remember..? I sent serial number as you asked, so I
> think you should know what to do... :/

James is damaged goods, I wouldn't send him anything, rather I would
ignore his silly 'demands'.

Bob Flanders

Mar 31, 2015, 3:33:57 PM3/31/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Johannes,

Do you mind if I post this announcement on the Mid-Atlantic Retro Computer Hobbyist's (MARCH) group list? May be some there who find this of interest as well.

Thanks,

Bob Flanders

Carl Claunch

Mar 31, 2015, 3:48:18 PM3/31/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, james...@cooptel.net
Yes, as you remember the 'ramkit', internal single platter drive with the cartridges used the voice coil and ratchet that generated the buzzing. The same drives are installed in an external cabinet as the IBM 2310 drives, used to expand one of these systems to more than one drive.

What IBM offered in the 1133 Multiplexor cabinet was the ability to install a 360 selector or byte multiplexor channel, thus allowing other 360 peripherals to be installed - most popular were the 2311 disks and 2420 tapes.

Carl

Johannes Thelen

Mar 31, 2015, 4:07:04 PM3/31/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bob!

Of course you can share this! :D

Johannes Thelen

Mar 31, 2015, 4:10:06 PM3/31/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I just feel bad, if I have even suggested cheater, because I have been my whole live honest guy, I have raised to that.

But I think this all was little misunderstanding for both of us (me and James), I thought James is gold digger and James thought I'm scammer. However, I think we are fine now (at least I am)

Bob Flanders

Mar 31, 2015, 5:25:37 PM3/31/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Don't feel bad. It seems that Mr. Field comes from a slightly different point of view. As a heavy-handed moderator, I forbid anyone in the group from feeling bad. ;-)

Mr. Thelen, I feel safe in saying that the vast majority of the members of this group appreciate that you chose to let us know of your find and that you are writing about your progress. We are excited that an IBM 1800 may yet live.

As you probably know, Mr. Claunch has recently rescued an IBM1130 and has gotten the machine running. He has carefully documented the steps from pickup of the machine, to getting it running and interfacing it with modern hardware on his blog. http://rescue1130.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your participation.
Bob

Dave G4UGM

Apr 1, 2015, 4:01:39 AM4/1/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Here Here Bob,

I just worry that poor Johannes has bitten off more than he can chew. It looks a huge find, but even here in the UK where I am relatively close, it is hard to see how I can help except perhaps to send money.

I just wonder if he should set up some sort of formal body, akin to a society, say “Friends of the IBM1800” that folks could join so he could then get some regular cash. Or perhaps some crowd funding to create a space in which to exhibit it.

Dave Wade

Apr 1, 2015, 9:38:46 AM4/1/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dave!

Yes, I know this is HUGE project, but money is not the problem. I have decent incomes, I own CNC & automation company (...and I know what big projects are ;) also I had spared money because I was planning to buy mainframe (IBM, of course) from the states. Those savings are also reserved to this project.

So money is not issue at all nor space, I'll build my own warehouse this summer, and there should be space about 50m2 for this giant. Now I have 150m2 warehouse rented, but it is not best place for fully assembled system (too few space left, too few Amps on socket for full system).

One little trouble is my time, it is normally limited to weekends because I have company what I have to run to keep my living. But I'm not excepting this would run this year, I wish I'll would get some results for end of the summer, like I would get CPU powered up in some condition.

But most big problem is where I get all spare parts. Secondly, even I think I'm pretty sharp guy what comes anything which have rotating parts or flickering lights and I believe these IBM obeys same rules of logic and same electrons as other electrical equipment, but I really don't know every tricks and traps what is waiting me for me, knowledge is needed. But I'm sure I can find here! :D

We Finnish are normally modest, we not bother others our problems and we are also especially stubborn, we do everything by ourselfs and never give up, but I have learned to listen wiser people what comes things what I don't know for sure. So please be patient if I ask lot of (and maybe even stupid) questions ;)

Thanks for everyone, it is truly amazing how much help I have got already. I'm very optimistic (as always) we'll get this run again with together! THANKS! :D

Ps. Btw, here is my company website if someone like to see: www.thelentech.fi

Matt Patoray

Apr 1, 2015, 9:53:23 AM4/1/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is a very awesome score and I am very much looking forward to seeing it rescued and restored. The more old hardware running the better :)

Matt Patoray
Owner, MSP Productions
(330)542-3698
mspprod...@gmail.com
KD8AMG Amateur Radio Call Sign

Johannes Thelen

Apr 12, 2015, 10:15:58 AM4/12/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Some progress...

We made little trip couple days ago and now 1800 is disassembled. It took 6 hours with breaks to diasassemble all doors, side panels, "hats", power sources, floor cabling and etc stuff. Firstly I thought this IBM is like some spaceship on its complexity, but this is quite simple machine. Very straightforward design, every part has own logical place and there is not too much cabling (and everything is clearly labeled!). There was four of us, so I think we made quite progress in that time. Also we had to measure every cable before touching them, there was little possiability there is be still some "hot" cables (mostly because same wires can go throught cable ducts which are still use and electrify floating wires by induction).

Here's pics:

...so we are ready to bring this whole thing down to the stairs at next week!

And then some findings: both 2311 has leaked their fluids and roof has leaked over 1443 (rust). All rubber parts (like flat cabling bounds) are like potato chips. Doors and side panels need new paint. CPU's ALD manuals are long gone, only ALD which we found was for 1443.

But something good too: it seems 1800 99.90% intact (However, there have been visited some "guest stars" in last 30 years, so something can be taken there as souviner or some parts can be removed and put back to wrong places). Also some other nice findings were IO tester inside of 2841 and "Heili's" framed naming testinomy from 1971! :D

More coming later!

Johannes Thelen

Apr 20, 2015, 4:11:47 PM4/20/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

1800 arrived to my warehouse last friday! :D

We had a long day there, like 24 hours long, around 800km driving and not too many breaks... and we face some troubles with the CPU unit. All other items came down with a crawler, but CPU was way too big, it would not be fit to the stairs over the crawler. So we had two options. 1. cut the CPU in two pieces with saw (which was not option at all) and 2. strip down everything of CPU unit, so we could drop weight enough to slide it to stairs over a plywood panel. So that was what we did:

It was still real pain to get it down (all my muscles are still aching ;) , even every gates, power sources and transformers was removed, it still weight like an elephant! :D

But eventually everything went like in the movies, here's photos IBM arriving to my warehouse:

And what comes getting this back together, it is not problem. I just put first gate (door) back, it took below hour to bolt on one of the four gates, find routes for cabling and put connectors to their right spots. It is impossible connect anything wrong, because cable's shape and lenght forces the connector on its right place. Also place for the connector can be checked by cable's sticker (like gate A, array A1, column B, row 2, simple as that),

...so it is not rocket science, I can recommend disassembly if you ever get same situation as I did with moving and you have even little clue what you are doing. Rocket science part comes later, when I try to power this up and if (or when) something is not going to work as it should. Problem is these "guest stars" who may have been removed SLTs and put back to wrong places in last 30 years. Couple array covers was left open and also there is some bent pins on back planes, so there has happen something by curious visitors or sloppy service men ;)

But I'll test all power sources, preload capacitors and double check connections, maybe couple days job. Also I'll change all nasty melted foams to new ones and new rubberbands for cabling and I think we are ready to go for powering this up! :D

Thanks to everyone for good tips so far!

Paul Birkel

Apr 21, 2015, 2:26:30 AM4/21/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
It's gotta feel good when it all "just comes together" (the benefits of great planning and a solid team).  No SNAFU, just that "I earned it" ache at the end :->.  Congratulations on a job well done!

Johannes Thelen

May 1, 2015, 8:16:45 AM5/1/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Paul!

...and sorry for everyone my late reply. My real job is also real pain in the ***, it disturbs my hobbies way too much, hahahaha! :D

This is so big project, some inspiration lost is going to happen for sure. But luckily I have other projects too, so I can rest my nerves with those and get back to this when the time comes. Now the 1800 is going further bit by bit, I have make some inventory of stuff and put parts back their places. Next stop is PSU testing, I have to probably get variable transformer for that job.

I made a blog post of the 1800 (sorry, still in Finnish) : ennenmikrotietokoneita.blogspot.fi

Eddy Quicksall

May 1, 2015, 9:47:22 PM5/1/15
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
If you get it running we can try to enhance my 1830 emulator to run 1800 code. Since the 1830 was designed based on the 1800, it is very close now ... it may just need additions to the peripheral sections. Any volunteers?