Help decoding header cards on system phase decks

Carl Claunch

Nov 14, 2015, 1:13:11 PM11/14/15
to IBM1130
My 1130 came with several System Reload decks, which didn't have every phase present unlike an Initial load deck would. I am recreating a full set of the phases, extracting them from the system file area of my cartridges and producing card decks. However, as distributed by IBM, each phase deck had a plain text header card of the form:
    1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   V2M11xxxxx001

As an example, phase 002 (@DCTL for control record processing) has SBM had this card "    1 SJB 02 11/06/73 DUP-CTRL RECORD PROCESSOR                    V2M12 J0212001" which is not directly derived from the source code posted on IBM1130.org nor is it found anywhere on disk. It appears to include information such as the initials of the last programmer changing it, and the date of assembly, plus a title for the phase and sequence text J0212. However, there is the '02' between initials and the date, whose meaning isn't clear.

Does anyone on the list remember the meaning of the text fields? Any ideas where I might find a full set of the headers?

Brian Knittel did an amazing job recreating DMSV2M12 from source files, but the resulting object files are missing the header information.

Granted that the headers are dropped during system load, and that a load with any arbitrary header text would yield the exact same disk cartridge, word for word, but as a purist I would like to get the proper header cards on the decks.

The ultimate aim is to have the entire set of phase decks as they would be punched by booting the IBM distribution cartridge that runs UCART. I will build a distribution cartridge image, using those cards. That lets enthusiasts completely reproduce the environment they had with a brand new 1130 system and an IBM distribution cart. They could boot the cart and punch out their load deck. Then, they could do an initial system load of DMS on a new cartridge.

It may be that other 1130 owners have the full set of the decks used for a system initial load, in which case I might be able to get copies of those header cards. However, if anyone knew some schema used to produce the cards, such that I could get them close to correct (sans the programmer initial and last assembly date), that would be helpful. Anyone who has the actual header cards for V2M11 and wouldn't mind sending me the hundred plus lines of text, even better.

Carl

Carl Claunch

Nov 14, 2015, 6:10:18 PM11/14/15
to IBM1130
Just an update - looking at a  few headers, the mystery '02' is the same as the phase number in hex.

Carl