1130 Sort

Paul Tremblett

May 19, 2017, 7:31:05 AM5/19/17
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
In the early 1970s, we used a sort that I think was called USORT. It was from Upsala. We were experiencing some difficulties and so we requested and received the source code from the University on microfilm. The reason for my asking about it after all these years is to see if somebody who remembers it knows what algorithm it used. My memory tells me it was quite fast.

Thanks
Paul Tremblett

Bob Flanders

May 19, 2017, 8:40:51 AM5/19/17
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I looked through the documentation at bitsavers (https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/1130/), but the closest I found was this:

Couldn't find USORT.

Maybe someone else has some info on this.

Paul Tremblett

Eddy Quicksall

May 19, 2017, 9:22:14 AM5/19/17
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I have two sorts on my image. One is the DNA sort which is very comprehensive and the other is LSDMF which was a very popular free sort. The DNA sort takes lots of parameters via card images. The LSDMF sort is a simple calling sequence. LSDMF links to the DNA sort. I’m not sure if I can put my hands on the source though.

Eddy

Paul Tremblett

May 21, 2017, 11:15:25 AM5/21/17
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. The name might not have actually been QSORT. I do know it was a contributed program and I do know for ceratin that it was from Uppsala Univeristy in Sweden.

Paul Tremblett

May 21, 2017, 11:15:25 AM5/21/17
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I *meant* to type USORT in that last email.